Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spiritual Beggars

Go down 
+8
troublemagnet
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
sam
James B.
Troublezone
Lurideath
Mglaffas81
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 3:44 am

Anyone heard of these guys? Just heard them while browsing through YouTube. Great band!

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 4:07 am

Yeah great band. Michael Amott rules in this band!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 5:00 am

I have their first record.

Spiritual Beggars Spiritualbeggarsanothervy8

Good stoner rock.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:46 am

dig the 70's vibe but the guitar tone on the verses clash's a bit, perhaps. I wouldn't change the station if the tune came on.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 9:27 am

good stuff, shows how diverse Michael Amott is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 9:58 am

Their first 3 albums are in the "stoner" vein (that video is from their third album Ad Astra). They changed vocalists for the next two albums and morphed more into a heavier version of the Deep Purple/Whitesnake template.

My favorite album is On Fire, which I've played to death over the past few months. All the albums I've heard are excellent.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 10:01 am

detuned wrote:
Their first 3 albums are in the "stoner" vein (that video is from their third album Ad Astra). They changed vocalists for the next two albums and morphed more into a heavier version of the Deep Purple/Whitesnake template.

My favorite album is On Fire, which I've played to death over the past few months. All the albums I've heard are excellent.

The first album definately has a Trouble (manic frustration) vibe to it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 pm

Got my 1st disc from these guys. I've been spinning On Fire for the last 2 weeks and I love it. I don't know where that disc falls chronologically, but I certainly hear the Deep Purple-vibe going on with that organ music so I'm guessing it's latter-day. Cool stuff that makes me want to check out more from these guys, fo shizzle.

Is the other vocalist decent? If I like the guy on On Fire, will I like the other dude?

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:52 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Got my 1st disc from these guys. I've been spinning On Fire for the last 2 weeks and I love it. I don't know where that disc falls chronologically, but I certainly hear the Deep Purple-vibe going on with that organ music so I'm guessing it's latter-day. Cool stuff that makes me want to check out more from these guys, fo shizzle.

Is the other vocalist decent? If I like the guy on On Fire, will I like the other dude?

On Fire is the 4th album and the first to feature the vocalist from Grand Magus. The earlier vocalist is more in the Kyuss-John Garcia inspired vein. I like both eras of the band, but On Fire is still my favorite. I would grab Ad Astra as the next pick...that was the first album to feature a keyboard player as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Quote :
I would grab Ad Astra as the next pick

Their discography is relatively small and not overly expensive, so I'm sure in time, I'll get them all. I was eyeing up Ad Astra as the next purchase though, but mostly because of the boobies on the cover. Boobies trump everything when it comes to making decisions.

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 11:13 am

UP.

from blabbermouth:

SPIRITUAL BEGGARS, the Swedish band featuring ARCH ENEMY guitarist Michael Amott and bassist Sharlee D'Angelo, along with new vocalist Apollo Papathanasio (FIREWIND), will release its seventh studio album, "Return To Zero", in Europe on August 30 via InsideOut Music. The follow-up to 2005's "Demons" was recorded at Sweetspot Studio with producer Rickard Bengtsson.

"Return To Zero" track listing:

01. Return To Zero (intro)
02. Lost In Yesterday
03. Star Born
04. The Chaos Of Rebirth
05. We Are Free
06. Spirit Of The Wind
07. Coming Home
08. Concrete Horizon
09. A New Dawn Rising
10. Believe In Me
11. Dead Weight
12. The Road Less Travelled

Spiritual Beggars Spiritualzero
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 11:52 am

Bitchin' cover.

This one goes on the official want-list automatically. Slowly gathering up their discography and haven't been disappointed yet. Good stuff

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Spiritual Beggars with Apollo would be interesting indeed. Firewind is very good, but they don't highlight that side of his voice enough. I believe the guy from Grand Magus has done some vocals for this band as well, another good band.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 pm

detuned wrote:

"On Fire" is incredible. "Demons" is great too.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:00 am

detuned wrote:
UP.

from blabbermouth:

SPIRITUAL BEGGARS, the Swedish band featuring ARCH ENEMY guitarist Michael Amott and bassist Sharlee D'Angelo, along with new vocalist Apollo Papathanasio (FIREWIND), will release its seventh studio album, "Return To Zero", in Europe on August 30 via InsideOut Music. The follow-up to 2005's "Demons" was recorded at Sweetspot Studio with producer Rickard Bengtsson.

"Return To Zero" track listing:

01. Return To Zero (intro)
02. Lost In Yesterday
03. Star Born
04. The Chaos Of Rebirth
05. We Are Free
06. Spirit Of The Wind
07. Coming Home
08. Concrete Horizon
09. A New Dawn Rising
10. Believe In Me
11. Dead Weight
12. The Road Less Travelled

Spiritual Beggars Spiritualzero

The new one sounds great!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 3:55 pm

Spiritual Beggars 83628

Got the new one this week. Cool stuff. Mine has a bonus track 'Time to Live' which is apparently a Uriah Heep cover. Never heard the original, so I can't compare, but it sounds right at home on Return to Zero.

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:01 pm

"Time To Live" is a song from Heep's second album Salisbury.

How does the new vocalist fit? I really like J.B.'s voice on the past couple albums. Is the new guy similar?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:14 pm

I think he's a good fit. I'm not sure who I'd compare him to but he's got a soulful delivery. Good singer, no screaming or growling. He belts out a few higher notes almost like a young Ian Gillan. Maybe that's who'd I compare him to. Kinda-sorta. Maybe because the whole band has a Deep Purple-vibe going for it. I dunno. I might just be talking outta my ass again.

As I'm listening to this album, I do notice one clunker in the batch. 'The Road Less Travelled' is a kind of slow ballad. Not that it's terrible, but a bit of a weak link on an otherwise strong album. These guys shoud stick to stoner/hard rock. Leave the ballads to someone else.

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:19 pm

The keyboardist for Beggars just got fired from Opeth (his other gig), so maybe Beggars will become a bigger focus. It's tough with bands like this though, because all the guys are in other (more successful) bands.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:26 pm

I dig these guys. I had On Fire and Ad Astra. Wish I had more.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Bump for new album...

Quote :
SPIRITUAL BEGGARS — the Swedish band featuring ARCH ENEMY guitarist Michael Amott and bassist Sharlee D'Angelo, along with vocalist Apollo Papathanasio (ex-FIREWIND) — will release its eighth studio album, "Earth Blues", on April 16 (one day earlier internationally) via InsideOut Music.

Spiritual Beggars Sbeggarsearthblues

Sweeeeeeeet!!

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Good news.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Apollo seems like an odd fit.
Back to top Go down

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Apollo seems like an odd fit.

He was on the last album and sounded fine, basically sticking close to the style J.B. used.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm

I have to go back and re-visit that last album, Return to Zero. I spun it through a few times when I first got it, and it's been shelved ever since.

The band has progressed away from their beginnings as a stoner/psychedelic band into more of a 70's Deep Purple-inspired rock band. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think I prefer their older stuff just a hair more. Has a bit more personality to it.

Still looking forward to anything new from these guys.

Spiritual Beggars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Beggars   Spiritual Beggars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spiritual Beggars
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: