Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fave Savatage Offshoot?

Go down 
+15
manny
jstate
thejokeriv
nevermore
James B.
A Handful of Wayne
Lurideath
GrandNational
Invader
mc666
Thrasher73
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Favorite Savatage off-shoot?
Doctor Butcher
Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_lcap13%Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 4 ]
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_lcap20%Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 6 ]
Circle II Circle
Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_lcap20%Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 6 ]
Jon Oliva's Pain
Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_lcap40%Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 12 ]
Other (please specify)
Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_lcap7%Fave Savatage Offshoot? Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Fave Savatage Offshoot? Empty
PostSubject: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:01 pm

So I've been listening to a lot of Savatage related stuff lately...Doctor Butcher, Jon Oliva's Pain, Circle II Circle, etcetera, etcetera, and I know there's a lot of Savatage fans round these parts, so what's yer favorite "side project" or offshoot band featuring members of Savatage?

Though I like all of the Sava-family tree bands to some extent, this is still my favorite:

Fave Savatage Offshoot? DoctorButcher_Original

I bought an import copy of this CD at a KISS Expo in 1995 (paid too much $$ for it too!) but it was well worth it IMO. Jon Oliva has said this was "the most fun" record he's ever made, and described it as a chance for him and Caffery to "blow out some brain cells and time travel back to 1983 for a little while." Some of this album borders on thrash and is still some of the heaviest stuff Jon O. has ever recorded as far as I'm concerned. Fave songs: "Reach Out and Torment Someone," "The Picture's Wild," and "I Hate, You Hate, We All Hate!" A real gem if you ain't familiar with it. Since this debut was released in 1994, it's since been reissued with a different cover and some bonus tracks. There's also a second CD (released by the band themselves and later by Crook'd Records) simply called "THE DEMOS" which contains early drafts of some of the tunes off the debut plus a couple of songs that didn't make it onto the record. The sound on that one is pretty rough but it's worth hearing just for the hilarious live rendition of "Chester the Molestor." Laughing very hard

I wish Jon and Chris would do another Doctor Butcher record!!

Release the hounds!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:12 pm

I voted for TSO as that is the only Savatage-related thing I own and enjoy. I had one of Chris Caffrey's solo discs for a spell, but sold it on ebay.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:13 pm

I voted for JO's Pain. It is the closest thing to the Savatage I love. Dr.Butcher is great too though. You should pick up the reissue with bonus tracks.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm

My vote went to JOP although I enjoy TSO around Christmas.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:19 pm

i prefer Chris Caffery's solo stuff. does that count?

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:20 pm

mc666 wrote:
i prefer Chris Caffery's solo stuff. does that count?

That would go under "other" I suppose. I should've added his solo stuff as a choice but by the time I realized it I'd already saved the poll and couldnt' figure out how to go back and edit it in (if there even is a way to do such a thing).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Jon Oliva's Pain. Hands down the best "new" band playing today.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Jon Oliva's Pain is my favorite from the ones I have heard, which is the only Savatage-related project with Doctor Butcher that I really like.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:50 pm

I went with with TSO.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Never heard any of them except Jon Oliiva's Pain. Is Doctor Butcher any good? I like the name.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Jon Olivas Pain! I finally came across that Doctor Butcher cd earlier last year in a used bin out of all places. It is a great cd!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Jon Olivas Pain! I finally came across that Doctor Butcher cd earlier last year in a used bin out of all places. It is a great cd!

Score, dude! When I bought it back in '95 it was a new release and I had to get an import copy from Germany. I think it cost me $35. Sad

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:22 pm

I voted for JO'sP

like the other choices, Carrefy solo too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Circle II Circle by a mile.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm only familiar with John Oliva's Pain,so that's what I went for
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Score, dude! When I bought it back in '95 it was a new release and I had to get an import copy from Germany. I think it cost me $35. Sad

I recognize the cover and I know I saw that Doctor Butcher cd in a used shop (that has since gone bye-bye) years ago. Had I known then, I would have picked it up. Sad

Man, if I had a nickel for every cd I passed over back in the days before the internet, I'd probably have enough money to build an extension on my house just to store all those extra cd's.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:25 pm

I went with JOP because it's closer to the Savatage sound. I do enjoy TSO alot as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Doctor Butcher. 🤘
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:10 pm

TSO - I'm not familiar with the others. I will need to check out JO'sP
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:42 pm

I'd go with Circle II Circle. With Chris Caffery's solo stuff a very close second.

That Doctor Butcher is one I'm always on the look out for.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:43 pm

I'd go with Circle II Circle, since I have not heard any of other Savatage related projects expect for Trans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:51 pm

I went for JOP, I like 'em all though, however Caffery's solo stuff has been hit and miss for me.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:49 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
My vote went to JOP although I enjoy TSO around Christmas.

+1 w/ props to original poster. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

wow that had to hurt. i think the only cd i ever paid that much for was Helloweens Chameleon cd even though I do like the album it wasnt worth the $35 but what choice did I have back then. Now you can buy it for around $15 and it has bonus tracks. go figure

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:42 pm

wow that had to hurt. i think the only cd i ever paid that much for was Helloweens Chameleon cd even though I do like the album it wasnt worth the $35 but what choice did I have back then. Now you can buy it for around $15 and it has bonus tracks. go figure

Yea, nowadays I'd never pay that much for a CD, but at that time, it wasn't a big deal ... I was still single and living with my parents so therefore I had plenty of extra $$ to piss away on import CDs. Laughing Sadly those days are long gone now!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fave Savatage Offshoot?   Fave Savatage Offshoot? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fave Savatage Offshoot?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next