Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CDS you bought knowing nothing about....

Go down 
+14
kmorg
mc666
stepcousin
Thrasher73
Tall Tyrion
DallasBlack
Wargod
SideShowDisaSter
exact33
krokus
sovdat
thejokeriv
Smindas
scottmitchell74
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Empty
PostSubject: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:18 pm

What albums have you bought, where you heard nothing about the band, heard none of the songs or had never even heard of the band?

I'll name a few.

Blind Guardian- Somewhere Far Beyond. Lets just say I didn't care for it.

Savatage Streets- I think i may have heard one Sava-Tune in my life, and I'm not even sure of that. I didn't like this at first, but now I love it, and of course, they're my favorite band.

Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire- So glad I got this, they are also a favorite of mine.

Your turn.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:41 pm

LOL....Would never do that! My money's too precious!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:41 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Wanker.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:59 pm

I can't say I've done it either, actually. I've bought albums on the strength of one song, but I've never gone for an album based on... well, nothing.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:01 pm

I picked up the first cd from The Darkness wehn I ready about them in EW - it paid off, I like that CD alot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:02 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

Wanker.

lol!

To be honest, alot of stuff that was in my collection as I dont have broadband and I never used to troll around sites before much. but ones that come to mind that I like are :

Trixie - Lift you Up (bought mainly on the Cover art)

Sauron Lamderth "El Guardian.." & Red Wine "El Final de los...." (Was on holidays in spain and I liked the covers too) Sauron's album was painted by Derick Riggs of Maiden fame. (both albums are in Spanish and i can't understand a bleedin word of it, but they are crackers of albums.

I also bought two CDs by a band called Shannon because I liked the name ! scratch

yea I know I'm sad. all great bands though, plus I have bought plenty of Duds over the years due to the bands name or the cover art or even the label that they were on.

Wotan - Carmacia Barbarica (don't know what made me buy this thing).
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:09 pm

The closest I came was Voivd - Nothingface....I new very little of them and I loved the art. I listened to it....hated it....and convinced my friend to buy it from me. He did, but only after I bugged him endlessly. I worked at a store in the early 90's and they had the cassette in their Electronics section and I kept looking at it and finally just did it. That was the last time! So, that's close to your scenerio....
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:12 pm

I do that all the time, let's say 50% of my purchases is stuff for
which I've only heard of, but didn't hear one second of their music
before purchasing it.

Some of the last were

LAST DESCENDANTS - One Nation Under God - need to listen to it more ... some moments sound great, and the other really weak ...

CARBIDE - Spiral Termination - another US metal gem from early 90s!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Back in the late 80s nearly everything i bought was just because i liked the front cover of the vinyl. If it looked metal, i bought it. I kept doing that till i knew more about metal and i started buying magazines and fanzines from around the world. Till the world of internet in 2000. Then it was easier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:23 pm

Tons! Far too many to name. I just bought one yesterday, though. Vulcan Wind by Sly. It was only $3.99, though.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:26 pm

i used to buy stuff on band name/style alone but now with online resources i generally like to hear samples first.

Alex

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:30 pm

exact33 wrote:
i used to buy stuff on band name/style alone but now with online resources i generally like to hear samples first.

Alex

yep, that's how times have changed. back in the day we didn't have this great resource.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:33 pm

You know, now that I think about it and if I go back for enough into my early Christian Metal days I probably did this at a Christian book store occassionally. However, that had to be rare because even then I had Heaven's Metal or something to help guide the choice. I may not have heard the band but Doug Van Pelt or some other "reviewer" helped spend my money!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:44 pm

I buy a lot of stuff that I had never heard before, but had heard OF. Usually if I've heard of a thrash band from someone, if I can find it cheap enough I'll buy it.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 5:58 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I buy a lot of stuff that I had never heard before, but had heard OF. Usually if I've heard of a thrash band from someone, if I can find it cheap enough I'll buy it.

I wish i could do this but my cd dollars are too limited to be buying lots of cheap cds. I have kinda settled into the mode of buying stuff i know i will like and listening to mp3 samples of stuff until i decide i really like it or could wait to get it in trade (like i know someone out there is going to be willing to part with their priest rocka rolla and sad wings cds someday hehe)

That being said I did buy the new Anekdoten cd rather impulsively... But it is a really really good buy Smile

Alex

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 6:15 pm

I do this sometimes ... but not as often as I used to.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 6:46 pm

Quote :
I have kinda settled into the mode of buying stuff i know i will like and listening to mp3 samples of stuff until i decide i really like it or could wait to get it in trade (like i know someone out there is going to be willing to part with their priest rocka rolla and sad wings cds someday hehe)

That's exactly how I do it now. I only buy stuff I've researched that has a really high probability of beeing a keeper forever......
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Back in the 70's 80's I used to buy albums just on what the cover and the back looked like was very successful doing it!

