Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Led Zeppelin Discography

Go down 
+22
Svengo
Troublezone
sam
SAHB Healer
scottmitchell74
journeyman
kmorg
sheets
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
rattpoison
DeathCult
EvyMetal
candlemass
James B.
stepcousin
Lari
Schbopo
iamrockerfun
manny
XYZ
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 10:32 am

When I was a teenager I'll admit this album did very little for me compared to the rest of Zeppelin's catalog, but as my tastes have matured over the years my appreciation has definitely increased. Between the release of Presence and this album the musical landscape had changed considerably with the emergence of punk, disco and new wave...Zep tips their hand a little bit in that direction without losing their identity in the process.

In The Evening is a classic Zeppelin track slightly updated with synthesizer. South Bound Saurez is very underrated, Bonham's groove on this song is just killer. Fool In The Rain is yet another classic. Hot Dog is pretty much a dud, they did this kind of humorous track more convincingly on Physical Grafitti.

Carouselambra is the only tune on here that sounds like a self-conscious attempt to sound "modern" (the synth sound really dates it)...however, when it slows down for the middle section it's epic and Page plays a fantastic solo. All Of My Love of course was a radio staple back in the day, but I've always found it to be a little too treakly and bombastic...no matter the intent of the song, Zeppelin did far better ballads. I'm Gonna Crawl is a fun little song, nothing earth shattering.

I've always wished that "Wearing And Tearing" had been included on this album.

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things it's still Zeppelin's weakest studio album (I'm not counting Coda), but I think it's unfairly criticized by many.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:27 am

Led Zeppelin - Coda
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Led_Zeppelin_coda

After the death John Bonham in 1980, Led Zeppelin released Coda in 1982. It was comprised of unreleased songs that Zeppelin had recorded over the years and were either outtakes or b-sides. A few of the songs were even recorded live and had guitar parts removed and new ones added (We're Gonna Groove). "I Can't Quit You Baby" was the other live outtake included on the compilation.

The other tracks were from the Led Zeppelin III sessions ("Poor Tom", "Hey Hey What Can I Do"), Houses Of The Holy ("Walter's Walk"), and In Through The Out Door ("Ozone Baby", "Darlene", "Wearing And Tearing"). "Bonzo's Montreux" is another of John Bonham's "grade A" drum solos. It shows, again, that John Bonham is/was one of the greatest rock drummers.

Overall, there are a few standout cuts, but it is evident that these songs aren't up to par with Zeppelin's album material.

My rating:

8/10
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 6:45 am

'Coda' is the least played Led Zeppelin album in my collection. I do not hate the album but the album seems like it was put together at the last minute.

The songs are outtakes and sometimes there are good reasons why songs remain unreleased. Not a terrible album but by Led Zeppelin standards it is a disaster.

'Wearing and Tearing' is a rare bright spot on the album, the rest of the tracks not bad but all seemed out of place.

BTW my copy does not have 'Hey Hey What I Can Do', the song appears on my Led Zeppelin boxset.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 10:20 am

manny wrote:
BTW my copy does not have 'Hey Hey What I Can Do', the song appears on my Led Zeppelin boxset.

I wish they had included it on the "stand alone" album and not just in the boxset. It's probably the best song on the album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 11:37 am

manny wrote:

Same here. My copy of CODA does not contain 'Hey, Hey...' I didn't know it was ever on that album. I always thought it was a non-album b-side that wasn't released in cd format until that box set came out. I remember my buddy Bob having the 45 of it. What was the flip-side of that one? 'Immigrant Song', maybe?

XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 1:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
What was the flip-side of that one? 'Immigrant Song', maybe?

You are correct.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 2:06 pm

I have the "Complete Studio Recordings" boxset (the black box with the albums in their original format), the bonus tracks from the previous Zeppelin boxes were added onto the end of CODA:

Baby Come On Home
Travelling Riverside Blues
White Summer/Black Mountain Side
Hey Hey What Can I Do

Those four bonus tracks are superior to anything on the original release of CODA, which is a poor representation of the band. They ruin "We're Gonna Groove" with the guitar overdubs (the original live version is killer) and most of the other tracks are sub-par quality. The few standouts are the soundcheck recording of "I Can't Quit You Baby" (which is awesome), Bonzo's Montreaux and "Wearing And Tearing".

But it's an album that should probably never have been released in the first place aside from a few songs. Sometimes unreleased material should stay that way.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 2:25 pm

Quote :
The songs are outtakes and sometimes there are good reasons why songs remain unreleased. Not a terrible album but by Led Zeppelin standards it is a disaster.

Quote :
But it's an album that should probably never have been released in the first place aside from a few songs. Sometimes unreleased material should stay that way.

Geez, you guys are tough on CODA. :kickbutt: I've always enjoyed that album. I guess I'm just nostolgic. Or retarded. Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 811939

XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 6:07 pm

I think it was pretty well understood that all these songs would would be sub par. It's not like this was meant to be a major release.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 6:17 pm

xyz wrote:
I think it was pretty well understood that all these songs would would be sub par. It's not like this was meant to be a major release.

I am not sure if the songs are sub par, maybe it is just the way they sequenced the album. It is a odds and sods type of collection I realize, but it is the only Led Zeppelin I can't give many kudos to.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 6:51 pm

detuned wrote:
Carouselambra is the only tune on here that sounds like a self-conscious attempt to sound "modern" (the synth sound really dates it)...however, when it slows down for the middle section it's epic and Page plays a fantastic solo.

