Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal

Go down 
+46
Vexer6
ultmetal
Runicen
DakotaRogers
Thelemech
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
Gryphon-kl
Witchfinder
Gilbert
corplhicks
choosemetal
JBall_Z
kmorg
onrypt
stormspell
Required Fields
James B.
manny
SpectreFate
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
metalinmyveins
Wurthless
Andy
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
Doomdance
DeathCult
Lurideath
ZetaReticuli
tohostudios
chewie
Eyesore
FlyingV
Sinistar
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
Shawn Of Fire
GrandNational
nevermore
EvyMetal
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
Joe
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 8:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Hey MG

Have ya heard of that band called "CONGO" ?

These dudes wear monkey masks and smoke while they play.

The big gimmick is they throw their own feces at the crowd during the set.

Heard of them? They're the house band on Tuesday nights at the MetalGuy Compound. \'arry \'eadbanger

Oh wow! I've always wanted to meet someone with their own compound!!
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 1:39 pm

kmorg wrote:
People keep stating that Ghost's lyrics are just for fun, camp or tongue in cheek. That is not entirely true, is it? Members of Watain are resposible for creating the bands imagery, so I don't believe for one second that this is only done for humour sake.

Not sure why I felt I nedded to write this, I don't even like the band that much. It's just that it irks me that some people seem to try and justify listening to them because it's fake, when it is not.

Kmorg, I was thinking the exact same thing. Bands lyrics are often dismissed as camp or tongue in cheek, but I'm sure this is not always the case. For me, openly Satanic lyrics have always been a turn off.

Wasn't it Jimi Hendrix who said, "You can hypnotize people with music, and when you get them at their weakest point, you can preach into their subconscious whatever you want to say.’"
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
kmorg wrote:
People keep stating that Ghost's lyrics are just for fun, camp or tongue in cheek. That is not entirely true, is it? Members of Watain are resposible for creating the bands imagery, so I don't believe for one second that this is only done for humour sake.

Not sure why I felt I nedded to write this, I don't even like the band that much. It's just that it irks me that some people seem to try and justify listening to them because it's fake, when it is not.

Kmorg, I was thinking the exact same thing. Bands lyrics are often dismissed as camp or tongue in cheek, but I'm sure this is not always the case. For me, openly Satanic lyrics have always been a turn off.

Wasn't it Jimi Hendrix who said, "You can hypnotize people with music, and when you get them at their weakest point, you can preach into their subconscious whatever you want to say.’"

I think that overly-anything lyrics are whatever the particular listener makes them out to be.

For example, Slayer has never once made me burn a bible, carve their logo in my forearm or scream "Slayer" at the top of my lungs and I have been listening to them for 25 years (on and off).

Another example; the band SAINT's overly-Christian lyrics just make me giggle and they are 100% being real.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 pm

^^ HAHA! I'm surprised you don't like Ghost a little more Brian, seeing your a Mercyful Fate fan.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
^^ HAHA! I'm surprised you don't like Ghost a little more Brian, seeing your a Mercyful Fate fan.

You're not the first to say that but I see no comparison.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

To me they got that old school "Melissa" sound. Even with some of the lead guitar just reminds me of Mercyful Fate, especially lyrically. Vocally not at all. Its not full on MF but there are similarities.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I pre-ordered this, curious to see what It'll be like. The first one was interesting, but I wonder if they won't be like Volbeat was for me after awhile, another different sounding band but one in which the novelty wore off despite talent and quality.

As far as finding it offensive and/or stupid, if you do then you do. Maybe it is. There is a certain hard rock artist (who it is and what he was singing about is neither here nor there- it wasn't Ted though) who wrote a song I thought was mean spirited and offensive. This guy obviously wasn't writing about me personally, but I still found the song so offensive that I resolved that he'd never get a nickle from me, despite the talent and quality of the music. I just feel like that sometimes whether I should or not, and I vote with my dollar.

Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 am

I really don't hear all the hype is about it's OK.. The lyrics are campy but even if they were singing about whatever topic I still wouldn't like it. To each his own. I did see the new video for there song year zero so the other musicians are women?
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 2:20 am

choosemetal wrote:
I did see the new video for there song year zero so the other musicians are women?

No.

The main part of their schtick is nobody knows who is actually in the band. They are completely anonymous, listing themselves as "nameless ghouls".

My guess since the beginning is that all these guys are in other bands, Ghost just gives them a chance to have some fun and play music without any pressure or expectations based on what other groups they play in. This is just conjecture of course but it makes sense to me.

The most popular rumor is the vocalist is Tobias Forge, here is a short article...

http://www.metalinsider.net/mystery-solved/ghost-frontman’s-identity-revealed
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 7:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
choosemetal wrote:
I did see the new video for there song year zero so the other musicians are women?

No.

The main part of their schtick is nobody knows who is actually in the band. They are completely anonymous, listing themselves as "nameless ghouls".

My guess since the beginning is that all these guys are in other bands, Ghost just gives them a chance to have some fun and play music without any pressure or expectations based on what other groups they play in. This is just conjecture of course but it makes sense to me.

The most popular rumor is the vocalist is Tobias Forge, here is a short article...

http://www.metalinsider.net/mystery-solved/ghost-frontman’s-identity-revealed

I've heard that before. I wonder if they are making more money off Ghost at this point
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm

I thought I saw them on some scooby-doo episodes on saturday morning. Ya know, the guys that said, "I would of got away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids"

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 pm

I've heard Subvision and I'm pretty sure it's him. I quite like them too.

I think that all of this bagging on Ghost for having a OTT image and silly lyrics is completely justified as no metal band has ever looked silly or had stupid lyrics before laughing
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 pm

The new album is streaming here if anyone wants to listen to it. I downloaded it earlier today and its a little different from the first album. You can hear some of their influences from the Beach Boys in some of the songs. I think its a great album, just as good as the first one. Check it out.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/67-infestissumam/

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 am

It's...strange. I hear a lot of BOC and Uriah Heep, MF yes as well, but these guys are truly different. I started listening to them because Don Jamieson (forgive me, but the guy is an utter douche) referred to them as a "satanic death metal" band on TMS. Satanic, maybe borderline, death metal, wtf no way. I kind of dig them, but I hate masks and robes and stuff as much as I hate Slipknot's gimmickry. When you can't see facial expression, there's little connection going on between the band and the audience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:07 am

I'm listening to the stream of the new album, definitely digging it so far. I'm glad to hear them continuing to experiment and expand their sound into new areas. I like the use of very non-metal time signatures/rhythms in quite a few of these tunes, keeps things interesting.

It's definitely a more musically mature effort...but I also predict that it's going to be too eclectic for some of the fans of the first album.

I would say the track "Guleh" is the real standout on first listen. It starts out as a plaintive piano-driven ballad and then morphs into a 60s surf rock inspired tune! That's my kind of audacity right there.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 am

Heard a few samples of the new album. good, but i can't get into this band at all.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Listened to the album stream... I liked it!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'm listening to the stream of the new album, definitely digging it so far. I'm glad to hear them continuing to experiment and expand their sound into new areas. I like the use of very non-metal time signatures/rhythms in quite a few of these tunes, keeps things interesting.

It's definitely a more musically mature effort...but I also predict that it's going to be too eclectic for some of the fans of the first album.

I would say the track "Guleh" is the real standout on first listen. It starts out as a plaintive piano-driven ballad and then morphs into a 60s surf rock inspired tune! That's my kind of audacity right there.

Yea I love that song. Especially when it changes. You don't see that coming, and yea I can see fans of the first album are going to have a problem with this one but I think there are enough songs that are like the first album, to be enough.

The other thing I really like, and I wish other bands would do the same, is they keep it short and to the point. Theres 10 songs on the album not 16 like most bands are doing now. Id rather have less that way it keeps me wanting more and I can't wait til the next album now. I still want to hear the other bonus song tho. I hope I get the deluxe version of the album. I preordered it from the benegins.se site months back and I didn't know there was going to be a deluxe version at the time so hopefully I get that one.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:25 pm

S.D. wrote:

S.D. , I am getting quite a 60s vibe off of what I have heard.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:02 pm

I listened to it tired last night and I thought that it was okay but not outstanding, which has been how I've always felt about Ghost songs at first so hopefully it will grow on me as the first album and recent singles have.

Did anyone else flick through the artwork and stuff on the stream? Not much unsettles me but that boy staring at me was really unsettling!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

There is definitely some 60s groove to some of the songs, but honesty a lot of early 80s new wave as well (just imagine some of the songs with synth parts instead of guitars and you'll see what I mean).
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

There is definitely some 60s groove to some of the songs, but honesty a lot of early 80s new wave as well (just imagine some of the songs with synth parts instead of guitars and you'll see what I mean).

Interesting. I'll stream the whole thing tonight. At least they are doing the unexpected here.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's a really good point; I hear bits of Human League and Dave Stewart here and there. I'm wondering if we can all agree this is the most experimental/avant-garde "metal" band to come along in some time?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 am

I picked this up over the weekend, but haven't given it a good listen yet. I breezed through it on Saturday, but nothing really grabbed me right off the bat, but I was working and distracted.

And if I'm correct, the "deluxe edition" has 2 bonus tracks and comes in a jewel case as opposed to the standard edition in a flimsy cardboard slipcase. That sound 'bout right? I gladly paid the extra $2 bucks just for the jewel case alone.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 am

Looks like Ghost has some new merch.... Feel free to follow the link to see pics.....

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189246

Swedish occult rockers GHOST, who are fronted by Papa Emeritus II, have begun selling dildos and butt plugs via their official webstore.

For $199.99, fans of the band will get the "Ghost Phallos Mortuus Ritual Box Set – Phallus" containing the following items:

* 1 x exclusive Papa Emeritus II dildo puppetmaster t-shirt (only available with this item)
* 1 x bible box case with gold-embossed artwork and red velvet lining.
* 1 x divorce paper scroll with customised GHOST foil emblem.
* 1 x GHOST brushed metal logo charm.
* 1 x bronze effect metal butt plug with moulded grucifix logo base.
* 1 x sculpted black silicone Papa Emeritus II dildo.

Measurements:

Box: L24cm W18cm D6cm
Logo Charm: L8cm W4cm
Butt Plug: L7cm W3cm
Dildo: L19cm W4cm

The box set starts shipping Friday, May 3.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal   Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ghost (swe) Heavy Metal/Psych Rock/Doom Metal
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next