Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One trick pony guitarists.

Go down 
+24
manny
akeldama
Ben Grimm
Mglaffas81
kmorg
powermacho
DallasBlack
mc666
7thSaviour
arttieTHE1manparty
Rex
metalinmyveins
plancha7
tohostudios
Getizzyback
metalhead777
Thrasher73
XYZ
SideShowDisaSter
Svengo
ultmetal
Stender
Schbopo
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:05 pm

I don't believe John Petrucci is a one trick pony at all. He is very diverse when he can switch from playing Metallica to some proggy Rush or Yes guitar jam.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:11 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I know this is off topic but do you think more players reflect Hendrix's style or EVH's? Both had decades to let their styles sink in so to speak.

In the 80's most definitly Eddie Van Halen, but when grunge came into vogue it more of Iommi vibe than any either VH or Hendrix, with the newer generation of metal guys, it seems to be Dimebag is most citied influence.

Manny, how do you feel about EVH's claim that he was more influenced by Clapton and Page than Hendrix?
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I don't believe John Petrucci is a one trick pony at all. He is very diverse when he can switch from playing Metallica to some proggy Rush or Yes guitar jam.

My gosh, I couldnt agree more and I cant believe what people are saying about him. John Petrucci is awesome, not in the traditional guitar sense that he can play a thousand notes per second but that he can play so many styles and textures; he plays guitar with a nod towards the art form that is music, not just shredding for rock's sake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Troublezone wrote:

No one said Page is a one trick pony either. I mentioned Page to say i think of him the same way i think of Hendrix, a great songwriter. He is a good player and very influential but a little sloppy in his playing compared to say Ritchie Blackmore or Uli Roth.

I give up. As soon as I hear someone say "sloppy" in regards to guitarists from the 60's or 70's I know it's a lost cause.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:28 pm

detuned wrote:

I give up. As soon as I hear someone say "sloppy" in regards to guitarists from the 60's or 70's I know it's a lost cause.

Troublezone=
One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Pwned_by_whale
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:40 pm

Wow, i was right about the sensitive minds here. I'm definately not the only one to say Page is a little sloppy and inconsistant. Just ask Jack Bruce from Cream...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Schbopo wrote:
detuned wrote:

Troublezone=
One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Pwned_by_whale

This is a A and B conversation so C your way out of it.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Quote :

Well just because i don't worship them doesn't mean i don't like them. I like plenty of players from the 70's and late 60's such as Iommi, Blackmore, Schenker and Uli Roth... as a matter of fact i love 70's metal.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 pm

detuned wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

No one said Page is a one trick pony either. I mentioned Page to say i think of him the same way i think of Hendrix, a great songwriter. He is a good player and very influential but a little sloppy in his playing compared to say Ritchie Blackmore or Uli Roth.

I agree with both of you in this situation. While I do find Jimmy Page to be a bit sloppy live, it was always welcome. No wants to hear live tracks that are exactly like the studio albums. Deviation from the studio track seemed to be the vibe back in the 60's and 70's. Of the Led Zeppelin live albums I have, Zeppelin always changed the songs slightly. Plant would switch verses in "Rock n Roll", and Page would go crazy on his guitar solo in "Black Dog."

You don't wanna go to a live show and feel you have to stay in certain limits. You wanna go there and have a good time. Who cares if you are a bit sloppy (not overly sloppy, mind you)? Everyone's having a good time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 pm

xyz wrote:
detuned wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I agree with both of you in this situation. While I do find Jimmy Page to be a bit sloppy live, it was always welcome. No wants to hear live tracks that are exactly like the studio albums. Deviation from the studio track seemed to be the vibe back in the 60's and 70's. Of the Led Zeppelin live albums I have, Zeppelin always changed the songs slightly. Plant would switch verses in "Rock n Roll", and Page would go crazy on his guitar solo in "Black Dog."

You don't wanna go to a live show and feel you have to stay in certain limits. You wanna go there and have a good time. Who cares if you are a bit sloppy (not overly sloppy, mind you)? Everyone's having a good time.

