Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heavier Prog Rock

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am

What are the old Prog Rock bands that lean towards a more edgy / heavier sound rather than the mellow stuff of Yes for example ? I´d appreciate some recommendations, thanks .
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Now we're talking! Glad to see things have moved on to a topic of substance. And balance.

Jokes aside, here are some off the top of my head:

Atomic Rooster
King Crimson
Jethro Tull
Uriah Heep (some may debate this)
Lucifer's Friend (sick shit! Everyone needs to get lost in the album Banquet)
Deep Purple, mostly early on but still...
A host of Kraut rock bands like Weed, Ash Ra Tempel, and bands with names that I can hardly spell. That's a damn cool rabbit hole to drown in.

And of course, the greatest prog band on earth and in history...Rush!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Great list, Hicks. Weed is a great album. I’d add the 1st Captain Beyond. 2nd album is gold too. Toe Fat. Colosseum II... hell, I could go on.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 1:23 am

^^I've always found that Message album sort of hilarious.

How could I forget Captain Beyond??

EDIT: Thanks for helping me choose my music for the night, Akel! I had to throw that Message album on.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 6:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
^^I've always found that Message album sort of hilarious.

How could I forget Captain Beyond??

EDIT: Thanks for helping me choose my music for the night, Akel! I had to throw that Message album on.

Nice!!! No prob, man.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 7:02 pm

I wouldn't classify Tull as  the "heavier side" of prog; they're certainly no heavier than Yes.

I need to think about this because while prog is not really in my wheelhouse, I know I've run across some "heavy" prog bands (other than Dream Theater of course). 

I'd almost put Shadow Gallery or Royal Hunt in there but I wouldn't really call either of them "heavy" either.

EDIT:

And can we get the OP's definition of "old"?  To me stuff like Shadow Gallery or some Royal Hunt is "old" because it came out in the 90s and/or early 00's.  Are we talking "really old" as in 70s or just stuff not released in the last 10 years or so?

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Shadow Gallery and Royal hunt are both heavy at times. Since we're not talking prog metal I think they count.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 10:46 pm

I'd add Haken and Riverside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heavier Prog Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavier Prog Rock   Heavier Prog Rock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavier Prog Rock
Page 1 of 1