Today most of what I buy is usually based on what I read or from samples online or from myspace!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 7:31 pm

KISS - Gold

That's how all started!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Deaf Dealer - Keeper Of The Flame

Before I got the LP I never heard of them, hadn't heard one song or anything. The reason I picked it up was because I saw they were on Metal Blade Records and they were an 80's band, plus it was $2.00!! I gave it a try and I glad I did... excellent band!
Also

Venom - Welcome To Hell

Of course I had heard of Venom but that was basically it. I heard maybe one song and didn't care much but I knew it was a pretty well know album so I got it. Once again very good.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Moreso in the past when I was in the navy and had plenty of spending money and later when I was using credit cards like there was no tomorrow. When my debt got too hight to pay it off in any foreseeable future (for debt help you need over 10,000 in debt) I said screw it and spent like crazy, stupid I know but can't change the past. So I have a lot of CDs of bands that I knew nothing about. Fortunatly, I didn't come accross any that I didn't like (I have disliked CDs that I bought off of bands that I heard some songs from):

Blind Guardian-Nightfall In Middle Earth
Anathema-Silent Enigma
Masterplan-Aeronautics
Rising Faith-The Arrival
Tristiana-Beyond The Veil
Running Wild-Black Hand Inn
Mortification-s/t
Visions Of Atlantis-Cast Away
Believer-Dimensions
Pestilence-Spheres
Dawn Rider-Fate Is Calling
Axenstar-Final Requiem
Firewind-Forged By Fire
Octavia Sperati-Grace Emerged
Ayereon-Into The Electric Castle
Overkill-I Hear Black
Mullmuzzler-Keep It To Yourself (didn't know that LaBrie had a solo album but I saw his name on it so I bought it)
Living Sacrifice-Nonexistent
The Revoltons-Night Vision
Riverside-Out Of Myself
Kategory V-The Rising Anger
Domain-Stardawn
Dragonland-Starfall
Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear

There are more but those are the most recent (last four years) or the ones I can remember from the past. The main reason I purchased these is because I liked the album cover or they had a sticker on them saying "for fans of..." or "featuring... of the band..." Into The Electric Castle has a sticker showing all the vocalists so I got that one. The earliest examples are I Hear Black (liked the album cover) which I got from Columbia Record Company in '93, Mortification (liked the album cover) which was on a tape I stole from Wal Mart when I was in high school (Imaging the irony I felt when it turned out to be a Christan band), and Nonexistent which I bought because my dad forbade me to listen to death metal that had a gory album cover or parental advisory sticker (pretty much ALL of them) so I went into a Christian bookstore and got an album that seemed to be a death metal CD.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 9:05 pm

I used to do this all the time, since I had to travel over 100 miles to buy music and knew nothing about many bands back then. I bought Bloodgood's first album on the strength of the cover art alone (and the fact that Darrell Mansfield produced it, poorly as it turned out).

Now, not so much because the internet makes it so easy to hear stuff, but I did buy a bunch of stuff from a bargain bin recently on the strength of the descriptions alone. Not a bad one in the bunch, either. Smile

exact33 wrote:
(like i know someone out there is going to be willing to part with their priest rocka rolla and sad wings cds someday hehe)

Believe it or not, I got both of those cds (remastered no less) at a pawn shop. Just $3 each. Smile
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Most thrash bands I will buy on style alone without hearing a note.Other than that I like to at least hear some samples.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 9:24 pm

I do it on occasion.

I recently bought Havoc Mass - Killing the Future solely on Curtis Beeson from Nasty Savage being a part of the band. I'm satisfied with it.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 2:35 am

krokus wrote:
Back in the late 80s nearly everything i bought was just because i liked the front cover of the vinyl. If it looked metal, i bought it. I kept doing that till i knew more about metal and i started buying magazines and fanzines from around the world. Till the world of internet in 2000. Then it was easier.

yeah, I remember the 80's. One that comes to mind off the top of my head was Rigor Mortis first album. I bought it because it looked so heavy. I had no idea it would be so brutal, and that guitar tone. that album was amazing back in 1988. Now, I suppose most people hate it but back then, it was my favorite for a few months.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CDS you bought knowing nothing about....   CDS you bought knowing nothing about.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CDS you bought knowing nothing about....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next