I never said he isn't talented but i guess my compliment of his being a great songwriter isn't enough for some. I have no problem when someone changes it up live but at least play it clean not a bunch of missed or sour notes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:

I never said he isn't talented but i guess my compliment of his being a great songwriter isn't enough for some. I have no problem when someone changes it up live but at least play it clean not a bunch of missed or sour notes.

Page is a brilliant songwriter, he is also a brilliant rhythm guitarist, innovator of melding alternate tunings & scales into heavy rock and his acoustic playing is gorgeous. As I said earlier, when you're judging a guitar player you can't pay attention to just the solos, it's the entire package.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:24 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I'm not arguing his significance or his place in metal history, but just being innovative dosnt make you the best when loads of players can copy your style that easily down the road.

Name a guitarist that can't be copied? Marino and Trower are almost better at doing Hendrix than Hendrix himself...

WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry

I think he was a good songwriter but overrated as player. don\'t know

Hendrix overrated? He totally changed the way people saw rock and roll guitar playing in the 60's. He was an innovator.

I'm not fan of The Beatles, but I don't say they are overrated because I know their historical significance and respect the spectrum of their influence. Same should be true of Jimi Hendrix.

In my opinion, Jimi Hendrix (this coming from a worshiper of King Edward) is the most important rock guitarist ever.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm

detuned wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Page is a brilliant songwriter, he is also a brilliant rhythm guitarist, innovator of melding alternate tunings & scales into heavy rock and his acoustic playing is gorgeous. As I said earlier, when you're judging a guitar player you can't pay attention to just the solos, it's the entire package.

My mistake... i was focusing on his lead abilities. I agree that he is very good at rhythm.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Quote :
In my opinion, Jimi Hendrix (this coming from a worshiper of King Edward) is the most important rock guitarist ever.

I can respect that opinion but i don't necessarily agree.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I can respect that opinion, but i don't necessarily agree.

The beauty of freewill.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I know this is off topic but do you think more players reflect Hendrix's style or EVH's? Both had decades to let their styles sink in so to speak.

In the 80's most definitly Eddie Van Halen, but when grunge came into vogue it more of Iommi vibe than any either VH or Hendrix, with the newer generation of metal guys, it seems to be Dimebag is most citied influence.

Manny, how do you feel about EVH's claim that he was more influenced by Clapton and Page than Hendrix?

Not bothered by this at all, Clapton with Cream, the Yardbirds and to a certain extent in Blind Faith was very innovative guitartist, and you can make the argument that Clapton helped pave the way for Hendrix. After all Hendrix and his manager Chas Chandler got the idea to make the Jimi Hendrix Experience a power trio because of Cream. In turn Clapton has also admited that he was also influenced by Hendrix's playing, in particular his blues songs such as 'Red House'.

Funny enough I really don't hear Clapton. Page or Hendrix 's style anywhere in evidence on any of Eddie Van Halen's recordings. But it is well known that Eddie Van Halen was a Clapton fanatic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:56 pm

There is more influence from people like Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin & Larry Coryell in EVH's lead guitar work.

As for Hendrix, he was playing and touring with Blues and R&B bands before he ever went over to London. The British cats were learning to play the blues from American records, Hendrix was learning to play the blues the old fashioned way...by learning from his peers. He took all those disparate styles (chicago style blues, jump blues, Ray Charles style R&B, Jazz and early funk players) and turned them COMPLETELY into his own thing. When he arrived in England he was fully formed.

As Manny mentioned earlier, Hendrix transformed everything about the way guitars were played in rock. He turned feedback into an artform, helped develop various effects, quickly learned the studio (with Eddie Kramer) and expanded on the "studio as musical instrument" thing that The Beatles started. He didn't just play the guitar, the man was channeling through the thing...he did for guitar what Charlie Parker & John Coltrane did for the saxophone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One trick pony guitarists.
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5