Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Scorpion's disc...

Go down 
+9
mc666
krokus
Wargod
MetalGuy71
Tall Tyrion
journeyman
KissinMaiden
Fat Freddy
spiritoradio
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 10:17 am

krokus wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
So to get us back on track...

What does everyone think of the new Scorps? I, for one, am really digging it. So much so in fact, it's making me want to investigate their back catalog past the greatest hits I own. There must be some other good music I'm missing.

You have been missings all those increible albums by SCORPIONS??? You realy have to buy some of their classic albums brother.
Anyway, i like their new cd. After the first listening i didnt realy like it much because it sounded to modern but after some time i realy feld the SCORPIONS spirit in their new songs and now i love it.

Yea. I guess I got burned out on hearing "Rock You Like A Hurricane" too much back in the day and never really investigated them any further than "The Best of Rockers & Ballads". Even today, if you listen to satellite radio, the "hair" channel and the "classic rock" channels have 4 or 5 hits that seem to be in constant rotation. I need to hear more of their non-popular material I guess.

In regards to Humanity, since I didn't have much to base my opinion on, it was easy to say that I just liked it. Plain & simple.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 10:27 am

Eyesore wrote:
spiritoradio wrote:
Why are we fighting about this!? It's no big deal. I realized that I should have done a search. I will next time. Let's just let it die.
No one is fighting. =)
just hijacking threads

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 6:09 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
Humainty Hour 1 is only $7.99 this week at Best Buy and it comes with a bonus track. I love first week deals 🤘

Also Heaven and Hell: Live From Radio City Music Hall and Queensryche: Sign of the Times, Best Of... are both $11.99 @ Best Buy. A good week for new tunes.

The double-disc edition of Queensryche is only $16 bucks. That's only $4 more for a bonus disc of rarities. I talked to Gene Simmons and even he thinks that's a great deal. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 8:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
So to get us back on track...

What does everyone think of the new Scorps? I, for one, am really digging it. So much so in fact, it's making me want to investigate their back catalog past the greatest hits I own. There must be some other good music I'm missing.
I personally think their only bad album is Eye II Eye, which is just too mellow and experimental. But like I've mentioned before, "Mind Like A Tree" is killer.

As for the new album, I think it's great. The Best Buy exclusive track is excellent, too. But I find it hard to view this as a "true" Scorpions album and say "they're back." Look at all the songwriting credits. Every song is co-written by at least one mainstream songwriter, usually more than one. And no song has more than one Scorps member on the writing credits. So while it's a great album, it's more or less just a Scorpions album by name, I think.
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 11:01 pm

I was looking at the writing credits and thinking the exact same thing.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 9:30 am

Anything that has Desmond Child's name attached to it is gonna have some mainstream appeal. That's the reason that guy is brought it. It's his job to create "hits". He's gonna turn them into the next Aerosmith, singing Diane Warren ballads. Whatever. Hope it works for them. It certainly has me interested in investigating their back catalog.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 10:12 am

Gonna pick this one up this weekend hopefully.

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 11:51 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anything that has Desmond Child's name attached to it is gonna have some mainstream appeal. That's the reason that guy is brought it. It's his job to create "hits". He's gonna turn them into the next Aerosmith, singing Diane Warren ballads. Whatever. Hope it works for them. It certainly has me interested in investigating their back catalog.
But the dudes that pen tracks for Britney Spears and NSync and Ricky Martin have also written for this album. One thing I think they did right, however, is they kept it a heavy rock album. Aerosmith went the light and fluffy route, as did Bon Jovi and Def Leppard, when they employed the services of these "hit makers."

I wonder if bands do this out of a desire to work with other writers, or if it's part of the industry now where labels sort of force the bands to.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
But the dudes that pen tracks for Britney Spears and NSync and Ricky Martin have also written for this album. One thing I think they did right, however, is they kept it a heavy rock album. Aerosmith went the light and fluffy route, as did Bon Jovi and Def Leppard, when they employed the services of these "hit makers."

I wonder if bands do this out of a desire to work with other writers, or if it's part of the industry now where labels sort of force the bands to.

