Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hawkwind fans?

Go down 
+9
SAHB Healer
exact33
Stender
Gilbert
TrogDawn
akeldama
manny
Troublezone
ultmetal
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
manny wrote:
Interesting that Michael Moorcock was involved with Hawkwind, he wrote some lyrics for later day Blue Oyster Cult albums such as 'Veterans of the Psychic Wars' and 'Black Blade ' to name two songs.
Yep, and the lyrics of both those songs you mentioned are based on his Elric character from his most well known series of sci-fi novels.

I am not big sci fi fan, I do enjoy them from time to time, so are their any of his books you would recommend?
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:48 pm

manny wrote:
I am not big sci fi fan, I do enjoy them from time to time, so are their any of his books you would recommend?
Yeah man, the first six books in the Elric saga are awesome, and it's more Sword & Sorcery than actual sci-fi if that helps at all. The problem is that it has been packaged and repackaged with different titles so many times that it is hard to follow sometimes and there are many short stories that have appeared in various publications outside of the initial ones, making it more confusing.

The titles I personally read when I began following this saga were:

I. Elric of Melnibone'
II. Sailor on the Seas of Fate
III. The Weird of the White Wolf
IV. The Vanishing Tower
V. The Bane of the Black Sword
VI. Stormbringer

And there are several that followed that weave in and out of the original time periods of the first books, but I'll let you find them if you get interested in them.

Apparently, there is a movie adaptation coming out sometime soon, so there is a brand new release of many of the Elric stories which have been packaged into three volumes (links included):

1. Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, Vol. 1)
2. Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, Vol. 2)
3. Elric: The Sleeping Sorceress (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, Vol. 3)

I have them all, but have yet to read them, so I'm not sure if they are another repackaging of the original stories as a compilation or if they are unreleased and new material as well. The above links probably explain what the contents are to some degree I would imagine.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Cool thanks for the info Trog I search out for these books this weekend.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 6:58 pm

some stuff I like that was inspired by/is close to hawkwind's style of space rock/krautrock is:

- Hidria spacefolk
- Kosmos
- Obskuria
- Farflung
- Dawn
- Ozric tentacles
- Quantum Fantay
- signal to noise ratio
- Electric Orange
- Grobschnitt
- ST Mikael

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:14 pm

I agree that Space Ritual is a good place to start. It has decently recorded versions of most of their early classics. It's the first one that I got. For the studio versions of some of the best of these songs Do Re Mi is a good bet.
Some time after Lemmy left, they split into two bands. One was built around Dave Brock and the other around Nik Turner. I saw Nik Turner with a bunch of original members and Helios Creed do the Space-ritual set. For pure entertainment that was the best concert I've ever seen.
Their discography is literally endless, with a whole lot of repitition. But I do recommend three especially from the late 70's. Quark Strangeness and Charm and PXR5 for punky quirkiness, and Levitation (featuring Ginger Baker) for spacy hard rock. There are some metallic moments on each of these discs.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Doremi Faso Latido has to my fave Hawkwind "Experience"........not sure i can add more to that.

Anyone into Hawkwind should definately check out the Pink Fairies who were Hawkwind's partners in crime......i love that band to death.

Also keep an eye out for a French band from the same time called Gong......who work in the same space rock as Hawkwind.......but seem to operate in another universe!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 am

Pink Fairies and Gong are both on my extended "to check out" list... cool
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:52 am

Gong are very very strange band, my friend is a huge fan personally I don't get it but to each their own, I have been meaning to check out Pink Fairies, they seem to have a cult following and are something of a critics darlings in some circles.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 am

Which albums by Hawkind would you guys recommand??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 10:09 am

Gilbert wrote:

Not too big on the Hawkwind. But, that dang 'Hall of the Mountain Grill' is the shiz. That's the title ya want right there. Almost all memorable tunes throughout. All nipples and knees, son. At first, I didn't get what they were goin on about with all their strangely mixed psychedelia. But, if you listen to these cats through a pair of nice $7.99 headphones, it all comes together nicely fer ya. There is certainly a method to their madness.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Gilbert wrote:
manny wrote:
akeldama wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
1970 Hawkwind
1971 In Search of Space
1972 Doremi Fasol Latido
1973 Space Ritual (live)
1974 Hall of the Mountain Grill
1975 Warrior on the Edge of Time
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 1:59 am

bump for Eyesore if he ever looks way down here.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
manny wrote:
akeldama wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
1970 Hawkwind
1971 In Search of Space
1972 Doremi Fasol Latido
1973 Space Ritual (live)
1974 Hall of the Mountain Grill
1975 Warrior on the Edge of Time

All of these are amazing albums
Back to top Go down
Lee Connors
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 5:56 pm

