Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil

Go down 
+14
MoonChild
mlotek
MEGATRON
stepcousin
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
mc666
springozzy
chewie
manny
metalinmyveins
GrandNational
James B.
ultmetal
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Choose!
Live Evil - Black Sabbath
Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Vote_lcap43%Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Vote_rcap
 43% [ 13 ]
Speak of the Devil - Ozzy Osbourne
Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Vote_lcap47%Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Vote_rcap
 47% [ 14 ]
they both suck!
Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Vote_lcap10%Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Empty
PostSubject: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:36 pm

The age old debate. Ozzy vs. Sabbath. Randy vs. Tony. Which live album is better and why do you prefer one over the other?

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey Scott, I believe Brad Gillis played on Speak Of The Devil.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:42 pm

I went with Speak of the Dead. And Scott, the guitarist on that album is Brad Gillis not Randy Rhoads.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I like things on each lp better than on the other. For example, Tony's guitar playing fits the tunes way better (of course) Brad's playing is a little over the top for the feel of most tunes, Although I gotta say he did an incedible job considering the circumstances. The band on Ozzy's is somewhat more cohesive and fluid overall. Since Ozzy's doesn't have any Dio material. it's not fair to compare vocalist. Dio is Dio ! Ozzy does Ozzy better than Dio (IMHO)

Since I have no insight on which one is more live than another. The Ozzy release does have more of a concert vibe. Now that I think of it, the decidng factor is Tommy Aldridge. Vinnie is good but somehow misses something when playing the older Sabbath material.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I went with Speak of the Devil, and yes, it is most definitely Brad Gillis on guitar.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I went with Speak of the Dead.

Laughing very hard

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks, yes, I know Brad played guitar on the live album. I was just talking about the age old VS. arguments. Sabbath vs. Ozzy, Iommi vs. Randy, and Speak of the Devil vs. Live Evil. I suppose I should have worded that better to make it clear.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm

James B. wrote:
Brad's playing is a little over the top for the feel of most tunes, Although I gotta say he did an incedible job considering the circumstances.

This. Brad sounds like he'd been in the band and played those songs for ages.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

James B. wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
I went with Speak of the Dead.

Laughing very hard

lol! I'm a big Rage fan, that's what might of got me Razz
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Thanks, yes, I know Brad played guitar on the live album. I was just talking about the age old VS. arguments. Sabbath vs. Ozzy, Iommi vs. Randy, and Speak of the Devil vs. Live Evil. I suppose I should have worded that better to make it clear.

sounds logical brotha

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Black Sabbath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:05 pm

I will say that Live Evil is better than the live Heaven ad Hell stuff.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I actually do not care for 'Speak of the Devil' its not a bad album and considering Brad Gillis had five minutes to learn the set, the guy is incredible, but I prefer Tony Iommi over Gillis, and 'Live Evil' is one of my fav live albums.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:17 pm

manny wrote:
I actually do not care for 'Speak of the Devil' its not a bad album and considering Brad Gillis had five minutes to learn the set, the guy is incredible, but I prefer Tony Iommi over Gillis, and 'Live Evil' is one of my fav live albums.

That was my point, Iommi does his own stuff better. I saw Sabbath for Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules tour. They kicked butt on the H and H tour but kinda sorta phoned in the performance for Mob Rules. Thus my opinion of the lp.

The album cover for Live Evil is pretty kewl. ALOT better than Ozzy's

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:28 pm

I actually like both! I think those were the first albums that I bought from either band.
Back to top Go down
springozzy
Metal master
Metal master
springozzy

Number of posts : 866

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:52 pm

I pick speak of the devil They both good cds. But I think speak is just a tad better than live evil IMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Live Evil by a considerable margin, though I must say the various radio broadcasts from that tour are superior.

Gillis ruins Speak Of The Devil for me, I just don't like the way he plays these classic songs.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:57 pm

i voted that they both suck. they don't actually, i just don't care for live albums.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:14 pm

I voted for Speak of the Devil simply because I've owned and lived with that one longer. Just familiarity really. They're both decent enough for what they are.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:18 pm

I am going to listen to both tonight and see which one I like better. In the past, it would have been Speak of The Devil. I wonder if that will change after I listen to the albums back to back!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:27 pm

I love RJD but I'm just not a big fan of Dio singing Ozzy's songs. But I chose Live Evil because I much rather prefer Iommi and Geezer playing the classics over Gillis and Sarzo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:37 pm

stepcousin wrote:
I love RJD but I'm just not a big fan of Dio singing Ozzy's songs. But I chose Live Evil because I much rather prefer Iommi and Geezer playing the classics over Gillis and Sarzo.

Exactly!

To be honest, I don't like anyone playing Sabbath material but Iommi. I never liked the way Randy Rhoads played the Sabbath songs either.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Live evil. Black Sabbath were on their game on this one. Always wondered why Ozzy choose this tour/concert to release an album. Speak of the Devil sounds like a contract obligation and not a showcase of Ozzy live.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Speak of the Devil by a long-shot. As much as I love the Dio-era, I've never really cared for Live Evil.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm

wmcollis wrote:
Live evil. Black Sabbath were on their game on this one. Always wondered why Ozzy choose this tour/concert to release an album. Speak of the Devil sounds like a contract obligation and not a showcase of Ozzy live.
Speak of the Devil WAS a contract obligation.

PostSubject: Re: Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil   Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live Evil vs. Speak of the Devil
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: