Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I bought this CD for $1...

Go down 
+48
Icy Grave
brokentulsa
DakotaRogers
Thelemech
Lari
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Infinite
thrashidolatry
Boris2008
Gryphon-kl
SwordsChains
Barbecuetioner
ZombieHavoc
Shiney
Hadley
novellahub
mikeinfla
jettafiend
James B.
ShadowAngel
GrandNational
martinsane
dirtracin1
CHONGeYeD
adrian
Nico
Sutekh
exact33
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
DallasBlack
kmorg
Thrasher73
Gilbert
EvyMetal
A Handful of Wayne
scottmitchell74
Eyesore
Alex Dee Rokket
jstate
nevermore
manny
chewie
Fat Freddy
Joe
Shawn Of Fire
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:35 pm

There's a thrift shop not 2 minutes away from where I work that has been there for 20+ years...I need to pop in there tomorrow...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:42 pm

I hit a thrift store in my town once every month or so and there is usually a box of used/abused CDs in one corner. I've scored stuff there a couple of times over the years but most of the time I only find crap (or I find cases with no CDs in them, which REALLY pisses me off)...though I did find the Mastedon LOFCAUDIO disc I mentioned earlier in this thread at that store. I swear I cackled when I found it there cuz I knew how much $$ that thing goes for on eBay.

So in my experience, if you're gonna scrounge in thrift stores you have to be prepared to make quite a few trips where you'll go "Crap! There's nothing here!" before you finally come across something good.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:00 pm

My local Goodwill has a copy of the Four Horsemen's Nobody Said It Was Easy for 2.00. Wish I hadn't bought it earlier this year for a whole lot more than that. Every time I think I'm done scouring the thrift stores they'll be some cool finds to lure me back. My local ones seem to get a lot of early 80's alternative stuff. Things I won't buy at market price but for a few bucks, why not.

At the last Hastings sale they had Battalion Of Saints - Death-R-Us for five bucks. Since the sale was buy one get one for a dollar I added it to the pile to get an even number. Outside of recognizing the name it was a blind buy. Listened to it and loved it. Went looking for more only to discover that Death-R-Us goes in the fifty dollar + range. The best part about my Hastings store is the way they over-price common discs as rarities, then when they get a true rarity it's almost never more than 5.00.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 8:02 pm

My thrift shop was a bust...

But today I got a November's Doom and a Hellacopters CD for $1 each...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 8:05 pm

I bought 4 CD's for 1.99 a pop, only one metal but a good buy
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 pm

I saw a Sword cd at Goodwill but it looked like someone practiced with a sword on it..

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm

My Goodwill has finally smartened up and is checking the cds then taping them shut. Of course now the problem is how aggravated they act when you ask to have it opened to check the disc condition.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

I picked up Mortification -Post Momentary Affliction, Intense pressing for 99c on ebay a while back (just after someone paid $63 for another copy!), along with Saint -Time's End on CD for $2.

Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 10:02 pm

I do recall finding a used copy of Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within" from a store called CDs and More for $3. It was about to go out of business, I think they were having a 60% off sale or something like that at the time. I had already been looking at the CDs for a while and was getting bored. I was about to give up...in fact, I may have already given up and was just looking 'cause my friend was still looking but then I noticed that album.

There was also a time when I found a used copy of Morbid Saint's "Spectrum of Death" CD for $8.50. OK, maybe that's about the average price for a used CD, maybe a little more, but this CD was out of print and extremely difficult to find. The odd thing is, my friends wanted to go to the record store that day and I didn't 'cause I had just been there pretty recently and thought I had seen everything there was to see. So, I'm browsing through the miscellaneous "M" titles in the metal section, bored out of my mind and not expecting to find anything, and suddenly there's Morbid Saint's "Spectrum of Death"!! Shocked

There was also another time when I was at this one record store and noticed about 10 cassette tapes sitting on a counter. It was mostly '80s pop and then suddenly there's an Anvil "Pound For Pound" tape there! I hadn't been listening to Anvil for that long at the time and hadn't heard much about this particular album, but I asked the guy working there how much the tapes were and he said they were a dollar so I bought it. It turned out to be a great album!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 am

Last week, I picked up Queen of the Stone Age's s/t debut at a used shop in mint condition for $4.99. It's out of print and lists for ridiculous amounts on ebay and Amazon. Although that will probably change soon. I believe that album is going to be (or maybe already has been) re-released.

Either way, I'm glad I snagged it. After listening to Them Crooked Vultures for awhile now, I think I'm going to re-examine the Queens. I have Songs for the Deaf, but kinda lost interest in them when the hype died down.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun $1
The Stereophonics - Just Enough Education To Perform $1
Kent - Isola $1

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Personally, I woulda taken that $3 bucks and bought me a soft pretzel and maybe a Slurpee from 7-11, but if you're happy with those purchases, good job by you.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Personally, I woulda taken that $3 bucks and bought me a soft pretzel and maybe a Slurpee from 7-11, but if you're happy with those purchases, good job by you.

I am quite happy... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Then that's all that really matters. Wink

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Elliott - False Cathedrals $1
Corey Hart - Fields Of Fire $1
Extreme - Waiting For The Punchline $1

Last edited by Shawn Of Fire on Mon May 23, 2011 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Hadn't notice this thread before. My best score I ever made was getting Dark Angel's Darkness Descends for 7.99, then I also got the Century Media remaster for like 12 bucks a few months after. Can't believe how much some people will ask for that album on amazon and ebay!

A few other scores I've made were at my local used cd store:
Ludichrist - Powertrip $5.99
Nuclear Assault - Something Wicked $5.99
Megadeth - Sweating Bullets single $.99
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 11:01 pm

My goodwill is hit and miss a lot more these days. I have to go to the one up by the university. generally better stuff there..

CHONGeYeD
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: The slimlines   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Guest wrote:
Before I gave up the habit, I would travel around the world scoring deals. So, way too many to even comprehend. I can tell you that I know exactly where every pawn shop within 500 miles of me is located!

A few that come to mind right away that I sold for gigantic dough were:

Bellicose - Love on Ice
Tigertailz - You Lookin At Me?
Logan - ? [can't remember the title]
Kublai Khan - Annihilation [$6! I won't soon forget that day!]
a bunch of Roadrunner Slimlines [still got those if anyone is interested!], multiple copies of NA - Survive, Childs Play, Chyld, all the Slave Raider/Chainsaw/UKI/Strange Sects stuff, alot of Minneapolis gems like Brass Kitten, Gemini, Mary's Rest, Avalanche, etc.

Not a bad way to pay off your house!

I am interested in the slimlines if you still have available ?
Back to top Go down
dirtracin1
Metal student
Metal student
dirtracin1

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 11:03 pm

About 15 years ago at a Salvation Army store I got Sanctuary "Into the Mirror Live" for a Buck.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:53 am

Guess I can add this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190544358438

I originally paid $5 for that tape.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Guess I can add this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190544358438

I originally paid $5 for that tape.

WOW!

I normally am not a seller of stuff and I don't have this tape btw, but if someone wanted to give me a grand for some tape or cd I'd have to sell it...

I have MANY discs to add to this thread. I ALWAYS buy from second hand, pawn shops and such and get the majority of my cd's in the one dollar range.

Here are a few dollar or less discs I've collected over the years:

Belicose
Villan
Leonard The Dog
Gibby Lixx
Pharoh (times 2)
DVS
Near Infinity (times 3)

I'm sure there are more that escape my noodle...

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 am

OK, so the local used place restocked their $1 bin and added a LOT of Metal...thinking of pulling the trigger on some (its only $1 each w/ no tax) but am not sure...most of it I don't recognize, but some I do.

Some bands in the bin:

Carnal Forge
Holy Moses
Ephel Duath
God Forbid
Dearly Beheaded
Crystal Tears
Divinity
The Gathering (the Home album...probably will get this)

Many others...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
OK, so the local used place restocked their $1 bin and added a LOT of Metal...thinking of pulling the trigger on some (its only $1 each w/ no tax) but am not sure...most of it I don't recognize, but some I do.

Some bands in the bin:

Carnal Forge
Holy Moses
Ephel Duath
God Forbid
Dearly Beheaded
Crystal Tears
Divinity
The Gathering (the Home album...probably will get this)

Many others...
God Forbid is an excellent band, if you can dig that metalcore stuff. They're definitely more melodeath, though. What album is it? Earthsblood, in my opinion, is absolutely brilliant.

The Gathering, definitely. Great album.

Holy Moses, from the album I have, is kind of thrash/death with a chick singer.

Crystal Tears is classic heavy metal. If it's Choirs of Immortal, the production is a bit thin. Not amazing, but great for $1.

I have nothing by the other bands, so won't comment.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 3:55 pm

From memory of the cover art, it's these:

Carnal Forge - Who's Gonna Burn
Holy Moses - Strength Power Will Passion (jewel case version)
Ephel Duath - Phormula (I think)
God Forbid - Better Days EP and IV: Constitution Of Treason
Dearly Beheaded - Temptation
Crystal Tears - Choirs Of Immortal
Divinity - Allegory
The Gathering - Home

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
From memory of the cover art, it's these:

God Forbid - Better Days EP and IV: Constitution Of Treason
Crystal Tears - Choirs Of Immortal
The Gathering - Home
Definitely worth $1 a pop. I don't own that Holy Moses album, but it's probably worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I bought this CD for $1...   I bought this CD for $1... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I bought this CD for $1...
Page 2 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next