Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One trick pony guitarists.

Go down 
+24
manny
akeldama
Ben Grimm
Mglaffas81
kmorg
powermacho
DallasBlack
mc666
7thSaviour
arttieTHE1manparty
Rex
metalinmyveins
plancha7
tohostudios
Getizzyback
metalhead777
Thrasher73
XYZ
SideShowDisaSter
Svengo
ultmetal
Stender
Schbopo
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 12:29 am

detuned wrote:
Man, I'm not going to argue...but I'm not a liar. This was your original post, which I copied in my initial response.

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I'm not arguing his significance or his
place in metal history, but just being innovative dosnt make you the
best when loads of players can copy your style that easily down the
road.

Name a guitarist that can't be copied? Trower even does Hendrix better than Hendrix...

The bottom line is anyone can be copied and i didn't need anyone to tell me Trower was influenced by Hendrix since we were talking about (imitating). I don't necessarily feel any imitator is better than the original but some come damn close. Same with EVH...
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Kirk Hammet.....yes i went there!
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Joe Perry
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Eddie Van Halen was the first one I thought of too. All his solos sound the same to me; they all use that same technique ad nauseum.

Metal novice
Metal novice
plancha7

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Stender wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Stender wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
John Petrucci

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

Let the hate come.....I'm ready xyz. Very Happy

Hardly. Rolling Eyes

In my opinion Eruption pretty much wraps up Eddie...I think there is a number of other guitarists could handle the songs by Van halen.

Sorry, but this just reeks of historic ignorance. I am hardly the biggest Van Halen fan, nor am I one who thinks Eddie is the be-all-and-end-all of guitarist, but please tell me, who else was doing what Eddie Van Halen was doing in 1978? What other guitarist changed heavy metal into the next decade. After Eddie a million guitarists were trying to learn how to play "Eruption" and the tap-on style was suddenly everywhere.

And as far as Eruption "wrapping up" Eddie Van Halen, you've obviously not heard much Van Halen if that is your opinion. "Spanish Fly" anyone?

I'm not arguing his significance or his place in metal history, but just being innovative dosnt make you the best when loads of players can copy your style that easily down the road.
This to me is completely ridiculous logic, and i'm not even that much of a VH fan. An artists ability and worth is not diminished in relation to the quality of his followers.

It's a great deal more difficult to create something worthy of being plagiarized than it is to merely copy someone else's technique. Eddie's followers cloned his style by meticously studying it and mechanically replicating it monkey-see/monkey-do style. How can that be "better" than the revolutionary, inspirational, organic, self-taught style of the original?.

I'm genuinely confused by the logic.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:21 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Mick Mars

He was the first one I thought of too

I concur with this as well. Poor Mick Mars immediately came to my mind as well. I think it to look me longer to actually breathe in and out than it did to think of him as a one trick pony.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:25 pm

My first thought was George Thorogood. Not that he's a bad guitarist. I quite enjoy him actually, but he pretty much sticks to the same thing all the time.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
My first thought was George Thorogood. Not that he's a bad guitarist. I quite enjoy him actually, but he pretty much sticks to the same thing all the time.

Yeah, I like ol' Lonesome George too but you could pretty much drop his solos into any other song of his with the same tempo and you'd hardly notice a difference.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jon Schaffer yet. A triplet trick pony for sure........but I love it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Bagging on Eddie is illegal in 47 states,
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 5:37 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Bagging on Eddie is illegal in 47 states,

Everyone knows Oregon isn't a state. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
John Petrucci

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

Let the hate come.....I'm ready xyz. Very Happy

Hardly. Rolling Eyes

+1

Those are ridiculous choices, in my opinion.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Kirk Hammett

As for EVH, he can play his own stuff like no other...but throw him in a "jam" situation and he resorts to the same thing everytime...I watched Richie Sambora wipe the stage with him once on VH1...

Petrucci a one-tricker? Not hardly...
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Angus Young
Yeah, I went there, too! lol! All his stuff sounds about the same to me. He does it very well and I love to watch him play live, but it's still just one trick all the same. Eddie and Kirk play circles all around him!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:41 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
Angus Young
Yeah, I went there, too! lol! All his stuff sounds about the same to me. He does it very well and I love to watch him play live, but it's still just one trick all the same. Eddie and Kirk play circles all around him!

I prefer a heartfelt rockin' solo from Angus to a bland, wankfest from Eddie any day.

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

As for EVH, he can play his own stuff like no other...but throw him in a "jam" situation and he resorts to the same thing everytime...I watched Richie Sambora wipe the stage with him once on VH1...

Improvisation has never been Eddie's strong suit, he's very much a "written solo" player. But there are many guitarists that fall into that same category, it's not a knock against them, it's just their specific strength.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:55 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
Angus Young

Angus has more than one trick...but his other tricks suck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:57 pm

detuned wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Improvisation has never been Eddie's strong suit, he's very much a "written solo" player. But there are many guitarists that fall into that same category, it's not a knock against them, it's just their specific strength.

Agreed.

Ace Frehley is a one-trick pony.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Chris Oliva

put your guns away, i'm only kidding.

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:07 pm

detuned wrote:
Laughing very hard

More like laughing .

As for Kirk Hammett, I know Dave Mustaine thinks so. I've heard him quoted as saying, "Man, he sucks!" Not being a guitarist I don't know if I could criticize (sic) any of them too harshly except for maybe Kurt Cobain and the like (yes I know, he was know more for his songwriting but he is always included in great guitarists lists so he's fair game).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Laughing very hard
Schbopo wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:
Angus Young

Angus has more than one trick...but his other tricks suck.
OK, that's about right, IMO.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
detuned wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Agreed.

Ace Frehley is a one-trick pony.
Agreed, and a drunk one at that! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Zak Wylde lately, has relied on the harmonic squeal too much. He has more then one trick and I like him but dang, ease up on the hs.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:45 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
Kirk Hammet.....yes i went there!
Him and Petruchi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One trick pony guitarists.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next