I love the middle section as well. It's my favorite moment on the album. 🤘
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Led_zeppelin_bbc_sessions_cover

BBC Sessions are an early look at Zeppelin when they were becoming the one of the world's biggest rock/heavy metal acts. The CD compiles six sessions of various BBC appearances from '69 to '71. The performances, having been bootlegged for years, show Zeppelin at it's finest. The production doesn't have a lot of heaviness to it, but who needs heavy production when you got heavy ass riffs.

As in most Zeppelin shows, there are extended jams and unexpected song choices. Unreleased songs like "The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair" and "Somethin' Else" add a breath of fresh air to the recordings and show Zeppelin never wanted to be constrained. Extended jams included the "Whole Lotta Love" medley and "How Many More Times" (a favorite of mine).

Overall, it is a very interesting look at a band coming into their own and is essential for any Zeppelin fan.

My rating:

9/10
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Excellent live led Zeppelin album, better by far than 'The Song Remains the Same'. It is also very interesting look at early Led Zeppelin live, and gives an idea of the kind of power they projected on stage. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:46 pm

I love that BBC Sessions release, it was so nice to have all that material collected in one place. Zeppelin made incredible albums, but they really clicked in concert...especially in their early days. The joy of exploration is there, and you can hear them develop very quickly.

I need to pull this one out and listen to it today, it's been way too long.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Bought this on a whim, ("Ehh, another live album?) and man-o-man, what a great cd!! Just awesome!!

XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:11 pm

I would say it's their second greatest live offering.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:22 pm

xyz wrote:

#1 = How The West Was Won?
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 pm

detuned wrote:
xyz wrote:

You'll find out Thursday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:36 pm

xyz wrote:
detuned wrote:
xyz wrote:

Jerk!

just kidding
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 pm

detuned wrote:
xyz wrote:
detuned wrote:
xyz wrote:

Jerk!

just kidding

How else do you think I'll keep you guys coming back to this thread. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 2:24 am

Back to the BBC Sessions disc, this is really a "must-own" for Zeppelin fans and don't be turned off by the fact that they are live performances. This is the sound of a very hungry band honing their craft...which in itself is a beautiful thing.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won/DVD
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Ledzepp4 Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 LedZeppelinDVDcover

In May of 2003, Led Zeppelin finally released live material that truly does justice to their live chops. The live album released, How The West Was Won, is truly one of the greatest live albums ever. Nostalgia often keeps people from declaring newer releases to be better than albums that were released in the 60's and 70's. In most cases, nostalgia is correct in saying the Fourth Album is better than many albums today; however, it isn't right when it comes to How The West Was Won. This album is at least in the top 20 of all-time greatest live albums. Zeppelin turns out a great performance and shows why they are one of the greatest live bands ever. The "Immigrant Song" kicks things off with a bang. This version is much heavier than the album version and also includes a guitar solo. Almost ever song on this album benefits from the live setting. "Since I've Been Loving You" is spectacular live. Jones's organ playing is much more upfront in the mix and breathes a new energy to the song. John Bonham goes off on "Moby Dick" and lays down some great drum experimentation. Overall, the album is magnificant.

The Led Zeppelin DVD provides many taped live performances of Zeppelin in the 60's and 70's. Since many people were not albe to see Zeppelin when they were touring, this dvd gives fans an impressive look at what Zeppelin was like at the height of their power. Pretty much every album is represented on the dvd. Standouts include "In My Time Of Dying", "Achilles Last Stand", "Dazed And Confused", and "Rock And Roll." This is truly the most definitive look at live Zeppelin.

Overall, it's a must-have for any rock fan.

My rating:

10/10Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 LedZeppelinDVDcover
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 1:59 pm

100% agree with XYZ, 'How the West was Won' is one of the greatest live albums ever released and you can hear why Led Zeppelin were so highly regarded as a live act.

The Led Zeppelin DVD maybe the best live DVD in my exstenstive live DVD collection, especially cool is the live version of 'In The Evening' from the Knebworth show, which smokes and leaves the studio version in the dust. Excellent DVD and CD, highly recommended and gives you a glimpse one of the founding fathers of metal in doing what they do best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 pm

There was many years that I didn't listen to Zeppelin, mainly because of "classic rock radio burnout" and because I was exploring other genres. But when the Zep DVD came out it was too tempting not to pick up, so I grabbed it the week of release.

That DVD re-ignited my interest in Zeppelin in one shot. The 1970 concert from Royal Albert Hall was a revelation, so great to hear these guys this young and HUNGRY! We're Gonna Groove which starts the concert is completely kick-ass and shows once and for all that Page had no need to re-record the guitar parts for CODA. The bonus TV performances are also worth checking out (the Supershow segment I had seen years before, I used to have the full concert on VHS).

My other favorite part of this DVD is the 1975 Earl's Court performance, primarily for the acoustic set (That's The Way is one of my favorite Zep songs) and to finally see a live version of In My Time Of Dying. Majestic is the best word to describe this. The Knebworth date is also first rate.

It was awhile before I picked up How The West Was Won but it was also worth the wait...and immediately wiped the floor with The Song Remains The Same. I absolutely LOVE the version of Black Dog on here! In fact the entire set is excellent (although it's not from a single concert, but selections from a variety of west coast dates).

Both of these releases are absolute "must-own" for Zeppelin fans...and excellent introductions for people that might no be familiar with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Led Zeppelin Discography
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next