Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog Rock Thread

Go down 
+33
mikeinfla
TheGreatDuck
Medieval Torture Device
Runicen
Lovecraft
Headbanger Man
Eyesore
journeyman
cruedevil71
Thelemech
MetalRob331
Citanul
corplhicks
80s Metal Lady
Boris2008
Temple of Blood
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
holydiver97595
DeathCult
QuothTheRaven
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
Tur-Thalion
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
exact33
mlotek
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
Wurthless
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:24 am

DeathCult wrote:
Voivod did some great prog albums:

Dimension Hatross
Nothingface
Angel Rat
The Outer Limits

All of them are must haves IMO

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 6:01 am

Arena
Marillion (early)
Pallas
Spock's Beard
Kansas
Enchant
Pink Floyd
Neal Morse
Starcastle
Salem Hill
Yes
Styx
Rush
Genesis

Just realized as I typed this I was wearing a t-shirt of one of the greatest prog albums of all time:

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Cover_29362117102008
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:07 am

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Rush_2D00_Logo_5B00_1_5D00_

Best prog rock band in the world IMHO. And one of my all time favorite bands period.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:44 am

What about the first two Queen albums? Those are very proggy at times. And Rush without a doubt, also one of my favorite bands (also one I need more of in my collection).
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 am

holydiver97595 wrote:
King Crimson is my favorite out of prog rock, also Stone Temple Pilots, but they're a bit heavier (which, in a way, shouldn't be a problem for this forum xP)

Stone Temple Pilots? hmmm
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 pm

I never really thought of Stone Temple as prog. More grunge/post-grunge.

But I've not heard all their albums either, so maybe I am missing something.
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I never really thought of Stone Temple as prog. More grunge/post-grunge.

But I've not heard all their albums either, so maybe I am missing something.

Ehh, I have a tough time with genres Razz I always felt they had a progressive edge for their... "scene"? I don't know what the word would be, but they went beyond the norm of grunge/post-grunge, IMO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 am

The last STP album I actually filed with my Power Pop collection (!) I liked it but it certainly didn't sound like classic STP. It was kinda Cheap Tricky.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 am

I've heard STP called allot of things, but "prog rock" was never one of them. Very Happy

By the way, welcome back SAHB. Nice headbaning goat ya got there.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am

I can see why some would consider Stone Temple Pilots more prog than grunge. They sure didn't sound like most of the grunge bands.

http://vimeo.com/24755011

I also understand the Cheap Trick comparison.

https://youtu.be/CyEfwG402vs
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 7:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've heard STP called allot of things, but "prog rock" was never one of them. Very Happy

There's a first time for everything! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 pm

A pretty good "Intro to Prog Rock" article from the AV club.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-guide-to-the-best-and-a-bit-of-the-worst-of-prog,79776/1/
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:47 pm

A quick skim of this thread and I did not see Bigelf mentioned...so:

Bigelf

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:24 pm

rugh;ewgor how did I miss this thread?

I have been getting into a lot of French prog which has some amazing amazing stuff..

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 62353

the debut from Pulsar, which is a superb piece of spacey, psychedelic prog..the SHM issue of the album sounds as crisp as anything else that could be named. Their newest one 'Memory Ashes' is amazing too, and 'Halloween' is the critic's choice, but check this record out.

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Clearlight+-+Forever+Blowing+Bubbles+%28featuring+David+Cross%29

My favorite from Clearlight, although the debut is also very good. This one is just so quirky and imaginative, very good stuff, mostly instrumental as well.

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Cover_45719112009

and obviously Magma....'Köhntarkösz' is likely my favorite, and is probably a good introduction to the band, as it isn't as heavy on some of the elements which some people think are obnoxious about the band. :p
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Magma has some great releases, the "invented language" that all the songs are sung in can be a bit off-putting to some people I'm sure, but musically it's amazing stuff.

I really like their debut album Kobaia.

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 61dH6eE46QL._SL500_AA280_

another band that straddles the psychedelic side of prog is Ash Ra Tempel.

Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 61E8JtCJ59L._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 5:57 pm

I would venture to say that the last two albums by The Call, Red Moon and To Heaven and Back both are definitely proggy. Other albums like Reconciled and Into the Woods are not proggy as a whole have songs on them that are pure prog rock.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
rugh;ewgor how did I miss this thread?

I have been getting into a lot of French prog which has some amazing amazing stuff..

No Ange????

Those are the two albums I have. I haven't listened to those in a looooong while..............
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 pm

YESSSS new stuff for me to hear!

here's some more stuff to be mentioned:

awesome Swiss stuff e.g. VDGG.

You gotta talk about some of the fusion coming out in the era....mind blowing..Mr. Hancock here and his Mwandishi band..

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
YESSSS new stuff for me to hear!

here's some more stuff to be mentioned:

awesome Swiss stuff e.g. VDGG.

You gotta talk about some of the fusion coming out in the era....mind blowing..Mr. Hancock here and his Mwandishi band..

That Mwandishi stuff kicks ass!!!!!!! A great three album run!
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 4:47 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Arena
Marillion (early)
Spock's Beard
Kansas
Pink Floyd
Rush
Genesis

This all, i have seen Fish from Marillion at the Sweden Rock Festival and it was awesome (way better than what Marillion is up to this days)

I have to name some german prog bands, i think i mentioned them before but:
Grobschnitt (Solar Music Live is just enormous)
Eloy (Eloy, Inside, Ocean)
Anyone's Daughter (Piktors Verwandlungen is a musical version of the story by Herman Hesse, Adonis & In Blau are also great

Some more german stuff:
La Düsseldorf - Viva from 1978, great album (It was basically a reformation of "Neu!" and they only released two albums, the other one, Individuellos from 1980 is lame
Novalis - Sommerabend from 1976. Sommerabend means Summer evening and it just sounds like that, pretty mellow but prog as it's meant to be, quite long (3 songs, over 38 minutes)
Schicke Führs Fröhling or SFF - they are quite well known and were pretty big in Germany in the 70's. They had two very excellent albums with "Symphonic Pictures" and "Sunburst", they are basically instrumental only and really great.
Another good german band is Triumvirat. They had 3 really great albums: "Illusions on a double dimple", "Spartacus" and "Pompeii" but there's a warning as they are VERY keyboard heavy so if you don't like keys...stay away from them!

and

Camel - Great Band, Mirage & The Snow Goose are in my oppinione their best albums
Shadow Gallery - I love them, can't go wrong with any of their albums but Tyranny & Room V are 2 albums that have 1 big story. Try to get the 2 CD Edition of Room V as it has a very good 25 minute long medley of Pink Floyd Songs)
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 pm

That Ange is good, I need to get a couple of those records..

Camel, ditto on the Camel mention... the latest Camel album, which came out a few years ago, is surprisingly good as well, check it out:

..and more crazy French stuff here, this album rocks pretty hard:

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:31 pm

one of my favorites, Moon Safari.

Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't know if they've been mentioned in this thread yet, but I quite like Gentle Giant.

They were an awesome live band, as well as in the studio.

I also really dig Chris Squire's solo album, Fish Out of Water from 1975. It's definitely the best solo album from a Yes member that I've heard.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:11 pm

I might have to check out that Chris Squire album as I've never been too into the Yes solo projects, but if it's definitely good enough, why not.

John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra turned almost into full on prog with 'Apocalypse'....which George Martin also produced, stating it was one of the best things he had ever worked on...check out some of that live material...this record goes off the charts.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:00 pm

No one mentioned U.K.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Prog Rock Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog Rock Thread
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next