Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the official OPETH thread

Go down 
+29
MetalRob331
glassprison
onrypt
Thelemech
journeyman
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Wurthless
Wayne
thejokeriv
Rex
Eyesore
Jesusandmetal23
MetalGuy71
Joe
troublemagnet
The_Jayroh
nevermore
DallasBlack
Approval Guy
Doomdance
Shawn Of Fire
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
shamgar75
Gilbert
Sutekh
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 4:16 am

You know, I can imagine this being a pretty accurate representation of what happened the first time those two hung out... lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 8:42 am

Just starting to dig into this set with the new stereo mixes and it's most definitely a different experience.

Damnation sticks fairly close to the model of the original mix (which Steven Wilson did to begin with) but has been improved with a wider stereo spectrum, some refinements to instrumental positioning within the spectrum and some very effective remixing of the backing vocals and how they lay with the lead vocal line.  Overall it's just a lot more spacious and open than it was before.  It also has a better low end for the rhythm section with the drums and bass being punchier than the original mix.

Deliverance is a completely different approach.  Soord has thrown out the original mix completely and started over from scratch.  The heavy album was always very dark and thick, kind of muddy except for the guitars which dominated. Mikael has never liked the sound of that album (mixed by Andy Sneap) so he told Bruce to do whatever he wanted with it.  

Practically every element is different, including using some previously unused overdubs from the original recording sessions.  It's still just as heavy and brutal as it was, but now there's a really spacey, creepy vibe to the way he has mixed the vocals and the effects he's used on them.  I kept noticing new little details throughout the album on my first listen, and this is a record I know inside out and backward so it was quite thrilling to hear it re-imagined.  

The drum sound is quite different.  Deliverance always had that "clikety-click" kick drum sound (probably a triggered sample that Soord removed, restoring just the drum sound) which drives me bonkers, that is completely gone now.  Bruce went more with the older approach to kick drums making it more felt than heard and adding a lot of low end.  I was surprised when I went back and forth between the original mix of Master's Apprentices and the new mix, the original basically had no low end whatsoever, it was all midrange, now it's got a pummeling bottom end that will rattle the rafters.  

He also really brought out the harmony guitar parts and the guitar solos, they float in their own little sound world and are much more distinct than before.  Overall the guitar sounds on the album are EQd a little differently, there's some more midrange than before. The spaciousness of the mix does cut down on the bite of the heavy guitars a little, if you a/b compare the guitars are a little quieter in the next mix, but it's actually more balanced now than before.

I'm sure I will keep both versions to listen to, it's a great album and now I've got two very different ways to hear it (3 if you add the surround mix into the equation)
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 4:58 pm

first look at material from the new album is in the last couple seconds of this video that was published today. it's an interesting little mini tour of the Rockfield Studio complex in Wales where the album was recorded, and the sample at the end sounds promising as F*ck.

look out for the part of the video where Mikael talks about their new "vocalist." he's definitely got a good growl, hahah.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Nice Museo Rosenbach shirt!!!! I want!!!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 8:39 pm

right? made me wander where he got one of those and for how much.
Back to top Go down
rockhardridefree
Metal novice
Metal novice
rockhardridefree

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 11:11 pm

Last album was soooooo good! \m/
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Really looking forward to this album. Loved their last one, even though I do miss the growling opeth. But it's not the main reason I like them, so it's really no biggie if he goes back to singing like that or not. I'm sure the music will be great as always.

Anyone hear of any special edition box sets being released yet? Got them for the last two albums and need to keep them coming.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 9:02 am

New track off the upcoming album. Me likes it a lot! headbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 11:21 am

That sounds insane, heavy as a two-ton thing, completely inspired, and even more different than the rest of their catalog. It's like there's no way a bad Opeth album can ever happen.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 7:26 pm

the only thing i didn't really love about the track was mikael's vocals. i'm sure i'll sit with them better in the long run, but something seems off.

otherwise though it's got me stoked as F*ck. the production is awesome, especially the guitar sound. really raw stuff, but still in-line with the whole 70s prog influence.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Wurthless wrote:
the only thing i didn't really love about the track was mikael's vocals. i'm sure i'll sit with them better in the long run, but something seems off.
Really? I don't really hear any difference between his vocals off any of the other Opeth albums over this one. The guitars sound completely different, much more crunch to them than other Opeth songs, which I really like. Adds a real heavy feel to the song, and I hope the rest of the album is as heavy.

Pre-ordered the Nuclear Blast edition box set the other day. I would have ordered it from Opeth, but at the time it wasn't available in the US. At least not that I saw. Glad it wasn't now though, I just checked and the shipping cost would have been more than the album. The box set is around 60 bucks, and shipping was $65.00. That's crazy! I'm sure Amazon or someone will pick it up soon and make it a lot cheaper, but I didn't wanna wait and see lol
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 7:30 pm

i don't know i've jammed it a few times and it may've just been something about that first listen, who knows. i definitely really enjoy it and am looking forward to the album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the official OPETH thread
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8