Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog Rock Thread

Go down 
+33
mikeinfla
TheGreatDuck
Medieval Torture Device
Runicen
Lovecraft
Headbanger Man
Eyesore
journeyman
cruedevil71
Thelemech
MetalRob331
Citanul
corplhicks
80s Metal Lady
Boris2008
Temple of Blood
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
holydiver97595
DeathCult
QuothTheRaven
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
Tur-Thalion
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
exact33
mlotek
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
Wurthless
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 8:53 pm

chewie wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:
Not sure if this qualifies or not, but it is as close as they got. A long track, but around 7 minutes in is "Fanfare For The Common Man".

Actually, they do. They have a lot of excellent Prog tunes. Suite Madame Blue is an awesome Styx prog tune as well!

Grove Of Eglantine
Young Man
The Serpent Is Rising
Castle Walls
Mother Dear
Man Of Miracles
A Day
Father O.S.A.
Evil Eyes
Golden Lark
This Old Man
Lights

and so on...

They might have done it differently, but they are one of the great U.S. Prog bands of the 70s. Kansas being the other and they were way more progressive. Unfortunately, they both had chart success and a lot of Prog Snobs don't like that!

Love me some sticks (and Kansas) and just heard "Castle Walls" this morning in the car as it's on one of my classic rock comps.
I got to come to this thread more often; lotsa good tunes being shared here. "Suite Madame Blue" a song about America turning 200 is my fave Styx song.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2016 12:07 am

Nexus from Argentina
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 am

Funny, I got kind of ripped on for mentioning Styx earlier in this thread Laughing
Avoided this thread for a while and now see they're mentioned again.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 2:19 pm

damn that Mondo Drag is cool as hell. I made a spotify playlist of that album to listen to later.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 12:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmYG1Pv1_Q

really interesting doc about the production of Peter Gabriel 4: Security.
Back to top Go down
70srockfan
Metal novice
Metal novice
70srockfan

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 pm

What about May Blitz, Captain Beyond, Curved Air, Bodkin, Birth Control. All these were great prog rock bands and the 70's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 11:54 am

yeah dude you listed some really good shit. i especially like Captain Beyond, Curved Air, and Birth Control.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 pm

70srockfan wrote:
What about May Blitz, Captain Beyond, Curved Air, Bodkin, Birth Control. All these were great prog rock bands and the 70's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!! headbanger

All good stuff! I think I'm not familiar with May Blitz, though.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2016 8:30 am

Toto had prog influences but was never really considered a true prog band. Still, ever since getting a little box set of their first five albums in the last week, I am enjoying them. Mixing Motown influences with prog and AOR music was certainly different at the time. Much better band than Asia, too, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2016 11:29 am

muckie wrote:
Toto had prog influences but was never really considered a true prog band. Still, ever since getting a little box set of their first five albums in the last week, I am enjoying them. Mixing Motown influences with prog and AOR music was certainly different at the time. Much better band than Asia, too, IMHO.

Oh Yeah. They have prog touches everywhere. Have you checked out the Dune Soundtrack?
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2016 12:44 pm

I've enjoyed the first two albums so far but not really digging Turn Back. Hoping Toto IV will be better, as it's the next one I have to listen to. I know it's also the most commercial.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2016 11:19 pm

I couldn't decide if this is prog or retro but it isn't s sabbath clone and has cool '70s keyboards so here it is! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2016 2:19 pm

that album art looks really trippy. cool vibes. i'll have to check that out (and the new Saor track too).
Back to top Go down
Hawklord
Metal student
Metal student
Hawklord

Number of posts : 228

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 8:15 am

Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog Rock Thread
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7