Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Disc deterioration?

Go down 
+2
DallasBlack
SAHB Healer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Disc deterioration? Empty
PostSubject: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:18 am

I've read a few articles occasionally that talk about the expected life of CDR recordings. They say 5-10 years max. I've had just a few that have started skipping with no appparent damage, but it doesn't happen very often. Most of my 10 year old CDR's seem just fine.
Also the same articles mention that while factory pressed discs should have a much longer lifespan, those recordings won't last forever either. The reason I bring this up is that I was listening to a couple of early 90's factory discs that sounded kinda crappy the other day. I expect it was just a combination of early 90's production values, and maybe condensation in the piece of equiptment I was using. But I'd like to know if anyone has had any trouble with old and otherwise undamaged factory discs yet?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 6:24 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I've read a few articles occasionally that talk about the expected life of CDR recordings. They say 5-10 years max. I've had just a few that have started skipping with no appparent damage, but it doesn't happen very often. Most of my 10 year old CDR's seem just fine.
Also the same articles mention that while factory pressed discs should have a much longer lifespan, those recordings won't last forever either. The reason I bring this up is that I was listening to a couple of early 90's factory discs that sounded kinda crappy the other day. I expect it was just a combination of early 90's production values, and maybe condensation in the piece of equiptment I was using. But I'd like to know if anyone has had any trouble with old and otherwise undamaged factory discs yet?

My origional Streets: A Rock Opera suffered sound quality after I had it for ten years. Also a lot of my older CDs have a small clicking noise in the background when I play them. These days I put ALL of my music in my Windows Media Player, that way if the disc itself suffers any damage or wear, I have digital back-ups (I just hope I can get back-ups in case my computer ever crashes).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 am

I've not had any noticeable problems and have had some CDs since the late 80's.

I did have a DVD "go bad" on me. Kiss's Detroit Rock City would not play the end of the DVD any longer. I hadn't watched it in a long time. We pulled it out to watch it a couple months ago and it would not play the end of the movie. I threw it out and purchased a new copy.

If discs start deteriorating, someone should sue the record companies who told us that "with proper care your Compact Disc will last a lifetime". Shoot, it's actually printed inside many of the older CDs. Smile

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 9:35 am

I personally have not had any problems with this, but I've seen it happen to a cdr that was kept in a car. My brother (who dj's on the side) keeps lots of cdr's in his jeep and he showed me one that was all deterioated and cracked because it sat in direct sunlight & heat. Of course that's to be expected because my brother is a slob and leaves cd's all over the place. I've also heard that the brand name/make of the cdr may make a difference too, but that's just speculation.

I'm very anal about my collection and my cd's, old or new, work just fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 9:36 am

I have a couple of older CDs that have so much deterioration I can see through them.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 am

firestar wrote:
I have a couple of older CDs that have so much deterioration I can see through them.

Do they still play?

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 10:54 am

Yes they do. One is Faith No More The Real Thing, the other is The Cult's Sonic Temple.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 10:42 pm

ultmetal wrote:

If discs start deteriorating, someone should sue the record companies who told us that "with proper care your Compact Disc will last a lifetime". Shoot, it's actually printed inside many of the older CDs. Smile

I'm reading the fine print on all my Ultimatum discs right now. I've got my eye on a red Mustang lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 1:01 am

The chemicals used to make CDRs break down over time. That time varies depening on the brand of CDR, of course. One of the reviewers at MetalReviews.com is a chemical engineer. He explained it once and was very in depth, but made complete sense. Basically my first sentence sums it up. It'll happen, but when is the question.

I can't remember if regular CDs have this same issue. If I recall correctly, I don't think they do, but they can deteriorate depending on where they're store (cold, hot, wet areas, etc.).
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 2:03 am

I guess that means keeping CD's in the car, especially in extreme climates is a bad idea then? I wonder if cold is as bad as heat? I have some "doubles" of favorites stored outside in a shed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 2:08 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I guess that means keeping CD's in the car, especially in extreme climates is a bad idea then? I wonder if cold is as bad as heat? I have some "doubles" of favorites stored outside in a shed.
Well, heat can warp them. I know that, sadly. Haha. I would assume that extreme cold would also not be good, making them brittle, especially the reflective layer.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 6:40 am

i have cds older than me that still work fine with no problems at all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 6:50 am

TheGooch wrote:
i have cds older than me that still work fine with no problems at all

I have toenails older than you, though. Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 11:12 am

I have records from the 60's that still work. Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 11:40 am

Um, i'm not so sure i'd be shouting that from the mountain tops....you old codger! lol!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Well one thing is for sure, NEVER keep your CDs in those binders with the slips. After a short time the CDs start looking like crap (a lesson I learned the hard way). Luckily for me, they still play on my computer whick allows me to have back-ups if the disc gets ruined. I keep them in their cases now.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 7:08 pm

When's the last time anybody saw a working 8 track player? Seriously. It'd be kinda cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 7:24 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Well one thing is for sure, NEVER keep your CDs in those binders with the slips. After a short time the CDs start looking like crap (a lesson I learned the hard way). Luckily for me, they still play on my computer whick allows me to have back-ups if the disc gets ruined. I keep them in their cases now.
My friend has his entire collection (thousands) in those binders. I used to have one that held 250 and I'd use it for TDYs (temporary duty) in the Air Force. I noticed long ago that the sleeves, though soft, still scuffed the CDs. I don't think they make CDs skip, unless there like a small rock or sand in the sleeve, but too many scuffs over time will cause problems. My friend laughs at me. Too bad for him.

I now use that binder for CDRs in my truck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 7:46 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
When's the last time anybody saw a working 8 track player? Seriously. It'd be kinda cool.

I see em all the time. My dad repairs antique radios and usually ends up dealing with record players and 8 tracks as well. My friend and I still rock Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy,Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell, and Ac/Dc Highway to Hell on 8 track just for laughs.

When I see classic rock 8 tracks real cheap I buy em. I ended up with some extras and was surprised what I got for them on ebay. the extra Alice Cooper that I ended up with got $45 for 5 of em, and got $20 for a pink case Led Zeppelin IV.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 12:42 am

firestar wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

I see em all the time. My dad repairs antique radios and usually ends up dealing with record players and 8 tracks as well. My friend and I still rock Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy,Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell, and Ac/Dc Highway to Hell on 8 track just for laughs.

When I see classic rock 8 tracks real cheap I buy em. I ended up with some extras and was surprised what I got for them on ebay. the extra Alice Cooper that I ended up with got $45 for 5 of em, and got $20 for a pink case Led Zeppelin IV.

You rule! Led Zep in a pink case humble
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disc deterioration?   Disc deterioration? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disc deterioration?
Page 1 of 1