Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Led Zeppelin Discography

Go down 
+22
Svengo
Troublezone
sam
SAHB Healer
scottmitchell74
journeyman
kmorg
sheets
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
rattpoison
DeathCult
EvyMetal
candlemass
James B.
stepcousin
Lari
Schbopo
iamrockerfun
manny
XYZ
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:31 pm

One of my favorite live lp's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Led Zeppelin - Presence
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Led_Zeppelin_Presence

Presence is an underrated album. The album was made in 1976 as a result of a car crash Robert Plant suffered in Greece in 1975. So instead of a world tour, Plant started to write song lyrics; he was later joined by Jimmy Page and later John Bonham and John Paul Jones. The album was hurried quite a bit (it was recorded in 18 days) which lead to a seemingly unpolished product.

However, the songs recorded are classic Zeppelin. "Achilles Last Stand" is an epic proto-speed metal song. Page's swift, clean picking and Bonham jackhammer-like drums have made this a fan favorite (it is also Jimmy Page's favorite as well). At 10:25, it is one of Zeppelin's longest songs as well.

As for the rest of the tracks on the album, only "Nobody's Fault But Mine" received any kind of recognition by the public; however, "Hots On For Nowhere" and "For Your Life" are two of the album's stronger tracks. "Royal Orleans" tells the story of a man how accidentally took a transvestite up to his room (said to be about John Paul Jones). "Tea For One" bears resemblance to "Since I've Been Loving You." Page, in fact, said that this song was the only time Led Zeppelin ever repeated themselves.

Looking back at it, Presence was hurried, but it is not as bad as the critics say.

My rating:

8.5/10
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:08 pm

The most underrated Led Zeppelin album and maybe the heaviest album they ever recorded. Every track on this album is a winner and Bonham's drumming stands out on this recording.

'Royal Orleans' an underrated classic and I am not sure how many of these songs got added to set list since I believe the tour may have been cut short due to the death of Robert Plant's son.

"Candy Store Rock' is another stand out cut and Jimmy Page's playing captures all the rage and emotional rollercoaster the band was experiencing.

This was Led Zeppelin' worst selling album and it still managed to obtain platinum status. Highly highly recommended and one of the few Led Zeppelin albums not burn out from classic rock radio's unimaginative playlists.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:10 pm

great lp... "Tea for One" is a personal favorite
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Easily one of my favorite Led Zeppelin albums and criminally ignored for the most part. The quick recording actually adds to the immediacy of the material and adds that little extra "edge".

Nobody's Fault But Mine is a stone classic, as is the majority of the album. As Manny mentioned not a bad song here and thankfully it hasn't been played to death by classic rock radio.

This album also contains my favorite Jimmy Page performance on Tea For One. That track is just pure magic and Page's guitar work is flat-out genius. I love the way it opens with a riff that is quickly discarded as the song slows down for it's main groove...it's a great sensation that tricks you into thinking one thing...before it takes you to an entirely new level. This song is a textbook example of how to play blues rock with real passion.

Probably the Zeppelin album I listen to the most.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 4:20 pm

To this day this is this only Zeppelin album I own.

I guess it's mostly because growing up I had probably heard just about every other album of theirs about what seemed a million times. It always seemed that growing up wherever I went; a friends house, a party, a dorm room, or just about any kind of gathering somebody had a Zeppelin album playing. This doesn't even take into account the tons of times I heard many of these same songs on the radio over the years.

Needless to say I had become pretty burned out with them. I remember seeing this album cover in a music store one day and thinking, hey I know I don't own that and picking up and being surprised that it was a Zeppelin album and even more surprised that I didn't recognize almost all of the songs. When I listened to it I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it given my Zeppelin burnout and it remains a favorite album to this day.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Going back to The Song Remains The Same, that was my first introduction to Led Zeppelin.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:49 am

Well since its so far along and much has already been said, Ill keep it brief.

Houses Of The Holy: One of my favorite Zeppelin albums, just perfect all around.

Physical Graffiti: Another great one, only a few dull moments which are few and far between, but even those songs I dig.

The Song Remains The Same: I dig the film, and I love Zeppelin, but this is an album I listen to rarely, pretty good though.

Presence: One of my favorites, another flawless one IMO. Anyone who thinks Zeppelin started to slip here really needs to listen to this again
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 11:45 am

Presence was kind of weak for me. Besides Achilles' Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine, I can't remember a song on it.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Where's that confounded bridge?!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 2:43 pm

I really dig this album and as mentioned before it is not played to death on the radio. I read somewhere that the cover art has satanic albeit cryptic imagery. Bonzo's best album performance IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 2:44 pm

akeldama wrote:
I really dig this album and as mentioned before it is not played to death on the radio. I read somewhere that the cover art has satanic albeit cryptic imagery. Bonzo's best album performance IMO.

