Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mutli-Disc box sets...

Go down 
+13
journeyman
kmorg
DeathCult
XYZ
iamrockerfun
mc666
Thrasher73
Chairman_Smith
manny
tohostudios
Lurideath
thejokeriv
ultmetal
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Mutli-Disc box sets... Empty
PostSubject: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:03 pm

What are some of the better multi-disc box sets you own? Do you like these collections or do you think they are just over-priced, record company products?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:13 pm

The KISS box set - I like the demos and rarities. Other than KISS, I don't own any box sets, since I alreayd have the albums in most of the box sets I would buy. It's a good way to beef up a collection if you don;t have the CD's, but otherwise, a way for the record companies to milk their "product" and get more out the the street - the cost is extremely low to get the box sets out. The recorded product has already been created - they just have packaged it as a new product. They are able to recoup their investment rather quickly on box set - say they need to sell 1 million cd's to start making money on a CD by a major artist (production cost, marketing cost, matierials cost to stamp the CD's, priting) - generally, the biggest cost is the production cost (studio time), you take that out and you can start getting at least a 10% return on your product very quickly.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:16 pm

My favorite that I have is a Venom box set I got 2 years ago!

I love box sets because its a collectible item with usually some killer goodies with it!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:18 pm

I like box sets for bands where I don't want to gather up all their albums. Most of my box sets are the only things I own by those bands. Led Zeppelin and the Clash are good examples.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Some of the best box sets I have are :
KISS-Boxset -agree with all of Joker's comments
Alice Cooper-The Life Crimes of Alice Cooper-Just a great overview of a career and has a fair share of rarietes
Genesis Archieve Vol1-Again a boxset that contains rariites, and libe " Lamb lies Down on Broadway"
Deep Purple-Shades- An excellent sounding boxset that gives equal time to all the line ups, not very many rarities but excellent.
The Doors-Box Set- great overview with demos from 1965-1966 pre Robby Krieger, interesting how both Jim Morrison grew as a vocalist and how important Krieger was to the band. Final is a disappointment it is a comp.

Jimi Hendrix-Experience- Excellent boxset, and it appeals to diehards (lots of unreleased material) and to the novice fan since none of these tracks are throwaways.

disappointments:

Ted Nugent-Out of Control-excellent music but needed more material, and only one or two unreleased recordings.

AC/DC-Bonfire-I love AC/DC and Bon Scott is a personal hero, and I would give this album 5 stars for the music, but it is mostly live recordings (all excellent) and one disc of unreleased material but still not a complete record, and they added Back in Black as disc 5, which I think would have been better served more live recordings or the tracks that appear on the Aussie releases that have not been released here.

Aerosmith-Pandora's Box- I won't smash this, all the material excellent but not enough unreleased recording, but this was one of the first boxsets ever released, so you can't really bash it since it was one of the earlier box sets, hopefully they will re-release this in the future with more non album tracks.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Lurideath wrote:
My favorite that I have is a Venom box set I got 2 years ago!

I love box sets because its a collectible item with usually some killer goodies with it!

I got that boxset used, they way improved the sound on thoses recording are incredible.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:32 pm

I actually tend to compile all the rare stuff off these and burn myself my own CDs, and its usually only one CD.

Led Zeppelin - Boxset; this got pointless after I got all the albums.
Judas Priest - Metalogy
Kiss - Box
Kiss - Alive Boxset
Motorhead - Stone Deaf Forever
Black Sabbath - Black Box
Iced Earth - Dark Genesis
Megadeth - Warchest
Ozzy Osbourne - Prince of Darkness; I dunno why everyone slags on this one so much, theres alot of rarities on this.
Queens - Greatest Hits Platinum
Scorpions - Box of Scorpions
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:37 pm

A couple that come to mind that I like are:

Artillery-Through the Years
Defiance-Insomnia
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:39 pm

I have lots of boxsets, what I don't have is Megedeth-Warchest which I want and Motorhead-Stone Deaf Forever and Slayer's boxset the name of which I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:54 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I like box sets for bands where I don't want to gather up all their albums. Most of my box sets are the only things I own by those bands. Led Zeppelin and the Clash are good examples.

I'm exactly the opposite. The box sets I own are the bands I already own 99% of their material. LOL!