Me personally, I think it's a waste of time for the Scorpions to hire hit-makers this late in the game. They have their fan-base who will support them no matter what they put out. They're not gonna have a hit with this, no matter who's writing for them. If you weren't a fan of the band to begin with, this cd won't change your mind. And yes, I realize what I just wrote contadicts my previous posts, but I'm in a very, very small percentile. And even then, I got the cd for free. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan to begin with, so chances are, I would not have purchased this, no matter how good the reviews were.

And yes, I think it's more of label pressure to go with outside writers. The bands may not own up to it in the press or in interviews, but for guys that have been in the business as long as Aerosmith, Scorpions, Leppard, etc. that have done just fine with their own material, on some level they must consider it an insult to be forced to work with outside help, especially "hit-makers".
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:42 pm

I just got it a couple of hours ago. On first listen it's not really bad, but nowhere near the caliber of Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout or Love At First Sting. Some songs are pretty good and some just don't sound like the Scorpions I remember at all. They now sound like a modern rock band to me. Granted this is the first Scorpions album I've bought since Crazy World though, so I've missed hearing like their last 5 or 6 albums. Maybe I shouldn't have looked at the picture of the band in the cover. I see they all have short hair now and even look like a modern rock band. Ughh....
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:43 pm

P.S. I'm really going to be curious to see Scott's review of this album. Please let us know what you think Scott.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 3:37 pm

7thsecond, give the new album a change. For shore if you listen to it more times, it will get better and better.
METALGUY71, yes, i understand you. Same thing happend with RUSH for me. I only knew their classics from VH1 etc...but now after buying most of their cds i feel that i should have bought them before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 4:11 pm

It's definitely a great album, but also most definitely a more modern 80s rock album. I think there's a distinction between modern rock like 3 Doors Down and modern 80s rock like the last Tesla album. Humanity: Hour 1 fits in there with the new Tesla.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Just received my copy from BestBuy with the bonus track Cold. So far I really like it. One point, Desmond Child is credited with co-authorship. These are not "his" songs. The whold concept along with Liam Carl is his . The Scorpions brought it to life. Maybe it is really that Desmond needed the Scorpions to bring his story to song. I agree with eyesore on the point of modern 80s rock and this being a perfect fit. just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 11:09 pm

I got the disc this morning and listened to about 3/4's of it and I think it is fantastic! Good job Scorps.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 9:04 am

I understand that this is a concept album. Has anyone heard of plans for a Humanity: Hour 2 or anything of that nature?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 am

I am writing a review for this CD. Picked it up today.

I've listened to it all the way through once and can say it's a good CD. At the same time I agree with whoever said that it's a Scorpions CD in name only. With Desmond Child and a host of pro-songwriters behind them, The Scorps have ended up sounding like a polished, modern, pop rock band. Far from the shrieking metal of "Blackout" and "Virgin Killer." Much like some of the more recent Aerosmith albums that also feature hosts of professional songwriters, I find much to like and enjoy about this album. At the same time, the Scorpions have lost much of their personality.

Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 4:08 pm

I've played it a few times now and it has started growing on me somewhat. I agree though that it just doesn't feel like I'm listening to the Scorpions, that I grew up with anyway. Maybe they should've went ahead and added the "The" in front of Scorpions for this one, as most people mistakenly do anyway.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 3:27 pm

OK, listened to this one a few times now and my opinion sticks. This CD is good, but somewhat generic and lacks that distinct Scorpions 'personality'. With a bunch of corporate pop songwriters writing the songs, rather than the band as a unit, it gives the album as that generic feel.

To me personality defines who someone is. It gives them a distinction from everyone else. On this new CD, other than the vocals, the music is not all that distinctive. Any number of pop rock bands could have written it with any number of vocalists singing it. You could probably throw some of these songs onto the latest Bon Jovi or Paul Stanley (both of which are also credited to Desmond Child) and they wouldn't sound out of place. Several of these songs could easily fit onto American Idol and would fit right in. On the other hand, I can't imagine any other band writing or singing "Blackout", "Still Loving You", "Big City Nights", "Hellcat", "Holiday" etc.. Those songs are distinctly Scorpions. These new songs weren't even written by the Scorpions as a band, thus they lack the personality of the older material.

PostSubject: Re: New Scorpion's disc...   New Scorpion's disc... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Scorpion's disc...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2