List of all Hawkwind Studio Albums
1. Hawkind 1970 feat Dave Brock, Huw Lloyd Langton, Nik Turner, Dikmik, John Harrison and Terry Ollis
2. In Search of Space 1971 feat Dave Brock, Nik Turner, Dikmik, Terry Ollis, Dave Anderson and Del Dettmar
3.Doremi Fasol Latido 1972 feat Dave Brock, Nik Turner, Dikmik, Del Dettmar, Lemmy and Simon King
4.Hall of the Mountain Grill 1974 feat Dave Brock, Nik Turner, Del Dettmar, Lemmy, Simon King and Simon House
5.Warrior on the Edge of Time 1975 feat Dave Brock, Nik Turner, Lemmy,Simon King,Simon House, Allan Powell & Michael Moorcock
6.Astounding Sounds Amazing Music 1976 Dave Brock,Nik Turner,Simon King,Simon House,Allan Powell, Paul Rudolph & Rob Calvert
7.Quark Strangeness and Charm 1977 Dave Brock,Simon King,Simon House,Rob Calvert and Adrian Shaw
8.PXR5 1979 feat Dave Brock, Simon King, Simon House and Robert Calvert
9.Levitation 1980 feat Dave Brock, Harvey Bainbridge, Tim Blake, Huw Lloyd Langton and Ginger Baker
10.Sonic Attack 1981 feat Dave Brock, Harvey Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd Langton, Michael Moorcock and Martin Griffin
11.Choose Your Masques 1982 feat Dave Brock, Harvey Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd Langton, Nik Turner
13.The Chronicle of The Black Sword 1985 Dave Brock, Harvey Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd Langton, Alan Davey, Danny Thompson
14.The Xenon Codex 1988 Dave Brock, Harvey Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd Langton, Alan Davey, Danny Thompson
15.Space Bandits 1990 Dave Brock, Harvey Bainbridge, Alan Davey, Richard Chadwick, Bridget Wishart Simon House
16.Electric Tepee 1992 Dave Brock, Alan Davey, Richard Chadwick
17.It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous 1994 Dave Brock, Alan Davey, Richard Chadwick
18.Alien 4 1995 Dave Brock, Alan Davey, Richard Chadwick, Ron Tree
19.Distant Horizons 1997 Dave Brock, Richard Chadwick, Ron Tree and Jerry Richards
20.Spacebrock 2001 Dave Brock, Richard Chadwick, Alan Davey, Martin Griffin
21.Take Me To Your Leader 2005 Dave Brock, Richard Chadwick, Alan Davey,Jason Stuart, Matthew Wright, Lene Lovich, Arthur Brown
22.Blood of the Earth 2010 Dave Brock, Richard Chadwick, Mr Dibs, Tim Blake and Niall Hone

Live Albums
1.Space Ritual 1973 feat Lemmy Bass, Dave Brock Guitar, Bob Calvert vocals, Nik Turner Sax, Simon King drums, Michael Moorcock readings
Dik Mik Generator, Del Dettmar Synths, Stacia Dancer
2.Live 79 1979 feat Dave Brock Guitar, Huw Lloyd Langton on Lead Guitar, Tim Blake Keyboards, Harvey Bainbridge Bass Simon King Drums
3.This is Hawkwind do not Panic 1984 Dave Brock Guitar, Harvey Bainbridge Bass, Ginger Baker Drums, Huw Lloyd Langton Lead Guitar
Steve Swindells Keyboards
4.Live Chronicles 1986 Dave Brock Guitar, Alan Davey Bass, Huw Lloyd Langton Lead Guitar, Michael Moorcock readings, Harvey Bainbridge keys,
Danny Thompson Drums
5.BBC Friday Rockshow live at Reading Festival 1986 same line -up as above but Lemmy guests for a brilliant version 10 min version of Silver
Machine with Dumpy Dunnell from Dumpys Rusty Nuts on guitar (Dunnells band DRN did a tribute track called Hawkwind)
6.Palace Springs 1991 featuring the only female vocalist Hawkwind ever had Bridget Wishart, Dave Brock, Alan Davey, Harvey Bainbridge
Simon House on Violin/Keyboards and Richard Chadwick on Drums
7.California Brainstorm 1991 same line up from above with Wishart on Lead Vocals although House did not play on this
8.The Business Trip 1994 down to a 3 piece with Brock on Lead Vocals on Guitar Keyboards, Davey Lead Vocals and Bass, Keyboards and
Chadwick on Drums
9.Love In Space 1996 Ron Tree on Vocals, with Brock, Davey and Chadwick
10.Yule Ritual 2000 special New Year show with loads of guests including Brock, Davey, Bainbridge, Tree, Moorcock, Keith Knyeton on Keys
11.Canterbury Fayre 2001 feat old members Lloyd Langton, House, joing Brock, Davey, Chadwick with guest Arthur Brown
12. Knights in Space 2007 Brock, Chadwick,Blake, Stuart, Dibs
I have all these albums accept for Choose Your Masques and Distant Horizons, Reccommend Doremi, Mountain Grill, Warrior, Levitation, Black Sword, Xenon, Electric Teepee, Leader, Blood on the Earth. Recommended Live Albums all off them in the list above, seen them live around 7-8 times and they still tour now, going to see them in London in December
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 3:01 pm

They're cool, some good songs.

But when I want Lemmy, I reach for Motorhead.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hawkwind fans?   Hawkwind fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hawkwind fans?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2