Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question...

Go down 
+5
SideShowDisaSter
MetalGuy71
mc666
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:11 pm

What bands do you like but don't like the singer? The music is too good to stop listening.

For me Carcass is amazing but Jeff Walkers voice is a little grating.
Back to top Go down

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:12 pm

Vio-lence. Great music, absolutely unlistenable voice.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:17 pm

If I don't like the singing I can't listen to a band. Vocals make or break it for me. That's the reason I never got into death metal much. 99 times out of 100 the music sounds great but those WOOOOARRRRGH vox annoy the piss outta me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Megadeth (especially on the later albums)
Ultimatum (the vox finally stepped up on this last album to where i can enjoy them)
Metal Church (the David Wayne albums)
Exodus (Zetro era)

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:22 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Vio-lence. Great music, absolutely unlistenable voice.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:22 pm

Quote :
Ultimatum (the vox finally stepped up on this last album to where i can enjoy them)
Exodus (Zetro era)

I see a pattern.

Do you like UDO's voice, mc6?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm

mc666 wrote:
Megadeth (especially on the later albums)
Exodus (Zetro era)

I agree except with the Zetro one. I don't mind him for some reason... David Wayne can irritate but not all the time.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:28 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Exodus (Zetro era)

I see a pattern.

no, it's annoying. especially when he tries to sing softer material. add him to that list too.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:29 pm

mc666 wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Exodus (Zetro era)

I see a pattern.

no, it's annoying. especially when he tries to sing softer material. add him to that list too.

You don't care for Laaz Rockit's singer either.
Back to top Go down

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:30 pm

A-ha! I am going to add "dislikes raspy, nasally vocalists" to my "Secrets of Mc666" journal that I'm keeping. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
If I don't like the singing I can't listen to a band. Vocals make or break it for me. That's the reason I never got into death metal much. 99 times out of 100 the music sounds great but those WOOOOARRRRGH vox annoy the piss outta me.

I'm with Freddy on this one. I won't listen to a band if I don't like the singer, no matter how good the music might be. I just got rid of my copy of 3 Inches of Blood's Advance and Vanquish for that very reason. I really wanted to like those guys, but it was just nails on a chalk board for me when both vocalists kicked in.

As for Vio-Lence, I'm a newbie to these guys and the vocals don't bother me at all. He reminds me of someone else that I just can't put my finger on.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:36 pm

I can overlook some annoying singers like Brian Johnson from AC/DC, he used to give me a headache but i got used to him.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I just got rid of my copy of 3 Inches of Blood's Advance and Vanquish for that very reason. I really wanted to like those guys, but it was just nails on a chalk board for me when both vocalists kicked in.

Oooh yea, I got a promo copy of that album and it was a "one spin and gone" for me. What's the point of having two vocalists if both of them sound like cats being strangled?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I just got rid of my copy of 3 Inches of Blood's Advance and Vanquish for that very reason. I really wanted to like those guys, but it was just nails on a chalk board for me when both vocalists kicked in.

Oooh yea, I got a promo copy of that album and it was a "one spin and gone" for me. What's the point of having two vocalists if both of them sound like cats being strangled?

Funny thing is that one of them is going for that Halford Painkiller sound.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Yea, but he fails miserably!

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Yea, but he fails miserably!

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
As for Vio-Lence, I'm a newbie to these guys and the vocals don't bother me at all. He reminds me of someone else that I just can't put my finger on.

You mean to tell me Sean Killian actually reminds you of someone else?! fainting

I'd be interested to know who, because I've never heard anyone that sounds like him!! Laughing

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Gravedigger, I like the music but I can't stand the vocals, I am sure if I give it few more spins I might not mind it so much.

I like alot of death/black metal bands so most of time if I donot like the vocals I can still get into it if the music is good
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:13 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

You mean to tell me Sean Killian actually reminds you of someone else?! fainting

I'd be interested to know who, because I've never heard anyone that sounds like him!! Laughing

Maybe some surfer dude somewhere.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:15 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'll have to listen to the one cd I have and see if it comes to me again.
EDIT: I think he sounds like the singer on Laaz Rockit's Know Your Enemy.

The problem I had with 3IoB was both vocalists. I didn't mind the high-shreiks mixed with gutteral growls. I think a band like Into Eternity does that extememly well. 3IoB has 2 vocalists that are equally annoying to me.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:19 pm

manny wrote:
Gravedigger, I like the music but I can't stand the vocals, I am sure if I give it few more spins I might not mind it so much.

The Grave Digger guy started out gruff but tolerable, but he got worse with age. I didn't mind his vox on their first couple of records back in the '80s but he can barely carry a tune on what little I've heard of the recent stuff. The last thing I heard from G.D. was a cover of Dio's "We Rock" on a Dio tribute album and his "singing" was absolutely laughable. I haven't checked in with them since then.

... and now I fully expect to get b*tch slapped by Spec, who's currently rockin' a Grave Digger avatar... sorry, gotta call'em as I see'em.

Quote :
The problem I had with 3IoB was both vocalists. I didn't mind the high-shreiks mixed with gutteral growls. I think a band like Into Eternity does that extememly well. 3IoB has 2 vocalists that are equally annoying to me.

When I reviewed 3 Inches of Blood I believe I referred to the pair of vocalists as "one guy on high pitched shrieky monkey squeals and another on tough-guy BLURRRRRGH breakdowns," (or words to that effect) and went on to say "the combination works about as well as a slice of cheesecake topped with tuna fish." Laughing

Back to top Go down

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:30 pm

It really depends on the situation, some bands I can "tolerate" the vocalist because I love the music, but sometimes even the best music can't overcome a voice I don't like.

This seems to be more common with modern bands.

Baroness - absolutely terrible singer, but the music keeps me listening.
High On Fire - I initially didn't like Pike's voice, but he's slowly growing on me.
Mastodon - They're getting better, less growling and more singing, we'll see...
I Mother Earth - music is killer, the vocalist I just want to kill
Lee Dorian - I can handle him in small doses, but his whole goofy shtick really irritates after awhile.

on the other hand:

Phil Anselmo - Anything after Far Beyond Driven I just can't stomach.
Dave Mustaine is unlistenable on anything after Rust In Peace (and barely before)
Smashing Pumpkins - I'd rather get a root canal with a nail gun
Eddie Vedder - tolerable on Ten, has gotten worse with every album since.
Kory Clarke (with apologies to rattpoison and all other fans - the Trouble gig killed it for me)
The guy from Destruction (pap smear or whatever his name is)
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:35 pm

I don't know why but sometimes Doug Pinnick's singing gets on my nerves, especially when he does too many of those James Brown screams. I do like the majority of his singing though.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Quote :
Phil Anselmo - Anything after Far Beyond Driven I just can't stomach.

That's true but he's been getting more bluesy with Down the last two records.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

I don't mind Dave Mustaine's vocals, and Phil Anselmo I actually like his singing voice but I did grow tired of his constent screaming vocals.

detuned alot of people share your opinion of Eddie Vedder, but I have always liked his voice, sings with alot of passion.

Billy Corgan is a horrible vocalist but I do like the Smashing Pumpkins even if Corgan sings like sassy girl.

Kory Clarke never seen them live but on CD I like his angry f.u. vocal style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next