Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the official OPETH thread

Go down 
+29
MetalRob331
glassprison
onrypt
Thelemech
journeyman
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Wurthless
Wayne
thejokeriv
Rex
Eyesore
Jesusandmetal23
MetalGuy71
Joe
troublemagnet
The_Jayroh
nevermore
DallasBlack
Approval Guy
Doomdance
Shawn Of Fire
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
shamgar75
Gilbert
Sutekh
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 am

I still need to get this. I might buy it together with the new Cynic in a few weeks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
OK, a couple of spins into Heritage now...I think it's brilliant!!!!

Agreed...and it keeps getting better the most I listen to it. I've hardly played any other albums for the past month.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:40 am

I don't feel like combing through the last few pages, so I'm asking here...

Is there multiple versions of this album available? You know, regular single cd, 2 disc-deluxe-limited edition, super-duper-fan packs, etc.? What's the best version to get? Keep in mind, I typically don't watch the dvds.

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:51 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I don't feel like combing through the last few pages, so I'm asking here...

Is there multiple versions of this album available? You know, regular single cd, 2 disc-deluxe-limited edition, super-duper-fan packs, etc.? What's the best version to get? Keep in mind, I typically don't watch the dvds.

The deluxe edition is the one to get. It contains 2 bonus tracks on the DVD, as well as a 60-minute making of documentary and a 5.1 mix of the entire album. The bonus version also contains a download card for .mp3 versions of the bonus tracks. I picked up my copy at Best Buy.

There is also very pricey LP and box set versions, but the regular deluxe edition with CD+DVD is sufficient.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 am

Cool, thanks.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 10:10 pm

A few listens in and it's starting to gel nicely. Really starting to enjoy it now!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 3:34 pm

After touring for almost 2 years supporting Heritage, Opeth is getting ready to head back into the studio to start work on their 11th studio album.

Mikael provided a couple hints about the possible direction of the album.

When asked whether it will be a heavier record than Heritage his response was:

“Maybe a little bit heavier. Not death metal heavy, but hard rock/heavy metal heavy. There’s also lots of progressive elements and acoustic guitars, but also more sinister-sounding riffs. It will be an expensive album. There’s a lot going on, lots of string arrangements that we haven’t had in the past.”

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm definitely interested; Heritage was a fantastic record. If this one's anywhere near as great, I'll probably really enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Opeth is one of those bands that wouldn't bother me by wildly experimenting with or changing styles. Hell, if they went ska I'm sure it would sound good.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Opeth to change their sound again? I'm in!
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Looking forward to new Opeth. I have enjoyed everything they have done from the beginning, and as a rule, I do not enjoy death vocals. There is something about the quality of musicianship and Akerfeldt's clean vocals that draws me right in. Once I understood the dark/light organization of their earlier work, I was hooked. "Bleak" from Blackwater Park still gives me goosebumps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
There is something about the quality of musicianship and Akerfeldt's clean vocals that draws me right in. Once I understood the dark/light organization of their earlier work, I was hooked.
Exactly my experience. I love all their albums.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Looking forward to this! I didn't get into Opeth until Heritage - SD spoke so highly of it, I had to give it a shot. Killer album, saw them on the tour with Mastodon/Ghost and they killed it.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 pm

I'll listen but I haven't cared about a full album since 'Damnation' (that was half), so..
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 6:09 pm

After hearing so much good stuff about these guys, I decided it was time to investigate myself. My local fye had the Candlelight Years box set (Orchid, Morningrise, and My Arms, Your Hearse). I snatched it up, figuring I would start at the beginning. 

I am blown away. I love all 3 albums. These guys rule. I need more.

I figured I would keep collecting in chronological order, unless there are compelling reasons to do otherwise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:08 pm

I discovered them in 2008 (around the time of Watershed) and I worked my may backward through their catalog. Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered what order I discovered them in because I ended up loving every single album.

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 pm

S.D. wrote:
I discovered them in 2008 (around the time of Watershed) and I worked my may backward through their catalog.  Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered what order I discovered them in because I ended up loving every single album.  

Sweet. Maybe I'll just toss the rest of the discography on my Christmas list for the Mrs. Smile

I can't decide which of the first three I like the most. My Arms, Your Hearse jumped out at me more immediately, but I'm not sure I like it any better than the others. "Demon of the Fall" OWNS, though.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 2:37 pm

MetallicSeminarian, wait until you hear Still Life. "Face of Melinda" is chillingly beautiful. I didn't think anything would top "Bleak" from Blackwater Park as a favorite track for me, but this one comes close. Blackwater Park is the first album of theirs that I heard, then Ghost Reveries. I also bought the Candlelight Years box as a way to get the first three economically. They have yet to disappoint! headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 3:01 am

The first Opeth I got was the DVD "Lamentations: Live at Shepherd's Bush Empire" which contains 2 sets.  The first set is the entire Damnation album performed live (plus Harvest from Blackwater Park) and the second set features various tracks from Deliverance and Blackwater Park.  This was the perfect way to ease myself into their sound and get accustomed to Mikael's harsh vocals in the second set.  I really think starting with a concert film helped my appreciation of their sound, I've always enjoyed watching musicians perform their material, it adds another dimension since I'm the type of person that dissects and studies everything.  I was so impressed by their performance on the DVD it was a done deal that I would buy all of their albums immediately.  

Then I just worked my way backward from Watershed to the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 6:28 am

For some reason I've avoided Opeth like the plague but I'm listening to Heritage now and wondering why? Embarassed 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 11:23 am

Boris2008 wrote:
For some reason I've avoided Opeth like the plague but I'm listening to Heritage now and wondering why? Embarassed 
Heritage is a brilliant progressive rock album, I played it almost every day for a year after it came out. Never got tired of it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 12:45 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Heritage is a brilliant progressive rock album, I played it almost every day for a year after it came out.  Never got tired of it.
But it has very little in common with their other albums. Something starting with Heritage might be a bit shocked if they check out Orchid next.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Heritage is a brilliant progressive rock album, I played it almost every day for a year after it came out.  Never got tired of it.
But it has very little in common with their other albums. Something starting with Heritage might be a bit shocked if they check out Orchid next.
It actually has a lot in common with Damnation, and you can hear elements of that sound scattered throughout their discography, it's a logical extension of their influences. And as far as it shocking people that's what Spotify is for, they can sample before they buy.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 2:30 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
It actually has a lot in common with Damnation, and you can hear elements of that sound scattered throughout their discography, it's a logical extension of their influences.  And as far as it shocking people that's what Spotify is for, they can sample before they buy.
Damnation is another one not like the bulk of their catalog. I'm not suggesting this stuff wasn't present in their other material, but we're talking death metal here. Progressive as it might have been, death metal and folksy progressive rock are light years apart.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 2:43 pm

So basically, I should just buy them all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the official OPETH thread
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next