Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So, have you ever bought a CD...

Go down 
+8
sovdat
ghost
MetalGuy71
mc666
Thrasher73
Smindas
AchrisK
SideShowDisaSter
12 posters
AuthorMessage
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

So, have you ever bought a CD... Empty
PostSubject: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:26 am

...without hearing more than a short clip of one song, and found yourself absolutely DYING for it to arrive so you can hear it in its entirety?

I won a disc the other day on eBay from a band I had heard of, but never heard. It was a thrash band, but I kept seeing them refered to as a "twisted thrash band". After I bid, I went looking for mp3's or something to check it out. I found one clip that was only like 50 seconds long, but now I am freakin' DYING to hear this album, that clip sounded so good!

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:39 am

Who is the band?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:44 am

Nope.....

Ahh I would never have done that due to having damn dial up connection and not being able to download, but I would agree and say that after hearing a track on a CD that comes with different Metal Mags out there that I have gone crazy and searched for the albums
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:53 am

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:56 am

I've done that a few times Sideshow,sometimes you are pleasantly surprised and sometimes not.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 11:59 am

yeah i can remember a few occasions where that happened to me.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Sure. It's so easy nowadays with bands that have myspace pages. Before that, I can't count how many purchases I've made based strictly on a review or just a cool cover without ever hearing a note.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Yes, that happened to me sometimes.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Quote :
Who is the band?

Faff-Bey, a thrash band from Finland.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 12:50 pm

I'm dying to get Airdash - Both Ends ... CD now, but I haven't heard a
second of Airdash yet Smile It should be here in a weak I think.

Apollo Ra - I've heard one song, which totally ruled - was lucky enough to find a copy really soon!
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 1:30 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:

Faff-Bey?

I can see why you didn't mention it in the first place. Talk about dumb names...

Faff-Gey!!!

ack
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 3:04 pm

Yep - I've done that.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 9:44 pm

AchrisK wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:

Faff-Bey?

I can see why you didn't mention it in the first place. Talk about dumb names...

Faff-Gey!!!

ack

yeah, that sounds like pig-latin or something....
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39504

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 7:38 pm

I finally scored a copy of Steel Prophet's Continuum. I have heard the 2 tracks Death and Life (off Genesis-at least I assume they're the same tunes) and I cannot wait until I get it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 8:00 am

sovdat wrote:
I'm dying to get Airdash - Both Ends ... CD now, but I haven't heard a
second of Airdash yet Smile It should be here in a weak I think.

Airdash rules. I have their "Thank God It's Monday" album, and love it. Great stuff.

)+(
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 5:21 pm

Sounds better and better ! :)

Sideshow, post a short review of that album when you get it! I saw that you paid almost nothing for it, while it was sold for quite some money on another occasion ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200076416287

:)

EDIT: Ok, it seems that it was a Japanese copy, but anyway!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 5:57 pm

Sure, will do so once it arrives and I spin it a few times.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 11:27 am

It arrived yesterday, and I've spun the disc 3 times going on 4 now, and I'm pretty impressed!

Definitely a thrash band, and the only reason I can see for calling them a "twisted" thrash band would be the lyrics. The tongue is pretty much firmly planted in the cheek here, though the odd serious line does crop up. 3 or 4 of the songs are high speed, intense tracks, but for the most part the band plays a heavy, mid-paced brand of thrash. 2 of the songs are slow paced, crushing numbers. Solid riffs, sort of like Meliah Rage, where they don't use 20 per songs, instead using just a few but with great effect. The drum work is outstanding, and the bass is a tiny bit more prominent in the mix than usual, but not to Overkill - W.F.O. levels! The vocalist has the typical thrash vocals sound, but his accent works to give him a charisma he might not otherwise have. My only knock here is that there is precisely 1 solo among the 11 tracks. I actually didn't really even notice the lack of them until my second time through the disc. Chalk it up as another quality thrash band from Finland that suffered from lack of worldwide exposure.

BTW sovdat, that listing was partially wrong. The record label is correct, as it is on Poko, but the info on the album is wrong. This band is Finnish, this is their 3rd album, and they play thrash, not power metal. Also, Poko never liscensed their albums for Japanese release. I've seen that seller get a few of his listings mixed up before.

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 2:52 pm

One solo?

I think I would not like that. I think the killer solo is one of the greatest things about thrash.

ack
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks for a review, will be looking for my copy in the future!.

I'm probably getting second Tortoise Corpse album in a trade, but haven't heard a second of the band. However, the BNR info sounds promising:

An obscure Welsh band, Tortoise Corpse's
World's Got A Problem mixes gruff vocals, a healthy
NWOBHM influence, and a slight Motorhead-ish style
(musically, not vocally).
The result is interesting, though ultimately not all that
exciting (a substandard production doesn't help much).
By contrast, the later Standard Of Misery brightens things
considerably, with a much-improved production and improved
songwriting -- here, the style is more along the lines of power
metal, a bit thrashy at times, and in general much more quirky
than the first album, due in large part to the stylish guitarwork
of Tim Hamill (also much improved from the first album).
In short, World's Got A Problem isn't much, but
Standard Of Misery is quite interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 11:03 pm

I've had this happen, then I buy the album and end up totally disappointed.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 11:43 am

i remember when i heard a sounbite of veil of maya by cynic and now i MUST OWN THAT ALBUM!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, have you ever bought a CD...   So, have you ever bought a CD... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, have you ever bought a CD...
Page 1 of 1