Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot

Go down 
+7
zombiewalkin
kmorg
exact33
stepcousin
Wargod
mc666
stormspell
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Empty
PostSubject: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 6:32 pm

As most people here who have decent size CD / LP collections will know it's hard to keep track of what you have esp. when you are out and about, and the odd time I have bought a CD or vinyl in a secondhand store which in fact when I get home I realise that I already have it, (even happens to me on ebay) well for say $10 I wont cry too much as it usually turns out to be trade fodder.

However due to my own stupidity I happend to really out do myself beyond belief and at a hefty cost too may I say. What happened was I read a listing on ebay wrong and it was total negeliance on my behalf, The item in question (and some of you vinyl collectors will know the value of this piece....) Savatage - Sirens (Blue Par label), for some unknown reason best known to someone else I though that I was bidding on the picture Disc version instead I bid on the standard version (which I already have).

So to say that sparks will fly in the Locky household in the coming days is an understatement.

Has anyone else ever made a HUGE arse up like this ? please tell me I'm not alone.

Last edited by on Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 6:41 pm

How much money you ended paying for it?

It happens to me all the time to buy something I already own but have forgotten about, but since I never pay more than $20 per CD no matter how collectible it is, I usually walk away undisturbed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 6:55 pm

i buy dupes by accident all the time. generally if the price i pay is under $10, i don't waste time investigating as to whether i already own it. sometimes i also get alot of them when i buy in lots from ebay, flea markets, or yard sales. i just usually throw them away. however if i was going to spend big money on a single particular album, i would double check to make sure i did not already have it.

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 10:08 pm

To be honest with you all it has happened to me twice and even with 7000+ cds. I have a good memory or so I think!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 11:35 pm

Hahaha. Good to know I'm not the only one. I constantly buy albums I already own. Haha. I need some sort of Blackberry type deal with my music spreadsheet on it.

But in the case of the Savatage LP, at least you can resell it on eBay for probably the same amount of money.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 6:45 am

cant say ive ever done that before but hey, you can re-sell it Im sure.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 9:53 am

I am not sure I have done it either but I cannot remember what I trade/sell a lot and sometimes dont have stuff that i think i do and then spend a lot of time searching and then trying to remember what happened to it.

I tried one year to keep track of everything bought/sold/traded. Made it to march and then gave up...

Alex

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 6:35 am

I've done this before, but not for any huge amounts of money. The last time I did this was buying 2 Christian metal CD's from the poster above me! lol!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 7:32 am

Ya know I dont think Ive done that before.....one day I will though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 10:07 am

I've never went through with the purchase, but I've definitely stood in a used shop, cd in hand, looking at it and saying "Do I have this already? Did I to have this before and trade it in?"
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 9:46 am

ya know over here the concept of buying a used cd is unheard off ya know of course it is possible but there are few shops dedicated to that kind of stuff
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 10:23 am

TheGooch wrote:
ya know over here the concept of buying a used cd is unheard off ya know of course it is possible but there are few shops dedicated to that kind of stuff

Unfortunately, used shops are becoming a rareity around these parts as well. There used to be 5 in my general vacinity that I would frequent. Now there is only one independant shop left. The local FYE has a used section as well, and although you have to sift through alot of crap, I find a rare gem from time to time. The nice thing about a commercial store selling used cd's is that they usually don't know the value of some rare stuff. Things that might sell for big bucks on eBay will go for $7 or $8 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 10:35 am

I've done it before,and usually end up trading it on LaLa or selling it.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 1:27 am

The only time that I am aware of having done this was when I bough a couple of lots off eBay...I was after something else and the duplicate came with it.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 8:25 am

Chalk me up in the idiot category. I was in a used shop yesterday and picked up Iced Earth's "Burnt Offerings" only to find when I got home that I already own it. D'OH!!

I guess what threw me is that they have 2 different covers. I'm assuming that one is a re-issue. They both have the same songs, just the artwork/liner notes are different. Is the original worth keeping?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot   Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Total waste of money...I'm an Idiot
Page 1 of 1