Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Empty
PostSubject: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:11 pm

I have a 15watt combo from Roland. The clean is okay, but when I practice with distortion is sucks, even if I put a BOSS metal zone distortion. It is very muddy and doesn't give me that crunch I want

It could be Half stacks combo, 1x12, 2x12, 100 watts. Less than 600 dolars

I could appreciate some help

These are some of the amps I have seen on the internet that look decent

Some 2x12 combo amps I found for less than 500 bucks

fender frontman 212r 2x12 350 BUCKS

Line 6 Spider III 120 60Wx2 2x10 400 BUCKS

Carvin SX300 3 CHANNEL 100 WATT COMBO AMP 350 Bucks

Some half stacks That I found for less than 700 bucks

Krank Rev Jr. Half Stack 700 bucks

Peavey Windsor 100W All Tube Half Stack 400 bucks

Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack 560 BUCKS

Crate FlexWave Series FW120HS 120W 4x12 Half Stack 500 Bucks
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:02 pm

I'd stay from the line 6, their sound isn't that great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:17 pm

I really like the tone the Randalls give out. I did play a Few Fender amps but aside from the technological advances I thought they were somewhat unmemorable.

I really like the Peavey Bandit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:23 pm

sam wrote:

I used to own a Line 6 combo, but after about 2 years it started developing power problems, got really noisy and then it would start switching tones randomly on it's own. Another friend of mine had the same model and his was doing similar things.

My next amp will be an Orange.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 5:24 pm

I currently have a Marshall combo which is great for classic rock and metal but if you want heavy crunch go for the Line 6 brand. Also the Crate Flexwave is very good for metal.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 5:29 pm

[quote]
I have a 15watt combo from Roland. The clean is okay, but when I practice with distortion is sucks, even if I put a BOSS metal zone distortion. It is very muddy and doesn't give me that crunch I want
[/quote

Roland is a keyboard company so i wouldn't of expected any different.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:07 pm

sam wrote:

Line 6 is my amp of choice followed by Mesa Boogie. Line 6 has amazing tone IMO and allows me to play so many different styles on one amp. The 400 different presets and over 1000 total tones is amazing. I have also owned Marshalls, Randall, Peavy, and Crate amps. It really depends on what style you want to play. For Metal or Rock i suggest Line 6 and Peavy. Randall amps are ok as well.

Im not a fan of Marshall as it has a more muddy tone.

Best thing to do is go to a guitar shop try a few out and see what best suits you. That is how I found my Line 6.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:42 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

Best thing to do is go to a guitar shop try a few out and see what best suits you. That is how I found my Line 6.

Would have to agree on both points, Marshall's also seem to be a bit tinny and cheap sounding in the treble. Definitely go and try out some to see what they sound like.

detuned wrote:
sam wrote:

I used to own a Line 6 combo, but after about 2 years it started developing power problems, got really noisy and then it would start switching tones randomly on it's own. Another friend of mine had the same model and his was doing similar things.

My next amp will be an Orange.

mine started shutting down randomly and would then refuse to turn on after 6 months of use.

My next will be an engl...just waiting on it to be shipped. angry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:20 pm

There are some great sound Randall tube amps out there these days.

Personally, I'm just sick to death of the sound of solid state amplifiers...tube amplifiers have so much more depth to the sound. Of course they are more expensive, but I think worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:05 pm

detuned wrote:

Personally, I'm just sick to death of the sound of solid state amplifiers...tube amplifiers have so much more depth to the sound. Of course they are more expensive, but I think worth every penny.

Yes tubes do sound better but seem to be way overpriced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:40 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
detuned wrote:

Yes tubes do sound better but seem to be way overpriced.

It's the vacuum tubes that make them expensive, but that's also what makes them sound the way they do. So, as with everything in life, ya gets what ya pays for.

Also - in sheer volume tube amps blow away solid state. A 30 watt tube amp is about as loud as a 100 watt solid state.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:43 pm

I was considering of getting a 2x12 since I rent an apartment and live on a 3rd floor, so I can't have a big Tube Amp, and I am not thinking of expending more than 600 bucks on a amp.

Is there a 2x12 that sounds very clear and almost the same as a Tube Amp? or an small tube amp like the Krank Junior but a bit cheaper?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:59 pm

I'd really recommend going out to some music shops (take your guitar with you) and test drive. That's the only way you're going to know whether it's the right amp for you. If you find one you like, then you can always check online and see what the best deal is.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 am

Detuned said it best explore. There are some amps that mix both SS and tube functions in one. Its like a hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:33 am

Quote :
Marshall's also seem to be a bit tinny and cheap sounding in the treble.

I have to disagree with that. Marshalls are known for their warm tone if anything.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 am

Quote :

That's why they are best for Doom metal. Cool
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:38 am

I'd say save your money and get the Peavey 5150.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:40 am

Peavy 5150 is a great amp but the price O MY!!
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 pm

detuned wrote:
I'd really recommend going out to some music shops (take your guitar with you) and test drive. That's the only way you're going to know whether it's the right amp for you. If you find one you like, then you can always check online and see what the best deal is.
That is what I will do, but I want to go to the shop and test some amps recomended by you guys, that way I could get a better amp. I will probably go to guitar center or sam ash
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Guitar Center doesn't carry Randall or Orange (bad guitar center)...but they do carry Marshall, Fender, Vox, Line 6, Peavey and various others.

Go to these websites and see if there are dealers in your area:

http://www.orangeamps.com/

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/

I would choose those over any of the amps that Guitar Center or Sam Ash carry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 pm

This is the same thing like advice on guitars. Everyone has an opinion. You have to go and play these amps to see if you like them. Like a lot of people rag on Behringer amps, but the one I have now is my favorite amp I have ever had and I've owned amps by Fender, Crate and Kustom in the past. It's all about what YOU like.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 pm

detuned wrote:
Guitar Center doesn't carry Randall or Orange (bad guitar center)...but they do carry Marshall, Fender, Vox, Line 6, Peavey and various others.

Go to these websites and see if there are dealers in your area:

http://www.orangeamps.com/

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/

I would choose those over any of the amps that Guitar Center or Sam Ash carry.

Thanks for the advice. 🤘 I looked on Orange site, and a store which is 30 blocks from home is supposed to be a dealer, I also read that Rudy's Music Shop also carries that brand. I will check these amps out.

Any specific amp from Orange and randall I should check out?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Just go see what they have in your price range, plug your guitar in and see what happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:34 pm

detuned wrote:
Just go see what they have in your price range, plug your guitar in and see what happens.

But make sure you can play OK first. There's nothing worse than that kid who can't play anything strumming a guitar aimlessly in a guitar shop. Mad
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:02 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
detuned wrote:

But make sure you can play OK first. There's nothing worse than that kid who can't play anything strumming a guitar aimlessly in a guitar shop. Mad

the only thing worse is the kid who drops his guitar tuning to drop h and play throwaway pantera riffs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"   recomend a decent  combo amp? maybe 2x12" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

recomend a decent combo amp? maybe 2x12"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: