Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the official OPETH thread

Go down 
+29
MetalRob331
glassprison
onrypt
Thelemech
journeyman
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Wurthless
Wayne
thejokeriv
Rex
Eyesore
Jesusandmetal23
MetalGuy71
Joe
troublemagnet
The_Jayroh
nevermore
DallasBlack
Approval Guy
Doomdance
Shawn Of Fire
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
shamgar75
Gilbert
Sutekh
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 11:29 pm

whoa....as much as I do love all the Opeth albums I have....man this has me excited! I'm practically drooling. When is the release date again? I don't think it can be soon enough
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 3:17 pm

There was a definite 70s vibe to Watershed, especially the tune "Burden." I got a very strong ELP influence on Mikael's vocal on that tune in particular. I can't wait for this! the official OPETH thread - Page 3 811939
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 3:26 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
There was a definite 70s vibe to Watershed, especially the tune "Burden." I got a very strong ELP influence on Mikael's vocal on that tune in particular. I can't wait for this! the official OPETH thread - Page 3 811939

We should convince him to do a cover of "From The Beginning".
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 12:49 am

To be honest I really hoped they would take a direction similar to what was said a few posts back. The growling doesn't bother me at all, but lately I've gotten tired of it. Actual singing just sounds so much better, especially when it's done well. When I'm pissed I love me some of the crazier stuff, but Opeth aren't really crazy in the first place.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:

We should convince him to do a cover of "From The Beginning".

Oooooo! Shocked That would be awesome! headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 pm

new song "The Devil's Orchard" is up for streaming now:

http://stereogum.com/766792/opeth-the-devils-orchard-stereogum-premiere/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

Very much modern prog rock (not to be confused with prog metal).

Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Wow, that is a great track. I'm not wild about the lyrics, but the music is superb. Definitely sounds like Opeth, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything without the death metal vocals.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
Wow, that is a great track. I'm not wild about the lyrics, but the music is superb. Definitely sounds like Opeth, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything without the death metal vocals.

I know, it's still Opeth just no death vocals. Not wild about the lyrics either.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 pm

I think it's a concept album, the lyrics fit the song title, but we're hearing it out of context with the rest of the piece.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:02 am

I agree with Shawn, it doesnt seem like Mikael is being anti-God, but it seems to me that the song is a narrative and that seemingly anti-God statements are just parts to a whole. I guess we will find out when the album is released.

GREAT song by the way. I am totally psyched for this album now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 5:23 pm

I love this song.

Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 3:20 am

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
I agree with Shawn, it doesnt seem like Mikael is being anti-God, but it seems to me that the song is a narrative and that seemingly anti-God statements are just parts to a whole. I guess we will find out when the album is released.

GREAT song by the way. I am totally psyched for this album now.

I agree with this, plus I've listened to plenty of songs that are waaaay more offensive. The only problem is when family or someone else is in the car and they hear that line haha.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Got this on preorder... very excited hear it, and resisting the temptation to youtube it!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 3:53 am

Heard the whole album. Don't think there's one word sung in death-metal style. I'm not surprised by the style shift, but I expected them to evolve into it a bit slower. This is a pretty big leap, I think.

Though I admit, I'm not familiar with all their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 11:53 am

I took a few listens to the album over the last couple of days and I can't believe I'd ever be saying this about a new Opeth album, but I don't like it much at all. I was super excited when I heard Mike was ditching the grunts for his singing voice, but man.....the songs don't gel for me at all. Its way to free form jazzy or disjointed sounding for me.

In fact I just trashed the downloaded files this morning.....yes...I tried before I buyed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm of the exact opposite opinion, I think it's a brilliant record. The arrangements are superb and Steven Wilson's mix is impeccable. The album flows not unlike an early 70's King Crimson album, with lots of space and coloration in the songwriting.

I like all of Opeth's records, but this one comes closest to the type of music I love.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'm of the exact opposite opinion, I think it's a brilliant record. The arrangements are superb and Steven Wilson's mix is impeccable. The album flows not unlike an early 70's King Crimson album, with lots of space and coloration in the songwriting.

I like all of Opeth's records, but this one comes closest to the type of music I love.

It's the only Opeth album I have heard all the way through and I think it is fantastic!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Been listening to the new opeth a lot today.

Having been a fan since morning rise I have to say it was a surprise not to hear any death vocals but I don't think the album suffered for it at all. I don't know if it's the fact my tastes have been leaning heavily towards prog music over the last few years but boy am I enjoying this album.

Very arthur Brown 70's vibe going on. I have a feeling the death vocals will return as a few bands I like seem to have the odd album with none then use them again later.

Seeing opeth live in November, cannot wait. Awesome stuff.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 1:18 am

This album reminded me of Damnation, but has a very different vibe. Way more jazzy. I expected a lot more distortion still, but I'm not disappointed at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 1:22 am

I think it's a fantastic record, writing, playing, arranging and recording. The whole thing is very organic and you can tell Mikael really feels this material.

In the "making of" documentary he mentions that the first two songs he wrote for this album were very heavy metallic tracks....but that he "just wasn't feeling it", so he deleted those songs and started anew. The first song written was "Lines In My Hand" which sets the tone perfectly for the album.

The band seems genuinly inspired by the material and all the members put in stellar performances. Steven Wilson's mix brings out the bass more than in the past and the drums actually sound like drums. I love the guitar sound on this record, very natural with minimal distortion.

The "bonus tracks" on the DVD are excellent, Pyre being a particular standout.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 1:30 am

I really hope it's a new direction for the band, but knowing Opeth no two records will sound the same. They had a trademark heavy-light style for a while but have slowly faded it out through the years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 pm

A couple performances on Swedish TV. "Pyre" (one of the bonus tracks) and Nepenthe from Heritage. (both slightly shortened versions)

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 6:02 pm

I am only just now listening to Heritage...about halfway through...it sounds amazing so far. Can't wait to fully digest it...

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:42 am

OK, a couple of spins into Heritage now...I think it's brilliant!!!!

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the official OPETH thread
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next