Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD

Go down 
+7
metalken
kmorg
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
manny
11 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Empty
PostSubject: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:04 am

Finally!

On July 17th, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release Ozzy Osbourne's Speak Of The Devil on DVD in North America. [Pre-book order date June 22nd, MSRP $14.98].

The show filmed at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California on June 12th, 1982, was part of the delayed Diary Of A Madman tour following the tragic death of Randy Rhoads a few months earlier. The audio has been digitally restored and remastered and is now available in DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound for the first time. Speak Of The Devil includes the classics Mr Crowley, Over The Mountain, Crazy Train Flying High Again, Iron Man, Paranoid Goodbye To Romance and many more.

The concert is a perfect snapshot of Ozzy Osbourne’s live performances in the eighties with dramatic staging and masses of energy with a setlist based around his first two solo albums and a few Black Sabbath classics. The line-up for this show features Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Don Airey (keyboards); Tommy Aldridge (drums); Brad Gillis (guitar) and Rudy Sarzo (bass).

Ozzy has always been one of heavy metal's great frontmen and, despite the difficult circumstances, the show presented on Speak of the Devil captures him at his absolute best.

Speak of the Devil Track Listing:

1. Over The Mountain
2. Mr Crowley
3. Crazy Train
4. Revelation (Mother Earth)
5. Steal Away (The Night)
6. Suicide Solution
7. Guitar / Drum Solo
8. Goodbye To Romance
9. I Don’t Know
10. Believer
11. Flying High Again
12. Iron Man
13. Children Of The Grave
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:00 am

Can't wait to get this one.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:05 am

Sharon didn't have them blur out the other guy's faces or re-record their tracks, did she?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:11 am

They should call it something else, IMO...the CD is all live Sabbath tunes.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:14 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Did they call it that because it was from the same tour?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Did they call it that because it was from the same tour?

Yep, and I believe it was the same show that they used air on MTV as part of their MTV Concerts .
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:49 am

I will be buying this!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:39 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I will be buying this!

Me too!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:21 pm

So if I'm reading this correctly, this is from the same tour that produced the 'Speak of the Devil' album, but not the same show. This concert was released in Japan on vhs, but is getting a bells 'n whistles overhaul for the US dvd release. Sounds cool.

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:46 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
So if I'm reading this correctly, this is from the same tour that produced the 'Speak of the Devil' album, but not the same show. This concert was released in Japan on vhs, but is getting a bells 'n whistles overhaul for the US dvd release. Sounds cool.

The Sabbath-set was recorded at 2 shows at The Ritz in New York, the intent was to record those shows for a live album. The Sabbath setlist is open to speculation on why it came about, some say it was done to directly compete with Live Evil...other sources say it was to recoup some money for the Sabbath tunes in the wake of the unofficial "Live At Last" album being issued.

Ozzy dislikes the album (he was pressured into doing it by the record label) and it's been pulled from the US market.

The rest of the tour (including this DVD) featured Ozzy's normal setlist.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:55 pm

So they specifically did an all-Sabbath set-list just to have it recorded for a live album? Seems sort of odd to do that. If anything, it would seem like solo-Ozzy releasing old Sabbath material would be a no-no. I guess they had some reasoning behind it.

I look forward to watching some clips of this dvd on YouTube in the near future. Laughing

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

As stated, this was taken from the continuation of the Diary Of A Madman tour. It is the same setlist that was used on the Diary... tour. Who knows why they are calling this what they are, seeing as SOTD did not come out until just before Christmas that year.
I have seen it said that just like the album of the same name (though different songs), what you are getting is the band playing live as it was recorded, but almost all of Ozzy's vocals are redone in the studio
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
So they specifically did an all-Sabbath set-list just to have it recorded for a live album? Seems sort of odd to do that. If anything, it would seem like solo-Ozzy releasing old Sabbath material would be a no-no. I guess they had some reasoning behind it.

I look forward to watching some clips of this dvd on YouTube in the near future. Laughing

Already there : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgAtjNm9m94
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:07 pm

In 1982 Ozzy was in direct competition with the Dio lineup of Black Sabbath. The "Live Evil" album was announced months before it was released. I personally think Ozzy's label pressured him to quickly record an "all-Sabbath" setlist to prove "he" was the most important aspect of Sabbath and to take away from the sales momentum of the actual upcoming Sabbath live album.

Speak Of The Devil was rush-released a month prior to Live Evil finally hitting the streets.

In the US Speak Of The Devil sold much better than Live Evil, in the UK Live Evil was the bigger success.

I'll probably pass on this release, if it was the Sabbath set I'd probably check it out, but I'm not interested in hearing Gillis play all the Randy tunes.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm

The tour was titled 'Speak of the Devil' because Ozzy toured supporting that album, but the set list remained unchanged.

Don Arden had wanted Ozzy to record an all Black Sabbath, because he owned a piece of the publishing and the original live album with Randy Rhoads, was to be an all Black Sabbath live album, something Randy protested against according to Classic Rock Magazine, but both Ozzy and Sharon wanted to do it, Randy made it clear he didn't but in the end agreed to do ithe live album, and one more studio album, then he was out the door. Randy died before the shows were recorded for the purposed live album and as S.D. stated the live album was rushed released after doing two shows at the Ritz with Brad Gillis.

The DVD is named after the tour the band was promoting.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25801

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I'll pick it up.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 6:55 pm

From what I have heard, Ozzy hates that release because it was all Sabbath tunes and the record company wanted it. That and "Unleased In The East" are my two favorite live albums. I love it for the Sabbath tunes. I was assuming the DVD was from the same show but apparently it isn't.

Either way, this is a must-have because that band line-up is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:05 pm

I got a bootleg copy a few years ago. If this reissue is really cleaned up and remastered, I'll probably get it and sell the other.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:55 pm

This is one of favorite live albums, will have to check it out.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:23 am

Chris Epting of AOL's Noisecreep spoke with bassist Rudy Zarzo (Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake) about Eagle Rock's forthcoming DVD release of Ozzy Osbourne's concert film Speak of the Devil on July 17th. Portions of the interview appear below.

NC: Rudy, the Speak of the Devil show was special, wasn't it?

Sarzo: It really was. I've been looking forward to watching this since seeing the initial broadcast on Halloween in 1982. It was filmed in Southern California so it was a kind of hometown gig for all of us in the band because we all lived in the L.A. area. And of course, what makes it really special is that the person we are playing for, although he is not there in body, is truly present with us. You feel it.

NC: Explain that, Rudy.

Sarzo: It's something I talk about in the liner notes. This particular show was really about capturing something unique. Rarely do you see a band doing a video where the main character or performer is not there. Randy Rhoads is missing - but we were all playing in the spirit of Randy. Every performance that happened after the crash was basically leading us all through the steps of grieving - every single one. And so by the time we were doing that last show, it was a celebration - purely a celebration of Randy Rhoads. By that night we had reached a truly special level and so to have it captured so professionally is very exciting for all of us. And remember, this was really the last tour that featured so much from Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, which Ozzy wrote with Randy. So all of the music that's featured is very special, too.

NC: What was this tour like for you personally? I mean, on the DVD you play with such force and energy – you seem really moved by what is happening on stage.

Sarzo: Over the course of playing with this amazing band, starting when my good friend Randy was there, I had developed that style that you talk about. I learned playing with that Ozzy band, how to really dig deep into the music and become part of the music rather than just playing notes. That's something I have carried with me ever since. Being in that band for those couple of tours w
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD    Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ozzy Osbourne 'Speak of the Devil' DVD
Page 1 of 1