Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the official OPETH thread

Go down 
+29
MetalRob331
glassprison
onrypt
Thelemech
journeyman
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Wurthless
Wayne
thejokeriv
Rex
Eyesore
Jesusandmetal23
MetalGuy71
Joe
troublemagnet
The_Jayroh
nevermore
DallasBlack
Approval Guy
Doomdance
Shawn Of Fire
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
shamgar75
Gilbert
Sutekh
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Mikael has indicated that going forward not to expect anything remotely death metal from them. He said the next album might be a little heavier than Heritage, but more in a 70s hard rock/metal style. He also said to expect much more progressive elements on the next album including a string section on several of the tracks.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 am

I'm just going to work my way back from Heritage until I go affraid 
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 1:10 am

What is a good start for Opeth. Never heard them and I read through a few posts and they seem to get a fair amount of nods. I'm guessing Heritage.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 am

journeyman wrote:
What is a good start for Opeth. Never heard them and I read through a few posts and they seem to get a fair amount of nods. I'm guessing Heritage.
I started with Heritage - excellent album!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 am

2014 just got a LOT more interesting!  

Opeth are planning to release their 11th studio album in June.  No title has been given yet, in response to questions about what it sounds like Mikael responded thusly:

“If it sounds like us, that’s good. And if it sounds like something we don’t know, that’s also good. This album has some parts that sound like us and some parts that sound kind of new too. It’s a bit heavier than ‘Heritage‘ at times and it’s a bit more melodic. I think it should be a bit easier to get into this record because there’s a lot of focus on the melodies. We’re a progressive band. Sometimes we sound like a metal band and sometimes we don’t.”
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 11:35 am

S.D. wrote:
2014 just got a LOT more interesting!  

Opeth are planning to release their 11th studio album in June.  No title has been given yet, in response to questions about what it sounds like Mikael responded thusly:

“If it sounds like us, that’s good. And if it sounds like something we don’t know, that’s also good. This album has some parts that sound like us and some parts that sound kind of new too. It’s a bit heavier than ‘Heritage‘ at times and it’s a bit more melodic. I think it should be a bit easier to get into this record because there’s a lot of focus on the melodies. We’re a progressive band. Sometimes we sound like a metal band and sometimes we don’t.”

This description has me looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 1:14 pm

I will be picking this one up
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Nice to see a band more concerned with making a record that they want to make rather than what the fans expect.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Nice to see a band more concerned with making a record that they want to make rather than what the fans expect.

cool 
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Opeth is a pre-order band for me. I will be watching for this. Cool 
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 pm

I have Blackwater Park and Watershed - I like them quite a bit. Looking forward to this release.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 1:56 pm

The new Opeth album now has a title; Pale Communion will be released on June 17th worldwide.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 2:00 pm

I only own watershed. Good but very hard to get into.

Songs seem barely memorable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Some more details, including track list:

Pale Communion.

Produced by Mikael Akerfeldt
Mixed & Mastered by Steven Wilson

Track Listing:

1. ‘Eternal Rains Will Come’
2. ‘Cusp of Eternity’
3. ‘Moon Above, Sun Below’
4. ‘Elysian Woes’
5. ‘Goblin’
6. ‘River’
7. ‘Voice of Treason’
8. ‘Faith in Others’

Album will be available to pre-order on May 6th, those who preorder via iTunes will receive an immediate download copy of opening single "Cusp of Eternity".

Track 5 entitled Goblin is an instrumental, and an homage to the Italian progressive group of the same name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 4:35 pm

and here's a quote from Steven Wilson about Pale Communion from his Facebook page:

"The new Opeth album Pale Communion was mixed into stereo and 5.1 at my studio in February. I also sang harmony vocals. It’s by no stretch of the imagination a metal record but it’s still plenty heavy and a great piece of work - for me the epic orchestrated ballad “Faith in Others” that closes the album is Mikael Åkerfeldt's finest achievement to date. Pale Communion is released by Roadrunner Records on 17th June. It’s also the first Opeth album to be recorded and mixed in higher resolution 96/24. I hope Roadrunner will release a high res format, but I don't know their plans on that.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 9:59 pm

Cannot. Wait. This will be a pre-order for sure. Don't even care how much it costs...
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 11:17 pm

the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Heavy-metal-kid
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:50 pm

"Pale Communion", the highly anticipated eleventh studio album from Swedish progressive metallers OPETH, has had its release date pushed back to August 26 (via Roadrunner Records) from the previously announced June 17.

"Many of you have heard the rumours already and we can now confirm that the release of 'Pale Communion' has indeed been pushed back to late August," commented OPETH guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt. "Several circumstances prevented the band from delivering essential tools to Roadrunner in time which are needed to set up the album release properly and release schedule conflicts made us mutually decide on August instead of June."

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Two tracks have been released so far this summer:

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 2:17 pm

"Eternal Rains Will Come" is a decent song, but "Cusp of Eternity" is probably my least favorite on the album (I couldn't resist when it leaked online). The closing track, "Faith in Others," is fantastic.

Otherwise it sounds a lot like Heritage; no return to anything resembling progressive death metal here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

The entire album is available for legal streaming here:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/519-pale-communion/

It's a fantastic progressive rock album, a natural continuation of Heritage but also a little looser and more "rocking" in spots. More fusion influence on this one in the arrangements, more King Crimson influence, the upgrade in the keyboard player spot has really helped expand the sound. This one is a little more straight-ahead melodically than Heritage, probably making it a little more accessible, the addition of vocal harmonies also adds a new dimension to the sound. Expertly recorded, with a rich mix by Steven Wilson, one of the best sounding records I've heard this year.

No, there is nothing remotely death metal. The guitars sounds like real guitars run through tube amplifiers and analog effects, the drums sound like real drums, the keyboard player uses real Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes, Mellotron etc, no patches.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 3:21 pm

I'll give it a spin when i get back from work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 3:38 pm

My favorite tracks so far are "River" which for the first half of the song is a 70s style acoustic soft-rock number before it morphs into a heavy fusion jam for the second half including an extended guitar solo tradeoff. The instrumental "Goblin" which is a tribute to the Italian band of the same name, stylistically it's an almost-funky fusion jam not that different from something like Al DiMeola or Tony Williams' Lifetime. And the closing track "Faith In Others" is a stunner, reminiscent of something like Epitaph from the first King Crimson album, it's one of the best songs Mikael has written...the mid-section of the tune is just vocals & electric piano.

It also has moments that sound like older Opeth, the track "Moon Above, Sun Below" if you changed the guitar sound to a more modern sounding metal tone it could fit on any of their albums from the 2000s. Same goes for "Voice of Treason" which uses heavy strings instead of distorted guitars for the main riffs.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Got this one preordered. Heritage has been a frequent visit these past couple of months. I love this direction they've taken.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 10:56 am

I didn't like Heritage at all, it was the first Opeth album I couldn't get into. But this new one is a big step up IMO. I'm not sold on the more pronounced organ though, or at least the way its played on those choppy polka-ish spots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the official OPETH thread
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next