Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...

Go down 
+8
akeldama
YngwieDokkenfan
XYZ
A Handful of Wayne
manny
Thrasher73
Troublezone
ultmetal
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Empty
PostSubject: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:04 pm

Started listening to "Duke", which prompted me to play "Abacab", which in turn had me spinning "...And Then There Were Three", "Wind & Wuthering", "A Trick of the Tail", "Selling England by the Pound" and today "Live" (1973).

Great band. I love most everything they recorded. I love everything up through Abacab. After that I still like their stuff but Phil Collins took the band into a pop direction. I like the 70's and early 80's material the best.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Never really cared for Genesis all that much but then again i never really heard their early stuff with Peter gabriel.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:26 pm

What,no Invisible Touch Ult?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 pm

I love Genesis , great band and the older I get the more I appreciate them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm kicking myself here, I'm a HUGE progressive rock fan but I've never owned any of the Peter Gabriel era albums...need to do something about that.

I used to own Abacab and the self-titled album that "Mama" came from.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:42 pm

When I was a kid I dimissed them due to their pop hits, one day I was at a friend's house and he played me 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' and have been a fan ever since.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:22 pm

I wasnt really a Genesis fan until last year. From hearing all the radio songs all these years and just wanting to hear more of what they are actually about because a lot of the bands I listen to were inspired by them. When the box sets came out I looked for them on amazon and found them at a really great price I think like $75 or something and since I got them I found out that there is a lot more too them that what we heard from them on the radio and they are great! I thought the more recent stuff would be a little too corney for my tastes but it all just kind of grew on me.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:33 pm

I recently went on a Genesis kick as well. I went From Genesis To Revelation to Abacab and absolutely loved every minute of it. "Watcher In The Sky" has one of the most amazing intros I've ever heard. The entire Foxtrot album is fantastic.

My favorite would have to be Selling England By The Pound. "I Know What I Like" is one of my favorite songs by them.
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 12:53 am

Those seventies and early eighties Genesis albums are all masterpieces. My favorite is "And Then There Were Three".

I didn't even know that Genesis had created these progressive rock masterpieces until the mid nineties. I was talking music with a neighbor who was in his thirties, and he mentioned how Genesis had started out as a progressive rock ensemble. I gave his copy of "Duke" a listen, and was blown away!! I became a fan of classic Genesis, and have been one ever since.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 10:50 am

Listening to "Seconds Out" today!

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Listening to "Seconds Out" today!

Great live album,Ult.

A Trick Of The Tail is my fave.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:05 pm

man ... dunno why i don't like them.i like this style of music but if it is Genesis ... i'm quit.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 am

My favorite is Abacab. I prefer poppy prog from the early 80's to a lot of the classic 70's stuff, that includes a lot of bands including Genesis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
My favorite is Abacab. I prefer poppy prog from the early 80's to a lot of the classic 70's stuff, that includes a lot of bands including Genesis.

Do you have the "Emerson, Lake & Powell" album from the early 80's? The one with Touch & Go on it? I actually like that album better than anything they did with Palmer.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:35 am

detuned wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

Do you have the "Emerson, Lake & Powell" album from the early 80's? The one with Touch & Go on it? I actually like that album better than anything they did with Palmer.

Yup, you get what I'm saying. I have a Greg Lake retrospective set, and disc one has all the ELP classics, and I like it and respect it well enough. But disc two has the melodic stuff from The Greg Lake Band (with Gary Moore), Emerson Lake & Powell, and the Black Moon CD. I like the second disc better and I guess that makes me cheesy. Cheese is good. 90125 is my favorite Yes album. I can't help it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 8:06 am

detuned wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

That would make two of us who prefer 'Emerson, Lake and Powell' over the rest of ELP discography, some of their music is ok but alot of it just bores the hell out of me.
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 11:58 pm

You mean you don't listen to "From the Beginning" four times a day, Manny? lol! I hear ya. I also like the Emerson, Lake and Powell album the best Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 3:21 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:

I like Abacab as well, but it was really the last CD to sound like that.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 3:22 pm

I am huge Genesis fan and I even like their Top 40/pop period after 'Abacab'.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:28 am

Genesis are great, what about phill colins solo career? I liked it.

I want to see them with my family, on my house everyone likes Genesis,trans Siberian orchestra, and Journey 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:13 pm

I like what I've heard and want to get more (Gabriel AND Collins era).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:00 am

powermacho wrote:
Genesis are great, what about phill colins solo career? I liked it.

I want to see them with my family, on my house everyone likes Genesis,trans Siberian orchestra, and Journey 🤘

Genesis tickets are extremely expensive these days. Thought about seeing them, in '07, but was stopped by the ticket prices starting at around $800.00.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...   Been on a GENESIS kick all week long... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been on a GENESIS kick all week long...
Page 1 of 1