It's not satanic, it's a joke on the monolith from 2001.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:32 pm

That's one of the problems w/some christians, they see Satan everywhere! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 4:07 pm

detuned wrote:
akeldama wrote:

I never heard it was satanic, but I'm sure at the time of it's release, the cover was so cryptic and odd, numerous rumors flew about as to what that black symbol meant. And the band members did nothing to quell those bizarre rumors. Let people's imagination run wild and strange theories abound. Freud be damned, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 4:59 pm

detuned wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Some of it might stem from John Bonham's claim that there was an ambient noise on a tape recorder when it was placed next to the object. His wife wouldn't even keep it in the house after that.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 6:33 pm

I always thought they put a pattern on a photograph and cut it out and placed something black behind it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 6:37 pm

from wikipedia:

The cover and inside sleeve of this album, created by Hipgnosis, features various images of people interacting with a black obelisk-shaped
object. Inside the album sleeve, the item is referred to simply as "The
Object". It was intended to represent the "force and presence" of Led
Zeppelin.[1] In the liner notes of the Led Zeppelin Remasters, Jimmy Page explained:

There was no working title for the album. The record-jacket designer
said `When I think of the group, I always think of power and force.
There's a definite presence there.' That was it. He wanted to call it
`Obelisk'. To me, it was more important what was behind the obelisk.
The cover is very tongue-in-cheek, to be quite honest. Sort of a joke
on [the film] 2001. I think it's quite amusing.
The background used in the cover photograph is of an artificial marina that was installed inside London's Earl's Court Arena
for the annual Earl's Court Boat Show that was held in the winter of
1974–1975. This was the same venue where the band played a series of concerts a few months after the boat show, in May 1975.
In 1977 the album was nominated for a Grammy Award in the category of best album package.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:49 pm

candlemass wrote:
That's one of the problems w/some christians, they see Satan everywhere! Twisted Evil

I never said I thought it was satanic, I read or saw it somewhere.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 8:30 am

akeldama wrote:
candlemass wrote:

I never said I thought it was satanic, I read or saw it somewhere.

I never said you said that, and raise you twenty!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:11 am

Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Led_Zeppelin_In_Through_The_Outdoor

A better name for this album could perhaps be the John Paul Jones Album. Led Zeppelin was falling into disrepair at this point. Plant was mourning the loss of his son, Karac, Jimmy Page was stung out on heroin half the time, and John Bonham was a full blown alcoholic. This left John Paul Jones to do most of the writing and arranging of the music. The band was also splitting into two factions. Jones and Plant would come in at one time to work, and Page and Bonham would come in at a different time to put in their hours.

This is again a very diverse Zeppelin album. Keybroads, an instrument that Jones played, was very prominant in the mix (mainly because Jones wrote the album). Whether it was the keyboard intro to "In The Evening" or the keyboard-driven songs "Carouselambra" or 'All My Love", Jones has heavy influence on the album.

"Fool In The Rain" and "Hot Dog" again show Zeppelin's diversity and Jones's piano skills. It is a far cry from the guitar driven rock of Fourth Album and Led Zeppelin II.

Sadly, John Bonham passed away roughly a year after the album was released. His death subsequently caused the grounding of the mighty Zeppelin. Plant has said that they just couldn't pug someone else in and keep going on. RIP

My rating:

8/10

The album was rapped in a brown bag, and it came with many different combinations of covers.

Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Aback
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Afront
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Bback
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Bfront
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Cback
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Cfront
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Dback
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Dfront
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Eback
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Efront
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Fback
Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Ffront

The covers are in combinations of two. The back is posted first and the front cover is posted second.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 6:19 am

This album is definitely John Paul Jones baby, and it is album that deserves to get more attention.

'In the Evening' is a great opening track and John Bonham's playing is extraordinary as always. Jimmy Page's guitar playing was more subtle, and most of the time taking a supporting role. His playing on 'All of My Love' is beautiful.

'All of My Love' was written as a tribute to Robert Plant's song Karac. Robert Plant's voice has changed slightly and is a little deeper and more expressive.

'A Fool in the Rain' is another example of why you could not just go out and replace John Bonham. His half beat shuffle and latin gives this track its feel.

A great album, highly recommended.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:07 am

It's actually been years since I heard this record, think I'll pull it out and spin it today prior to writing up my thoughts on it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:11 am

another great lp

different but still great.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 12:53 am

I love the different combinations of cover art that came with the album. Each one was unique.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 2:12 am

Didn't the brown bag it was wrapped in change colors if you added water to it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Led Zeppelin Discography
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next