Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'

Go down 
+9
Mglaffas81
DeathCult
manny
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Schbopo
XYZ
SAHB Healer
akeldama
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Empty
PostSubject: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 12:33 am

Lynyrd Skynyrd are currently in the studio working on their upcoming new album, which is titled "God And Guns" and will be released on September 29th, 2009. Although Lynyrd Skynyrd recently suffered the tragic losses of long time keyboardist Billy Powell and bassist Ean Evans, the band continue to work in the studio and they have even collaborated with ex-Marilyn Manson and current Rob Zombie guitarist John 5. With John 5 lending his songwriting skills, Lynyrd Skynyrd have even hinted of a darker sound on the upcoming album.

Video clip :

Artisan News caught up with guitarist John 5 to get his thoughts on working with Lynyrd Skynyrd on their new album since he's been a big fan for a long time.
Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Tv_16x18 Honor For John 5 To Work With Lynyrd Skynyrd

"We just get in the room and we write. They said they want to get me in there and play a solo on there or something like that so, anything. Anything to be associated with Lynyrd Skynyrd would be an honor. Because of course, me, you and everyone here loves Skynyrd. You know why not. So it is an honor."
Lynyrd Skynyrd are currently touring Europe and The U.K. with dates extending until June 5th in Paris, France. The band will then kick off a round of touring in North America beginning June 21st in Birmingham, Al and extending until September 19th in Henderson, NV.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 2:05 am

It sounds like a potential abomination, but it could end up as just the sort of ass-backward thing I sometimes end up liking. We'll see. I'll listen to it once anyway. I'm not a diehard Skynyrd fan like Akeldama though so it might be a tough sell. Razz
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 2:56 am

Very interesting. John 5 is a great guitarist.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 5:30 am

So, are there any original members left?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 am

Schbopo wrote:
So, are there any original members left?

Gary Rossington I think.

This collaboration intrigues me.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 10:28 am

xyz wrote:
Very interesting. John 5 is a great guitarist.

True, but that's a weird combination. John's a bit of a shredder, not the 1st person I'd associate with a legendary southern rock band. Eh, good for them. Hope it works out for both parties.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 10:30 am

You should remember that David Lee Roth discovered John 5 playing for k.d. lange when David Lee Roth hired him for his 'DLR' record so it is not as weird as it sounds on paper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 10:35 am

John 5 also collaborated with Meat Loaf on his last album. He'll only enhance Skynyrd's sound, IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 am

manny wrote:
You should remember that David Lee Roth discovered John 5 playing for k.d. lange when David Lee Roth hired him for his 'DLR' record so it is not as weird as it sounds on paper.

I knew the DLR thing, but I didn't know he played with KD Lang. I guess I'm caught up with the latter day image of John.

Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' John5

"Freebird" doesn't spring to mind. Like I stated, good for both of 'em I guees. I'm not particulary a Skynard fan, so this collaboration doesn't mean much to me.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 10:29 pm

John 5 is quite the accomplished country picker as well as a shredder.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 11:02 pm

All I know is that the album title should satisfy their rather large redneck constituency.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 6:50 pm

I think this will be a good thing. I'm pretty much a LS fanboy though.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Sounds pretty interesting. Though, I cant really get into Skynyrd much anymore, seems much too whiney to me now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Yep, his work with MeatLoaf turned out great. I was very sceptical to start with, looking at his previous bands, and the fact that he looks like a Hot Topic clerk, but he's a great guitarist. I'll buy the album, if I get the chance
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Just found out about this while watching wrestling (one of the songs is the theme for the next PPV). If it's at least as good as Edge Of Forever, then I'll get it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Well I have heard it and if you like country you'll love this. To me this is a country cd!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Hmmm, country like radio country or more like blues inflected country? LS has had a country feel at times but within a southern blues vibe.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:03 am

Saw Skynyrd last night and they sounded and looked great! Rickey Meldock just owns the stage. Look forward to the new album. They played a couple songs from it. I think one of them was title Skynrd Nation. Rickey shared lead vocal duties, which is cool as he has a great voice (and I'm a big Blackfoot fan).

I've seen Skynyrd 5-6x over the past few years. I keep hoping they will break out with an old Blackfoot song but it has yet to happen. Image Skynyrd rocking Train Train or Highway Song!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:23 am

My favorite Blackfoot song is Wishing Well.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:43 am

tohostudios wrote:
My favorite Blackfoot song is Wishing Well.

Cool song, but it's a FREE cover.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:51 am

Still my favorite song. I got to see them back in college when they opened for Molly Hatchet.

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 am

Some of John 5's other, lesser known contrubutions:

Dirty Trixx - 1983 - Guitarist, playing Van Halen covers in a Michigan bar

Raven Payne - 1987 - Guitarist, at 16 years old

John Wetton (of Asia) - John's first paid professional session. "It's one of the hardest I've ever done" states John 5.

Robin Zander (Cheap Trick singer) Guitarist, recorded demos

Pepperland - Guitarist, ghost player

Wilson Phillips - Guitarist, ghost player

Salt-N-Pepa - Live Performances including the Jay Leno Show

Rick Springfield - Guitarist, The Day After Yesterday, Tracks 4 and 14

Ozzy Osbourne - John 5 auditioned, unsuccessfully, for an open bass spot.

Night Ranger - Guitarist, ghost player

Red Square Black - 1994 - 'Square' EP, Lead Guitar

Lita Ford - 1994-95 - Guitarist, ghost player

Ryan Downe - 1996 - Guitar on track 'Japan' of The Hypocrite Album, plus guitar effects

froSTed - 1996 - - Guitarist

Leah Andreone - Former Girlfriend, Veiled, Guitar (1996), I Feel The Earth Move,
Guitar (1997), Alchemy, Lap Steel Guitar/Guitar (1998), co-wrote ten tracks

K.D. Lang - Guitarist
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:45 am

Quote :
Red Square Black - 1994 - 'Square' EP, Lead Guitar

I actually saw this band live. They opened for Testament (of all creatures) on their LOW tour in '94. Absolutely god-frickin'-awful!! Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Puke They sounded like the love child of NIN and Primus. I remember thinking "Wow, this band encapsulates everything I hate about the current music scene." Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_lol

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 am

Quote :

I thought I recognized his playing on "Shoop". Classic!! Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Lmao

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:56 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

I thought I recognized his playing on "Shoop". Classic!! Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Lmao

It disturbs me to find out that you know (apparently) a Salt N Pepa song title... Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'   Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lynyrd Skynyrd Collaborates With John 5 on new album 'God And Guns'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next