Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Axel Rudi Pell

Go down 
+5
Rex
kmorg
skullsmasher
MetalRob331
DallasBlack
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 pm

I know there are plenty of fans here but there has yet to be a topic on this awesome guitarist and his awesome band. Described as a less pretentious Yngwie, Pell features some great neo-classical metal. I first knew about him from Holy Dio but never looked for anything. I also remember him guesting on Rob Rock's Eyes Of Eternity (it was later that I found out Rob did vocals on the first ARP album). I started to get interested when I saw all the awesome album covers on http://www.truemetal.org/metalwallpaper/. When I first found NLTM, I discovered that Rob was a vocalist for Pell and that the music was something I'd like. I found Kings & Queens at Virgin Megastore (R.I.P.) and fell in love with it. Later I was fortunate to find the double Knights Live disc at a used CD store. Then recently I got the Rob Rock fronted album, Nasty Reputation and it is truely a masterpiece. The current ARP vocalist Johnny Gioeliis very good (live as well as in the studio) but let's face it Rob Rock is a hard act to top. I have yet to hear a Jeff Soto fronted album but they're on my wantlist. I also got the covers album Diamonds Unlocked but apart from In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins) and Won't Be Fooled Again (The Who-also the opening for CSI: Miami), I'm not familiar with the songs covered so it was a kind of a bust for me-but still enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:19 pm

I prefer the Soto albums as he is amazing. I like pretty much anything Pell though. Fool Fool is one of the best songs ever...
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm

I discovered this guy listening to XM radio channel the BoneYard a few years ago and was blown away. I have liked everything I've heard from this artist.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I prefer the Soto albums as he is amazing.

Which one do you suggest I start with?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Id go with Blood Moon Pyramid as it is really melodic with tons of hooks. Followed closely by "Magic" and "Between The Walls"
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:05 pm

I think the Gioelli (sp?) are the best ones. There are no bad Pell albums though, so you can't go wrong. I love the melody, the powerhouse vocals, and the great playing!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I have the new one (only one I've heard) and its awesome.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:36 am

I just got a gently used copy of his latest disc. I love Johnny G's vocals!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:01 pm

All the album covers look the same
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 6:41 am

EvyMetal wrote:
All the album covers look the same

Axel Rudi Pell Axel+Rudi+Pell+-+Wild+Obsession
Axel Rudi Pell Axel+Rudi+Pell+-+Eternal+Prisoner
Axel Rudi Pell Axel+Rudi+Pell+-+Black+Moon+Pyramid
Axel Rudi Pell Axel+Rudi+Pell+-+Diamonds+Unlocked

scratch

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Uhhh... I was talking solely about the purple albums.
Back to top Go down

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Not one bad album in the who discography of ARP, but I do think the "The Masquerade Ball" is one of the finest albums EVER release.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:30 am

I still have Nasty Reputation as a major hole in my collection.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:24 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I also got the covers album Diamonds Unlocked but apart from In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins) and Won't Be Fooled Again (The Who-also the opening for CSI: Miami), I'm not familiar with the songs covered so it was a kind of a bust for me-but still enjoyable.
I also have this album. It's the only thing I have from Pell. I think he did a good job. I've seen the newest one and thought about picking it up. I might have to really grab it next time.

P.S. You were unfamiliar with Love Gun?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Axel Rudi Pell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axel Rudi Pell   Axel Rudi Pell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Axel Rudi Pell
Page 1 of 1