Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread

Go down 
+25
Svengo
MetalRob331
exact33
T-Roy
kmorg
AchrisK
Chairman_Smith
scottmitchell74
mc666
Schbopo
SuprimuS
metalken
DallasBlack
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
metalinmyveins
Thrasher73
MetalH
manny
TheGooch
thejokeriv
XYZ
sam
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
On a sort-of related note, the paper sez it's Robert Trujillo's 44th birthday today.

44 huh? I would've thought younger. Well, Happy b-day, Bob.

I finally got my copy from e-bay and I gotta admit I'm liking what I hear. My ear isn't as finely tuned as others, so the mixing issue doesn't bother me. It's leaps & bound better than St. Anger (and really, how could it not be?). My only criticism at this point is Unforgiven III. Was this really necessary? Eh, whatever. It's better than I expected it to be. $6 well spent.

unforgiven 3 is not a bad song but i will second the motion that it was not needed. its like the remake of a tout le monde on UA
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:59 pm

TheGooch wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
On a sort-of related note, the paper sez it's Robert Trujillo's 44th birthday today.

I finally got my copy from e-bay and I gotta admit I'm liking what I hear. My ear isn't as finely tuned as others, so the mixing issue doesn't bother me. It's leaps & bound better than St. Anger (and really, how could it not be?). My only criticism at this point is Unforgiven III. Was this really necessary? Eh, whatever. It's better than I expected it to be. $6 well spent.

unforgiven 3 is not a bad song but i will second the motion that it was not needed. its like the remake of a tout le monde on UA

Exactly. It's not that's it's a bad song, but just doesn't fit with the rest of the album.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 4:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Exactly. It's not that's it's a bad song, but just doesn't fit with the rest of the album.

Agreed - I feel like they really could have put a better song on the album. That song really belongs on Load or Reload
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 5:22 pm

I listened to it yesterday along with United Abominations. These albums are much closer in terms of me liking them then I orginal thought.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:05 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Agreed - I feel like they really could have put a better song on the album. That song really belongs on Load or Reload

i think they recorded 14 songsw for the album. i would love to hear the songs that did not make it to the final cut
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 10:10 pm

[quote="detuned"]It's one of the few threads with some actual conversations going on, so I won't complain about it's daily return from the dead.

In a related note: One of my friends back in Virginia mentioned that the Metallica "mastering debate" actually made the business section of the local newspaper in Virginia Beach. They were discussing the need for Metallica to release the "Guitar Hero Mix" to the public for sale on CD...then fans could choose the version they want. This debate seems to have ranged outside the normal venues.

If that happens, do I get to trade my distorted sounding copy in or do I have to buy it again?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 10:12 pm

TheGooch wrote:
MASTERED BY MUPPETS

End of session day, Rubin works away:
I'm your source of song-destruction
Tunes that hurt you ear, poor sound engineer
Leaving spikes on my instruction
Trust me you will see
Volumes all you need
Dedicated to
How I'll limit you

Compressing faster
Limit your Master
Your albums sell faster
With a loud Master
Master

Mastered by muppets, brickwalling your dreams
Clipping, distorting and smashing extremes
Ruined by me, you can't hear a thing
Just spiking snares, and auto-tuned screams
Mastered
Mastered
Rubins my name, and I'll hear you scream
Bastard
Bastard

Need to mix this way, never you dismay
Loud makes death magnetic clearer
Gain monopoly, ritual Waves L3
Squash your tracks til its severe
Gate and you will see
More and more dB
Dedicated to
How Im killing you

Compressing faster
Limit your Master
Your albums sell faster
With a loud Master
Master

Mastered by muppets, brickwalling your dreams
Clipping, distorting and smashing extremes
Ruined by me, you can't hear a thing
Just spiking snares, and auto-tuned screams
Mastered
Mastered
Rubins my name, and I'll hear you scream
Bastard
Bastard

Master, Master, where's the version I've been after?
Bearded, Bastard, you promised only lies
Blaster, Blaster, recorded on a ghetto blaster?
Laughter, laughter, laughing at those highs
Spike to me!

Lars aint worth all that natural kick and hats
Kirk adds wah without a reason
Never ending phrase, Jaymz goes on for days
Rob, your shirt is out of season
Ill record til 5 (then)
I will help you buy
Sandals that suit you
Now you look cool too

i did not make this up. its off blabber. i think its amusing

That is pretty darn good!!! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 am

oh yeah just got two seating tix to see metallica on the opening night of the european tour in febuary at nottingham arena. this will be the fourth time i have seen metallica and the second time in an arena setting
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 3:41 pm

I meet a trucker where I work the other day and we got to talking about the new metallica cd, he hangs out on the met club forums and said he was sick of people talking about the sound quality, I had to agree with him as it's not going to change and it's time for people to get past the quality and talk about the music.

It's almost as if people are dwelling on the quality as not to talk about the music. But anyway...

So, after listening too it several times it has really been growing on me, the only two songs I haven't been able to get into are suicide and redemption and day that never comes.

Last edited by sam on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 7:57 pm

It's been a few weeks now and this disc is still getting regular rotation in my cd player. I really like this album. I have hope for the future of this band now.

🤘
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 11:46 pm

its the most essential album of they year probably. cant wait for the uk tour next year its going to be awesome.

sure its not their best but it does sound fresh and energised
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:10 am

I resisted for as long as I could but dammit, I broke down and finally picked up DEATH MAGNETIC yesterday... giving it a first spin right now and it sounds pretty decent... thought it will take some more listens for it to truly sink in of course.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I resisted for as long as I could but dammit, I broke down and finally picked up DEATH MAGNETIC yesterday... giving it a first spin right now and it sounds pretty decent... thought it will take some more listens for it to truly sink in of course.

Sweet! I really, really like it!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I'm up to "All Nightmare Long" right now and so far, nobody is more surprised than me that I like what I hear. I was really gun shy about picking this one up after so many years of disappointments (especially the ST ANGER debacle) but I already like this better than anything I've heard from Camp Metallica since the Black Album, and I'm only halfway thru...

Pass the salt, it looks like I'm gonna have to eat some crow after all the sh*t I've talked about the band over the past coupla years...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:24 am

I also like " Death Magnetic" I feel it is their best album in 20 years, granted that might not be saying much ( Load, Reload, and St. Anger) but I thought it was good combo of a return to roots style with their more modern Load influences.

Of course I did not hate Load or St. Anger, but it was like others have said a nice return to form.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I'm up to "All Nightmare Long" right now and so far, nobody is more surprised than me that I like what I hear. I was really gun shy about picking this one up after so many years of disappointments (especially the ST ANGER debacle) but I already like this better than anything I've heard from Camp Metallica since the Black Album, and I'm only halfway thru...

Pass the salt, it looks like I'm gonna have to eat some crow after all the sh*t I've talked about the band over the past coupla years...

Same here, bro. I didn't want to like this album, but I do.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 10:31 am

FF - good deal, you'll keep liking it. I think the weakest song is Unforgiven III, it's a good song but doesn't really fit with the rest of the album. All Nightmare Long is a great tune. I really like Suicide & Redemption too.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 7:24 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Same here, bro. I didn't want to like this album, but I do.

I think most of us had this attitude going in only to end up liking it. When I heard the first track I had a big grin on my face. I wasn't expecting much (hell, I was already thinking about the best time to sell it back before I even purchased it) but I was happy to hear my first metal band really getting back to their roots.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 2:19 am

It's a great rebound for them, in my opinion. It'll be very interesting to see how they build on Death Magnetic.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread   The Official Metallica - Death Magnetic Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 5:52 pm

new video