Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog Rock Thread

Go down 
+33
mikeinfla
TheGreatDuck
Medieval Torture Device
Runicen
Lovecraft
Headbanger Man
Eyesore
journeyman
cruedevil71
Thelemech
MetalRob331
Citanul
corplhicks
80s Metal Lady
Boris2008
Temple of Blood
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
holydiver97595
DeathCult
QuothTheRaven
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
Tur-Thalion
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
exact33
mlotek
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
Wurthless
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
No one mentioned U.K.?
I thought that we did......... Love both UK albums!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 11:19 pm

John McLaughlin was VERY influential on both the prog and fusion movements. He was the guitarist on Miles Davis' Bitch's Brew album which caused a major stir in the musician community in 1969. McLaughlin become a major player almost overnight thanks to his involvement with Davis and his early solo recordings and work with Tony Williams' Lifetime.

Along with Larry Coryell (Gary Burton Quartet, Eleventh House) the two of them essentially wrote the book on jazz/rock fusion guitar playing.

Late 60's jazz was very popular in the prog rock community and you can hear it all over the prog recordings from the early 70s.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 10:46 am

S.D. wrote:
John McLaughlin was VERY influential on both the prog and fusion movements. He was the guitarist on Miles Davis' Bitch's Brew album which caused a major stir in the musician community in 1969. McLaughlin become a major player almost overnight thanks to his involvement with Davis and his early solo recordings and work with Tony Williams' Lifetime.

Along with Larry Coryell (Gary Burton Quartet, Eleventh House) the two of them essentially wrote the book on jazz/rock fusion guitar playing.

Late 60's jazz was very popular in the prog rock community and you can hear it all over the prog recordings from the early 70s.

absolutely 100%, those sessions from 'In A Silent Way' and 'Bitches Brew' ignited a massive firestorm of creativity, both the new and established alumni who were involved put out amazing records in the decade to come. Anyone here into prog who hasn't checked out those records and also the output of Tony Williams Lifetime, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Weather Report, Herbie's Mwandishi band, et al, definitely needs to do so asap, that whole world and what lead up to it is a revolution in itself.

Of course we also can't forget the names who were doing crazy stuff and didn't blow up in the same way.........

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 83628 

Not sure that this is going to be to most of you guys taste but I know that there are people who dig Astra and Radio Moscow and this group has members from both. I'm still a little unsure about this but this has definitely made me want to hear more.

And I'm gonna post this too. because I like it and because that's a really cool album cover! Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 7:49 am

New Moon Safari coming!

Himlabacken vol. 1 due out 10/1/13 in the US

rest of the album on bandcamp:

http://moonsafari.bandcamp.com/album/himlabacken-vol-1

80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:07 pm

It's the usual suspects for me...

I'm a big fan of: Genesis, Jethro Tull, and Kansas. I also like the Alan Parsons Project if they can be put in this category.

I like Styx, but they are kind of hit and miss for me. I have some Rush and Yes but not enough to consider myself a fan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Anytime I hear someone describe Styx as "prog" I throw up just a little. Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 1:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
Anytime I hear someone describe Styx as "prog" I throw up just a little.  Laughing very hard 
Pet peeve of mine as well; it seems they're widely described as prog since they have a couple of time sig/tempo/key changes. IMO they're just bland 70's hard rock. But I do enjoy Come Sail Away.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 am

Well... well... you know what, guys? YOU KNOW WHAT?

I'm gonna play some Styx RIGHT NOW.

"suite madame bluuuuueeeeeeeeeee....."

ahhhhhh yeah. listening to music 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm

The 2013 Progressive Music Awards happened today in England, here are the winners.

Limelight Award (best new artist) - Sound of Contact
Band of the Year - Marillion
Album of the Year - Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)
Breakthrough – Big Big Train
Anthem – Von Hertzen Brothers, Flowers And Rust
Event – Steve Hackett, Genesis Revisited at Hammersmith Apollo
Grand Design – Family Box Set
Virtuoso – Mike Portnoy
Visionary – Steve Hillage
Guiding Light – Thomas Waber, founder of InsideOut
Lifetime Achievement – Dave Brock
Prog God – Ian Anderson
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 11:43 am

S.D. wrote:
The 2013 Progressive Music Awards happened today in England, here are the winners.  
Have you heard these guys, SD? I only have one album, Stars Aligned, but I really like it. I'm assuming the 'Flowers & Rust' tune is from their latest album. Really nice vocal harmonies in their music. I'd love to get more from them, but they are pricey imports.

That song gives you a decent idea of their sound, but check out some of their other stuff for more depth.

EDIT: Here's a better example. Love this song.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 3:56 am

I recently discovered the Von Hertzen Brothers. Great band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 pm

This is from their latest album. It sounds like Soundgarden with more complex vocal arrangements.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Sounds like they're getting more aggressive. Not that it's a bad thing. The stuff on Stars Aligned is mellower.

I like that tune though.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:56 pm

I've never considered Von Hertzen a Prog Rock Band. It's got that British Rock sound with some odd arrangements here and there. Cool band nonetheless...

Blue Mammoth is a band I've been spinning a lot lately as it takes me back to the Yes, Uriah Heep, Kansas days of Prog Rock and those are some killer bands IMO...

Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 pm

S.D. wrote:

Limelight Award (best new artist) - Sound of Contact
Band of the Year - Marillion
Album of the Year - Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)
Breakthrough – Big Big Train
Event – Steve Hackett, Genesis Revisited at Hammersmith Apollo
Grand Design – Family Box Set
Virtuoso – Mike Portnoy
Visionary – Steve Hillage
Guiding Light – Thomas Waber, founder of InsideOut
Lifetime Achievement – Dave Brock
Prog God – Ian Anderson

That is great that Ian won Prog God - the more recognition that man gets for his genius the better.
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 am

Citanul wrote:
I recently discovered the Von Hertzen Brothers.  Great band.
Me too. From scanning this thread a couple of weeks ago, actually. Just wanted to say thanx to MetalGuy71 and S.D. for posting those vids.
I've been really into prog again for the past few years after a long hiatus.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 pm

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Anytime I hear someone describe Styx as "prog" I throw up just a little.  Laughing very hard 
Pet peeve of mine as well; it seems they're widely described as prog since they have a couple of time sig/tempo/key changes. IMO they're just bland 70's hard rock. But I do enjoy Come Sail Away.
You don't even consider their early work "prog"?
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 12:43 pm

I can see where people find prog in early Styx. Same with Asia in a way. Both bands somewhat peeked in that awkward time after prog and in the middle of that shiny,slick,cheesy, AOR period.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 am

Suite Madame Blue is definitely a prog tune. I find a lot of prog in their Wooden Nickel Label stuff..... Heavy prog like Uriah Heep.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 3:45 pm

The Windmill - The Continuation is blowing my mind!!!!

Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 am

I don't have The Continuation yet (I ordered it recently so it's on it's way), but I really enjoyed their first album and the tracks that I've heard from The Continuation sound just as good.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 1:43 am

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm

this is one of my recent favorites:

journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 11:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
Yup, and that's a really good thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog Rock Thread
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next