Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog Rock Thread

Go down 
+33
mikeinfla
TheGreatDuck
Medieval Torture Device
Runicen
Lovecraft
Headbanger Man
Eyesore
journeyman
cruedevil71
Thelemech
MetalRob331
Citanul
corplhicks
80s Metal Lady
Boris2008
Temple of Blood
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
holydiver97595
DeathCult
QuothTheRaven
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
Tur-Thalion
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
exact33
mlotek
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
Wurthless
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

absolutely 100%, those sessions from 'In A Silent Way' and 'Bitches Brew' ignited a massive firestorm of creativity, both the new and established alumni who were involved put out amazing records in the decade to come. Anyone here into prog who hasn't checked out those records and also the output of Tony Williams Lifetime, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Weather Report, Herbie's Mwandishi band, et al, definitely needs to do so asap, that whole world and what lead up to it is a revolution in itself.

Of course we also can't forget the names who were doing crazy stuff and didn't blow up in the same way.........
here here. agree completely.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Lasercd.com is having a great $3 sale on Progrock Records releases. Lots of excellent albums on that list.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Such a great Saga tune! Those early albums had GREAT covers as well!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 pm

That Saga is gorgeous stuff. I'm gonna look into that.

Chewie, I've been curious for a long time now; what is the artwork in your avatar from? I dig it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 8:41 pm

I've been meaning to dig into the Saga discography for a while now.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Chewie, I've been curious for a long time now; what is the artwork in your avatar from? I dig it.

Its the inside sleeve from an easy listening album.

Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Brass%20laced
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 pm

chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

And like that I'm scouring the internet for this record.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 10:49 pm

corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

And like that I'm scouring the internet for this record.
I found it at Dimple Books/Records on Arden for about $1. All the Stereo Action albums have really cool inner sleeve artwork. Here's a couple of others I have:
Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Stereo_action_addeo_round
Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Latin-esque2

Sorry about the hijack!
I'll put it back on track with another early Saga tune.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 am

lol Not you're fault bud; I'm the one who was curious. But thanks for the info; I'm gonna seek these out.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 pm

new on InsideOut - Knifeworld - The Unraveling:

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 11:43 pm

exact33 wrote:

Diggin' on that!  headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Have you heard these guys, Alex?

Took this album with me on my two-week vacation and was reminded of how awesome it is. Easily one of the best albums Sensory has released.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 8:21 am

Eyesore wrote:
Have you heard these guys, Alex?

Took this album with me on my two-week vacation and was reminded of how awesome it is. Easily one of the best albums Sensory has released.

i have not but i like that. I will have to get it on my next order from ken.

Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 8:30 am

While it's impossible to really tell anything from that clip, with new Threshold, Flying Colors and now Enchant - September's looking like a pretty good month prog-wise.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 11:57 am

I tried hard to "like" bands like Yes and Genesis , but I don´t know ... what´s "wrong" ... can´t get into Yes ... neither Genesis ... I don´t know, I think I should give them another chance ... someone told me that "Camel" is "typically" prog rock ... then I checked it ... COULD NOT GET INTO IT ... so boring mellow self indulgent stuff that almost made me fall asleep ... I´m starting to think that Prog Rock is not for me (altough I do like some of what is called Prog Metal ) ...
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 12:52 pm

I was listening to some King Crimson (gotta check out some more) and some ELP (Tarkus) ... "listeneable" stuff , but it doesn´t get my blood "pumping" ... Its OK , but I must confess I prefer my Metal much more than this ...
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 4:59 pm

It's not for everybody, if you like it check out more, if you don't like it then stick to what you do like.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Headbanger Man wrote:
I was listening to some King Crimson (gotta check out some more) and some ELP (Tarkus) ... "listeneable" stuff , but it doesn´t get my blood "pumping" ... Its OK , but I must confess I prefer my Metal much more than this ...

Prog rock isn't metal, if that's what you are looking for you are barking up the wrong tree.
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Headbanger Man wrote:

Prog rock isn't metal, if that's what you are looking for you are barking up the wrong tree.

Not just the wrong tree, he's in the wrong forest.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 am

Headbanger Man wrote:
I tried hard to "like" bands like Yes and Genesis , but I don´t know ... what´s "wrong" ... can´t get into Yes ... neither Genesis ... I don´t know, I think I should give them another chance ... someone told me that "Camel" is "typically" prog rock ... then I checked it ... COULD NOT GET INTO IT ... so boring mellow self indulgent stuff that almost made me fall asleep ... I´m starting to think that Prog Rock is not for me (altough I do like some of what is called Prog Metal ) ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "typically prog rock". If you're referring to a band that is representative of the genre in general then there's no such band as the term "progressive rock" covers a wide range of styles from gentle acoustic stuff to extreme metal.

It is true that Camel are on the mellow side, which sounds like it's not the sort of thing you're into. How do you feel about Rush? They might be more to your tastes, especially their earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 am

Rush is cool, altough I m no "expert" about ther material ...

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:57 am

Headbanger Man wrote:

The real beef with getting into prog is that liking an album by a band is no guarantee that you'll like everything they put out. It's like being a Lou Reed fan in that way.

If your main point of reference coming in is metal and harsher metal at that, you'll do much better seeking out more "accessible" and "heavy" prog. I'd strongly recommend Thrak or The Power to Believe by King Crimson. If that doesn't do it for you, might be fairer to say that what they do just isn't your bag.

Genesis and Yes... Eh, they're acquired tastes. And, in both cases, even among the fanbase, there are debates about "when they stopped sounding like themselves."

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Btw, that Agusa track is AMAZING!  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog Rock Thread
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next