Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog Rock Thread

Go down 
+33
mikeinfla
TheGreatDuck
Medieval Torture Device
Runicen
Lovecraft
Headbanger Man
Eyesore
journeyman
cruedevil71
Thelemech
MetalRob331
Citanul
corplhicks
80s Metal Lady
Boris2008
Temple of Blood
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
holydiver97595
DeathCult
QuothTheRaven
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
Tur-Thalion
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
exact33
mlotek
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
Wurthless
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Runicen wrote:

The real beef with getting into prog is that liking an album by a band is no guarantee that you'll like everything they put out.

Which is basically the entire point behind prog in the first place, to do something new instead of finding a sound and then recording the same exact album 15 times in a row.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 1:20 pm

Lovecraft wrote:
Runicen wrote:

The real beef with getting into prog is that liking an album by a band is no guarantee that you'll like everything they put out.

Which is basically the entire point behind prog in the first place, to do something new instead of finding a sound and then recording the same exact album 15 times in a row.  

Hell, if you're lucky, it's what makes liking ANY artist interesting, but particularly with prog, yeah.

Sadly, nobody passed that memo on to the "prog metal" bands...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:13 pm

Runicen wrote:
Btw, that Agusa track is AMAZING!   Shocked 

the whole album is amazing. Great stuff!!!

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 pm

So I've been wanting to collect me some Saga lately and I learn they have something like four hundred albums out! I ended up scoring one in the bargain bin, 20/20--I'm almost certain this couldn't be their finest hour, as it is one of the most horrible things I've ever heard. Recommendations, please?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 am

corplhicks wrote:
So I've been wanting to collect me some Saga lately and I learn they have something like four hundred albums out! I ended up scoring one in the bargain bin, 20/20--I'm almost certain this couldn't be their finest hour, as it is one of the most horrible things I've ever heard. Recommendations, please?

I would recommend anything from Saga thru Heads Or Tail.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 1:46 am

Sorry I had to run off for dinner, so I cut that short. I love this band, but none of their albums are 100%...... there is always 1 or 2 clunkers on each album. Heads Or Tails is really good despite its very slick production. Definitely avoid Pleasure And The Pain, Wildest Dreams and Steel Umbrellas(especially Pleasure And The Pain)! The Security Of Illusion is an excellent reunion album, not very proggy, just good songs. Of course, Worlds Apart has the "On The Loose" and Wind Him Up". If you like AOR based prog you'll dig it!

As usual, I found some samples:

That song has a killer ending section!

Love the atmosphere in that song.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 2:07 am

^^Yeah that's more like it. 20/20 feels more like a straight-up AOR album with shoddy production and quasi-proggy moments. This stuff sounds much better, especially that Ice Nice number.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 3:40 am

I'm not too familiar with Saga, but I think their first four albums are generally regarded as their best. Another of their albums that might be worth checking out is The Chapters Live - those first four albums and then some of their later ones had various chapters of a story, and the live album has a complete performance of the them in order (they were out of order on the original albums).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 7:12 am

corplhicks wrote:
^^Yeah that's more like it. 20/20 feels more like a straight-up AOR album with shoddy production and quasi-proggy moments. This stuff sounds much better, especially that Ice Nice number.

Saga has always been more AOR than prog, in my opinion. I just got 20/20 the other day, in fact, and I don't hear much difference. Still proggy, the production is fine, and much heavier than the early stuff.

I saw a new album at Newbury Comics yesterday, though it came with a bonus live album so they were selling it for $20. Pffft!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 am

What I've heard of Saga always came across more like a proggy version of Queen to my ears. Very slick and radio friendly. Actually, I'm kind of curious as to why they didn't achieve more mainstream success with that sound.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Oops. I got album titled mixed up. Full Circle is the album I'm talking about. I don't know if I've heard 20/20.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 am

New Rocket Scientists album coming on December 9th!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Jazz Fusion/Progressive Rock band Special Providence has a new album coming out in March. I enjoyed their last album quite a bit so I'm looking forward to Essence Of Change.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Yeah, dig those guys.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:54 pm

S.D. wrote:
Jazz Fusion/Progressive Rock band Special Providence has a new album coming out in March.  I enjoyed their last album quite a bit so I'm looking forward to Essence Of Change.

The first 60 seconds of that I was thinking, nah, a bit too self indulgent for me but I'll admit to being quite into it by the end. I think that I still have a year or two until I'm officially required to love jazz fusion lol!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 4:06 pm

S.D. wrote:
Jazz Fusion/Progressive Rock band Special Providence has a new album coming out in March.  I enjoyed their last album quite a bit so I'm looking forward to Essence Of Change.

That's nice!!!!!

I would love to play that kind of stuff with someone around here!
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 2:40 am

Some really good offers here: http://www.progrock.co.uk/acatalog/LOVE_PROG.html

A Magnum boxset with five albums for just £12! I can see myself spending a lot of money in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Medieval Torture Device
Metal novice
Metal novice
Medieval Torture Device

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 pm

My fave prog:

Proto-Kaw
Yes
Rush
Dream Theater
Neal Morse
Transatlantic
Flying Colors (prog influences sprinkled throughout)
Kansas

And probably some I missed.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 8:28 pm

S.D. wrote:

I like it quite a bit. Need to check this band out.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 am

Medieval Torture Device wrote:
My fave prog:

Proto-Kaw
Yes
Rush
Dream Theater
Neal Morse
Transatlantic
Flying Colors (prog influences sprinkled throughout)
Kansas

And probably some I missed.

some great stuff mentioned there! Welcome to HoM!

Medieval Torture Device
Metal novice
Metal novice
Medieval Torture Device

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Thank ya!
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 8:20 am

I'd thought that Alpha Flood (a project featuring members of Frost*, Threshold, Pain of Salvation and Darkwater) was dead in the water, but they revived it under the name of AudioPlastik and the album is now out.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 1:45 pm

New album from The Tangent is out soon.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Hotel of the Laughing Tree.

Might be a tough sell here by calling these guys prog at all, but I like to call them progressive alt-rock. Maybe not a perfect genre tag, but it works for me.

Anyway, fantastic band either way. The alt-rock tag is accurate, but give it a shot. They're like Flying Colors meets Franz Ferdinand. Excellent stuff.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 3:45 pm

My favorite prog record in quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog Rock Thread
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next