Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the official OPETH thread

Go down 
+29
MetalRob331
glassprison
onrypt
Thelemech
journeyman
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Wurthless
Wayne
thejokeriv
Rex
Eyesore
Jesusandmetal23
MetalGuy71
Joe
troublemagnet
The_Jayroh
nevermore
DallasBlack
Approval Guy
Doomdance
Shawn Of Fire
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
shamgar75
Gilbert
Sutekh
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm

glassprison wrote:
While I appreciate what they did here, I then for the first time in a few years I re-listened to Damnation and was just amazed by how much better I found that album: while it might be more simple the melodies and lyrics that they came up with are just particularly special and also accessible, just an incredibly great album.

Maybe Mikael should tell his record label he can both write and record two albums in the space of time normally alotted to one again. That seemed to bring out the best in him (Damnation/Deliverance) and he even emerged with his hair intact. Laughing

The diaries they had on the site (not sure if they're still up) were harrowing reading about the experience of making those albums.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 8:31 am

Ok, I think I need to beg a few pardons here. I gave the new album another listen a few nights ago and... I really have no idea where my head was when I first listened to it. It is a very heavy album in its own way. I'm still not immensely sold on the production (sounds a little washed out - like audio watercolors) because I don't think it's the best treatment for the material, but the material itself is definitely strong and the Opeth melodies are there.

Interestingly enough, without the death metal aspect to the music, Mikael has adopted a much more strained sounding 70s yell vocal for the more emotionally pitched parts of the songs. I wasn't really expecting that and I didn't notice it the first time around.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 am

Runicen wrote:
Ok, I think I need to beg a few pardons here.  I gave the new album another listen a few nights ago and...  I really have no idea where my head was when I first listened to it.  It is a very heavy album in its own way.  I'm still not immensely sold on the production (sounds a little washed out - like audio watercolors) because I don't think it's the best treatment for the material, but the material itself is definitely strong and the Opeth melodies are there.

Interestingly enough, without the death metal aspect to the music, Mikael has adopted a much more strained sounding 70s yell vocal for the more emotionally pitched parts of the songs.  I wasn't really expecting that and I didn't notice it the first time around.

The albums that tend to stand the test of time are growers.... I'll be interested to hear you thoughts after more listens when it really sinks in - there's a lot in this album and takes multiple listens to get what is going on....
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 9:20 am

I think this may be the first CD I've owned in a while that begged for a headphone listen. Very few albums cry out for that in my experience, so that's saying something.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 9:26 am

Runicen wrote:
I think this may be the first CD I've owned in a while that begged for a headphone listen.  Very few albums cry out for that in my experience, so that's saying something.

Hmmm.... you may be correct. I did get the CD/Blu-Ray combo and the 5.1 mix sounds amazing!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 am

Something I do need to test is the difference between the sound on the Blu-ray and the cd. I've only listened to the stereo mix off of the Blu-ray and I'm wondering if my gripes about the production are present in the standard definition version of the album.

If I had the space required to have a proper 5.1 setup, I'd love to hear a number of the reissues I own in surround, but it's never had enough of a draw for me to want to invest the space more than the money.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 5:46 pm

The mix on this album, whether stereo or 5.1, is the best I've heard in over a decade. Every instrument is pure, strong, clean, and bold, present with clarity no matter how loud you crank it.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:06 am

Actually, I may have found where the mixing/mastering goofed up for me.

There's apparently a technical flaw with the Blu-ray to the point where the label is starting to gather info for people to get replacement discs. Nobody has mentioned a problem with the stereo mix (though I do wonder), but the surround mix has polarity issues with the center and sub channels so all of the low frequency data is cancelled out.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 10:48 am

Hmmmmm. That's a bummer... I do not use my subs in a .1 way anway. I listen to a lot of Quad albums so I have my stereo set up for (two)subs in stereo and when I finally get the fourth one, I will have the subs in Quad as well. I do use the center channel, though, mostly for movies and sports.

I wonder if I would hear that flaw in a Quad setup?
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 am

Based on your description, it seems unlikely, but I could be wrong not having any kind of surround setup myself. It sounds like the polarity of the center channel is reversed relative to the subwoofer channel, which kills all low end information. If you aren't using the sub in a conventional way with the center channel, it shouldn't conflict.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 12:30 pm

It was an authoring error in the manufacturing of the blu-ray, there was nothing wrong with the completed 5.1 mix. Roadrunner is fixing the issue and will be replacing discs starting around September 12th as soon as the corrected discs have been completed. There is no issue with the stereo track on the blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
There is no issue with the stereo track on the blu-ray.

Damn... I was kind of hopeful I'd had some external cotton in my ears rather than tin ears with this album. Laughing
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:02 pm

S.D. wrote:
It was an authoring error in the manufacturing of the blu-ray, there was nothing wrong with the completed 5.1 mix.  Roadrunner is fixing the issue and will be replacing discs starting around September 12th as soon as the corrected discs have been completed.  There is no issue with the stereo track on the blu-ray.  

I had no idea there was an issue with the 5.1 mix, it sounded great to my ears! I'll compare when I get the replacement disc and see if I can tell any difference in sound.
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 11:11 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Runicen wrote:
Ok, I think I need to beg a few pardons here.  I gave the new album another listen a few nights ago and...  I really have no idea where my head was when I first listened to it.  It is a very heavy album in its own way.  I'm still not immensely sold on the production (sounds a little washed out - like audio watercolors) because I don't think it's the best treatment for the material, but the material itself is definitely strong and the Opeth melodies are there.

