Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?

Go down 
+2
corplhicks
Gilbert
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9875

Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:36 am

I purchased an album titled PATHFINDER by a band called BEGGARS OPERA.

Actually, it was a blind purchase, which turned out to be pretty amazing.

This is an old british progressive rock band, with a very interesting sound.

Plus the cover art is cool.

Any fans?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:50 am

This is interesting; I did the same thing last year. Found Pathfinder on ebay, loved the name and the cover art, bought it, then did the research. Fell in love with it, great production and catchy melodies. What would be grand is if someone would do a metal cover of The Witch. That's a groovy slice of proto-metal right there; I can almost hear Maiden doing it.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:12 am

I think they did about 3-4 albums and I've heard two(?) of them. I'll have to look on in itunes to see what I have.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9875

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:12 am

How much did you pay for your copy?

Got mine new at 12$
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 am

I like their cover of MacArthur Park, but that's all I've heard of them. They're a band who every now and then I think I should investigate further, but never seem to get around to doing so.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 11:29 am

Gilbert wrote:
How much did you pay for your copy?

Got mine new at 12$

Around the same, 10 or 12, can't exactly remember.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 1:20 pm

The album "Waters Of Change" is worth checking out as well.

Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? 51S2fzYUozL._SL500_AA280_
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Interesting old band. They started off as a prog band with classical influences, then went to hard rock for the album "Get Your Dog Off Me". There is a song on that one called "Woman Of Hellfire" that sounds a lot like AC/DC, which is interesting because it's from 1973. The early prog stuff is probably better, anlong the lines of Caravan and Camel.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Always wanted to check these guys out, but never got around to actually doing it.
BTW, I'm pretty sure they aren't a metal or hard rock band. Wink
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 1:33 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Always wanted to check these guys out, but never got around to actually doing it.
BTW, I'm pretty sure they aren't a metal or hard rock band. Wink

I think of them as proto-metal because you can imagine a metal band pulling off covers of them perfectly. They also have some of the elements in their grooves, cadences, melodies, energy, overall tone, guitar and organ work--it almost feels like early DP mixed with Colosseum. Then again, I've only heard Pathfinder and am judging this based on the one album.

But really they were just prog rock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?   Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody familiar with Beggars Opera?
Page 1 of 1