Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re-recorded Material

Go down 
+20
steelers
sam
Fat Freddy
SideShowDisaSter
Leatherface
INVADERS
manny
MetalGuy71
Daybreaker
GrandNational
DeathCult
kmorg
Addy
A Handful of Wayne
Smindas
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
exact33
ultmetal
mc666
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Whether or not I dig re-recorded material really depends on the band for me too.

Someone mentioned Gamma Ray's BLAST FROM THE PAST earlier in this thread (I'm listening to that one right now) and I dig that one a lot. When it comes to Gamma Ray I prefer Kai's vocals over Ralf Scheepers. Also, back when I first bought BLAST FROM THE PAST as a new release, the only "old" Gamma Ray disc I had was their debut (HEADING FOR TOMORROW) so the re-records of the songs off SIGH NO MORE, INSANITY AND GENIUS and LAND OF THE FREE were the first time I'd heard any of those songs. If I heard the Scheepers-sung versions of those tunes now they probably wouldn't sound "right" to me, if that makes any sense.

As for Twisted Sister's STILL HUNGRY (which Spec started off this thread), I kinda liked it too, though I agree that the singles -- "I Wanna Rock," "We're Not Gonna Take It," and "The Price" -- didn't update very well. Though I think that's simply because we've all heard those three songs so many times over the years that any "new" versions are going to sound inferior. Sometimes a band can only capture lightning in a bottle once.

X-Sinner's FIRE IT UP (the re-recorded version of PEACE TREATY) is a fun listen but doesn't really improve upon the original in any way that I can hear. Rumor has it that all the band did was take the original tapes and jack up the volume on the guitar parts anyway, though that remains unconfirmed.

Iced Earth's DAYS OF PURGATORY is a decent enough listen but isn't a necessity by any means unless you're an anal-completist Iced Earth geek who's gotta have everything (which I was, until fairly recently anyway... heh heh).

Oh, and any time Paul Di'Anno re-records one of his Maiden-era tracks for yet another generic Iron Maiden tribute album, he just drags his name and rep through the mud a little further. Please stop, Paul. I'm beggin' ya.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:25 pm

steelers wrote:
How about Once Dead Visions of Hell? Oh wait, that has not been re-recorded yet. Here is hoping that one day it might be!

I heard a rumor the Once Dead album may be re-released in the future with additional songs and proper mastering. Can't tell you how legitimate this rumor is yet, but it did come from a reliable source. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I heard a rumor the Once Dead album may be re-released in the future with additional songs and proper mastering. Can't tell you how legitimate this rumor is yet, but it did come from a reliable source. Very Happy

....with a bonus disc of the audio from Return With A Vengeance??? greedy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:46 pm

ultmetal wrote:
steelers wrote:
How about Once Dead Visions of Hell? Oh wait, that has not been re-recorded yet. Here is hoping that one day it might be!

How soon is "in the future?" Sounds like Open Grave Records is taking lessons from the Roadrunner Records business model. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
steelers wrote:

How soon is "in the future?" Sounds like Open Grave Records is taking lessons from the Roadrunner Records business model. Laughing

I thought Open Grave was done?

Anyhow, like I said, this is just a rumor. I can't vouch for if it's true at all or not.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:38 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I thought Open Grave was done?

I dunno, are they? That is the label that released the Once Dead CD, right? They're done already? Wow, that was quick.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm listening to Running Wild - The First Years of Piracy now. First I thought this was just another best-of compilation album. But it turns out that it is re-recorded versions of songs from the bands first 3 albums. The earlier songs sounds better in upgraded versions, but the songs from 'Under Jolly Roger' actually sounds like they have worse production than the originals! It's a bit funny that Running Wild did this already in 1991.

Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:25 pm

ultmetal wrote:
INVADERS wrote:
First Strike Still Deadly is awesome with a modern productions.
The only re-recording i don't care for at all is Exodus's Let There Be Blood (re-recording of Bonded By Blood).

Why is that? I've heard nothing but good things about this one.

Actually, I've been listening to this release non-stop for about the last 3 - 4 weeks and can't get enough of it.
I think i initially didin't like it because the original has a feel and vide that just can't be replicated and i probably resented the new release for it, but now that i've actually given it a good listen, IT'S AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:44 pm

sam wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
INVADERS wrote:
The only re-recording i don't care for at all is Exodus's Let There Be Blood (re-recording of Bonded By Blood).

let there be blood is very good, good to here classic songs with the beefy production. rob doesn't do to bad a job.

I just heard Let There Be Blood for the 1st time and I gotta admit, it's not bad. I had no interest in getting this because of Duke's vocals (not a fan), but I found a copy for $2 so I thought I'd give it a shot. It will never compare to the original, but it's not as horrible as I thought it would be.

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 4:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
sam wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
INVADERS wrote:

let there be blood is very good, good to here classic songs with the beefy production. rob doesn't do to bad a job.

I just heard Let There Be Blood for the 1st time and I gotta admit, it's not bad. I had no interest in getting this because of Duke's vocals (not a fan), but I found a copy for $2 so I thought I'd give it a shot. It will never compare to the original, but it's not as horrible as I thought it would be.

It's a combo of the crunch sound from SHKM and Tempo, but the original riffage from old.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Just got "sins of the past" by Helstar

don't dig re-recorded stuff much but this is 🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-recorded Material
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3