Interestingly enough, without the death metal aspect to the music, Mikael has adopted a much more strained sounding 70s yell vocal for the more emotionally pitched parts of the songs.  I wasn't really expecting that and I didn't notice it the first time around.

The albums that tend to stand the test of time are growers.... I'll be interested to hear you thoughts after more listens when it really sinks in - there's a lot in this album and takes multiple listens to get what is going on....

I'm trying too. Listening to "River" as I type.
Musically it's beautiful and complex.
Just trying to wrap my head around "this is Opeth now…"
I'm sure I'll get there as the music is amazing, just gonna take awhile….
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Great news from Steven Wilson on Facebook this morning:

In 2002 I worked with Opeth on their 2 albums “Deliverance” and “Damnation”, originally intended by Mikael to be released as a double LP showing the 2 sides of the band, heavy and mellow.

Now for the first time they are being reissued by Music for Nations / Sony Music Entertainment together in a 2CD/2DVD box set, which will include my previously unreleased 5.1 surround sound mix of Damnation (made in 2009).

The heavy album Deliverance has meanwhile been remixed in both stereo and 5.1 by my friend Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief). Scheduled for release on 30th October.

the official OPETH thread - Page 7 25679

Nice to see these albums finally being reissued together as they were originally intended. The new mixes from Steven Wilson and Bruce Soord already have me salivating in anticipation.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 12:27 pm

This is cool news. Damnation's probably my second favorite Opeth record (behind Morningrise), and Deliverance is definitely up there in the top 5. I'm looking forward to seeing how these remixes turn out.

And I also need to hear those Gentle Giant remixes Wilson's been doing.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Kind of a shame there's no bonus material. I was going to say it'd be nice to see them remastered/remixed, but I caught myself because neither of these albums really call for it. Unlike Blackwater Park, these both came out with very clean mixes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Runicen wrote:
Kind of a shame there's no bonus material.  I was going to say it'd be nice to see them remastered/remixed, but I caught myself because neither of these albums really call for it.  Unlike Blackwater Park, these both came out with very clean mixes.

The prior CD issues are heavily compressed (DR7 for Deliverance, DR8 for Damnation) so I'm expecting these remasters to be more in line with the product Wilson and Opeth have been releasing over the past few years (Dr11 to 13 range). I also expect the DVDs to contain 24bit/96khz hi-res versions.

The main reason for these reissues are the 5.1 mixes. I am curious to hear Soord's stereo remix of Deliverance, the Pineapple Thief albums always have great sound.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 am

Is there any word on the audio CDs having different mixes/masters than those already on the market? From the release, it reads like it's the original CDs coupled with the new surround mixes on DVD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 11:17 am

All the details posted this morning:

the official OPETH thread - Page 7 12004946_1692725127626292_3509486126171789963_n

'Deliverance & Damnation', a double album almost 15 years in the making. Originally released separately in 2002 and 2003 respectively, these sessions were written and recorded together and it’s time for Music for Nations to present the album as a complete piece.

MFN will be releasing the double album in two beautifully reissued formats that includes new stereo and 5.1 mixes, with artwork redesigned by original designer Travis Smith. Liner notes by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Jerry Ewing of Prog in a lavish four disc bookset. As well as triple vinyl on classic 180 gram black vinyl.

Released on October 30th to coincide with Opeth’s 25 year anniversary, this is the perfect time for Music For Nations to re-issue one of the band’s most essential releases, allowing fans new and old to experience 'Deliverance & Damnation' the way it should have always been.

- Four disc Bookset
http://www.omerch.eu/shop/musicfornations/proddetail.php…
Disc 1 Deliverance – new stereo mix by Bruce Soord
Disc 2 Deliverance – 5.1 mix by Bruce Soord
Disc 3 Damnation – new stereo mix by Steven Wilson
Disc 4 Damnation – 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson
32 page booklet with liner notes by Mikael Akerfeldt and Jerry Ewing, new photos and redesigned artwork by original artist Travis Smith

- Triple LP
http://www.omerch.eu/shop/musicfornations/proddetail.php…
Disc 1 Deliverance – new stereo mix by Bruce Soord
Disc 3 Damnation – new stereo mix by Steven Wilson
Mastered by Jaime Gomez and released on 180gram Black vinyl. Redesigned artwork by original artist Travis Smith.

"Mikael comments. ”Myself and Martin Mendez are very excited to see the re-release(s) of ”Deliverance” and ”Damnation” coming out. The 5.1 surround mix for ”Damnation” was done a while ago by my buddy and co-producer for both albums, Steven Wilson, and I’ve been itching to have it released as it’s simply stunning! My new-ish friend, Bruce Soord, has done a fantastic remix for ”Deliverance”, literally giving new life to the record and making me start loving it. Finally! It was with pure excitement I went through the tracks, discovering them again. I’m especially impressed with the sound of Martin Lopez drums but also baffled by how wicked and strange this album is. I’m scratching my head wondering how the hell we came up with these songs. On top of everything, our old-time head of ART, Travis Smith, has touched up on the artwork having it looking great (bleak) too! Enjoy!”.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 2:33 pm

I am very pleased that my original read of the release was incorrect. This is an awesome set and definitely makes my "must buy" list.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 12:50 pm

This is great news! Time to save up.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Anyone seen this before? lol

the official OPETH thread - Page 7 F2GaNfT
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 12:15 am

Oh god that made my night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the official OPETH thread
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next