I tend to enjoy them as well because they don't focus on "hits" but rather the meat and potatoes of a band's catalog. Some of my favorites are:
Judas Priest - Metalogy
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - s/t (Box)
Aerosmith - Pandora's Box
Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds, Kings Warriors, Angels
Iron Maiden - Eddie's Archives
Cheap Trick - Budakon!
Alice Cooper - The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper
Motörhead - Stone Deaf Forever!
Kiss - s/t (box)
Kiss - Kissology Vol. 1, 2, & 3.
U.D.O. - Nail to Metal

I'd love to see a box set on ANVIL, RAVEN & MORTIFICATION

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Woops - forgot I have the Alive! boxset. That was a christmas present and the only reason I wanted it was for the Millineum concert. I was, however, happy with the remasters of Alive 1, 2 and 3. Plus, 3 has Take It off which was perviously only available on vinyl
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:59 pm

ultmetal wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I'm exactly the opposite. The box sets I own are the bands I already own 99% of their material. LOL!

I tend to enjoy them as well because they don't focus on "hits" but rather the meat and potatoes of a band's catalog. Some of my favorites are:

Kiss - s/t (box)
Kiss - Kissology Vol. 1, 2, & 3.

Gee, another one I forgot - I guess KISSOLOGY is technically a box set. I guess I just viewed them as DVD's.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:02 pm

I personally love box sets, I just hate how much they cost, I used to run out and buy them the day of release, needless to say those days are over.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:27 pm

I'd like to get the Megadeth - Warchest as well.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:29 pm

i only own 2, the Misfits & Samhain boxed sets. never been opened.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:46 pm

I have the Aerosmith - Box of Fire that has never been opened.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Here are the ones I own

AC/DC-Bonfire
Aerosmith-Pandora's Box
Alice In Chains-Music Bank
Jeff Beck-Beckology
Pat Benatar-Synchronistic Wanderings
Black Sabbath-Under Wheels of Confusion 1970-1987
Tommy Bolin-The Ultimate...
David Bowie-Sound and Vision
Cheap Trick-Sex, America, Cheap Trick
The Clash-On Broadway
Alice Cooper-The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper
Cream-Those Were the Days
Miles Davis-The Columbia Years 1955-1985
Deep Purple-Shades 1968-1998
The Doors-Box Set
Bob Dylan-The Bootlleg Series Vol 1-3 1961-1991
Bob Dylan- The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: 1966 'The Royal Albert Hall" concert
Bob Dylan-The Bootleg Series Vol 7: No Direction Home Soundtrack
Bob Dylan-The Bootleg Series Vol. 8: Tall Tale Signs 1986-2006
Bob Dylan-Biograph
Genesis-Archieve: Vol 1 1967-1975
Jimi Hendrix-Jimi Hendrix Experience
Iron Maiden-Eddie's Archieves
Jethro Tull-20 Years of Jethro Tull
Janis Joplin-Janis
Judas Priest-Metalogy
King Crimson-The Essential King Crimson: Frame by Frame
KISS-Box Set
Led Zeppelin-Box Set
Led Zeppelin-Box Set 2
Metallica-Live, Sh!t and Purge
The Misfits-Box set
Nirvana-With the Lights Out
Ted Nugent-Out of Control
Elvis Presley-The King of Rock n Roll: The 50's Complete Masters
Rod Stewart-Storyeller: The Complete Anthology
T.Rex-T.rex collection
Uriah Heep-A Time of Revelation
Venom-MMV
The Who-Maximum R & B
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:52 pm

never opened 5yrs and continues ...

Nightmare on Elm Street BOX SET.

Mutli-Disc box sets... Nightmare7dvdV

one and only import from Us. man this was so expensive.
but i am the only person who got this Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:11 pm

In Flames - Used & Abused: In Live We Trust (2CD/2DVD)
Life Of Agony - River Runs Again Complete: Live 2003 (2CD/DVD)

Those two are pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:46 pm

I just got Genesis: 1970-1975 for Christmas, and I must say that it is a very cool multi-disc set.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:01 pm

xyz wrote:
I just got Genesis: 1970-1975 for Christmas, and I must say that it is a very cool multi-disc set.

Yes it is. I have that one too, as well as the Genesis Archive #2 1976-1992. Both are excellent IMO.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:10 pm

mc666 wrote:
i only own 2, the Misfits & Samhain boxed sets. never been opened.

Shocked I have both of em too. I listen to the Samhain one alot though, open it man!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 10:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'd like to get the Megadeth - Warchest as well.

Its worth it for the live CD and DVD alone!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:26 pm

I have:

Ozzy - Prince of Darkness
Alice Cooper - Life and Crimes of
Kiss - Box
Rhapsody - Dawn Of Victory (More a special edition, but still in a box)
Iron Maiden - Eddie Head

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:58 pm

I guess I would buy the boxset only if I was a big fan of the band and it came with stuff not avalable anywhere else.

I have
Iron Maiden - Eddie's Archives
Jeff Beck - Beckology
Aerosmith - Pandora's Box
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mutli-Disc box sets...   Mutli-Disc box sets... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mutli-Disc box sets...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next