Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst guitar tones on a metal album.

Go down 
+9
Mglaffas81
Temple of Blood
sam
powermacho
manny
DeathCult
MetalRob331
Troublezone
ultmetal
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Empty
PostSubject: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am

Listening to Annihilator's "Waking the Fury". I love the songwriting on this album and the vocals are some of Annihilator's best. (Shame that Joe Comeau didn't stick around). Anyhow, while Jeff's guitarwork is fantastic, the guitar tone is absolutely atrocious.

Any other albums where you think the guitar tone is terrible?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 am

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business...

Suicidal Tendencies - Join the Army
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:54 am

Most of Yngwies tones are pretty bad. His lead tone is great but the rhythm that comes from that Strat sounds bad to me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:59 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Most of Yngwies tones are pretty bad. His lead tone is great but the rhythm that comes from that Strat sounds bad to me.

Even Yngwie's tone isn't as bad as that fuzzy/buzzy tone on Waking the Fury.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:02 am

Most of the bad tones I can think of are probably from early 80's when production wasn't near as proficient as it is now. You could have a terrible tone and go into the studio and come out with an amazing tone.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 am

Troublezone wrote:

Worst guitar tones on a metal album. 991895
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:05 am

Maybe Mick Mar's tone on 'Shout at the Devil' but I think that garage like tone is part of their sound so I kind of like it, at least on 'Shout at the Devil'.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 am

the first Thin Lizzy Album
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am

Death magnetic, kirk's tone is absolutely horrid and Jame's isn't much better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am

powermacho wrote:
the first Thin Lizzy Album

I actually like Eric Bell, this is kind of surprising you don't like his tone on that album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

DeathCult wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

So you like guitar to sound paper thin?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:09 am

"Stained Class" by far!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:12 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
"Stained Class" by far!

C'mon that album is a classic and guitar tones on that don't sound that bad, that is one of fav Priest albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 am

St Anger's guitar tone sucks with the drums.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:21 am

Certain songs on the early Priest albums but mostly Britsh Steel - GAK, such great songs, but those guitar tones have no balls. Also, what is up with the tone on songs like "Exciter" ? Why no distortion?. It sounds tame to me.

Last edited by Mglaffas81 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 am

Troublezone wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I am just glad it sounds as good as it does considering most of the recording budget went to the drug cartel
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 am

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I am just glad it sounds as good as it does considering most of the recording budget went to the drug cartel

I have nothing against the songs it's just the paper thin guitar sound.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 am

Sacrament's (Testamony of Apocalypse) has a muddy, reverby sound with little definition.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:36 am

manny wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
"Stained Class" by far!

C'mon that album is a classic and guitar tones on that don't sound that bad, that is one of fav Priest albums.

I didn't like the tone on anything by them until Hell Bent For Leather.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:55 am

Troublezone wrote:
Sacrament's (Testamony of Apocalypse) has a muddy, reverby sound with little definition.

Good Example TZ.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:22 pm

manny wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
"Stained Class" by far!

I never said the album wasn't a classic but the guitar tone is some of the weakest ever.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:24 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Good Example TZ.

Yeah, and the playing sounds pretty cool at times which makes it even more frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 pm

I would have to say the first Recon album, but I could be wrong...
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:05 pm

I think a lot of people would agree that Enemies Of Reality's whole tone was pretty bad. Nevermore.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
manny wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
"Stained Class" by far!

I never said the album wasn't a classic but the guitar tone is some of the weakest ever.

You maybe correct about the guitar tone, but I love that album so much maybe my ears overlook it, but dude the guitar solo on 'Beyond the Realms of Death' is one of my favorite guitar solos and the tone on that tune IMHO is killer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst guitar tones on a metal album.   Worst guitar tones on a metal album. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst guitar tones on a metal album.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next