Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re-recorded Material

Go down 
+20
steelers
sam
Fat Freddy
SideShowDisaSter
Leatherface
INVADERS
manny
MetalGuy71
Daybreaker
GrandNational
DeathCult
kmorg
Addy
A Handful of Wayne
Smindas
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
exact33
ultmetal
mc666
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 pm

mc666 wrote:
Iced Earth's Days Of Purgatory was cool in some respects. i enjoyed hearing Barlow redo the songs from the first album & the early demo tracks.
Good call. Forgot about this one. Definitely a great release, especially the 2CD version. My only gripe is that it's too bottom-heavy. Not sure what that's all about, but it sort of sucks.

Moonspell's Under Satanae is brilliant. They redid the Under The Moonspell EP, which was an odd duck to begin with, but gave it a makeover in the style of their last two albums. Just heavy as hell. No longer odd at all. And then they redid the tracks from their Anno Satanae demo (one of my most prized possessions) and their Morbid God EP, when they were known as Morbid God.

The end result: Absolute perfection. It's a brilliant album, if you ask me, and another example of how re-recording old material is not always a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 2:13 pm

This one is stretch here, but ZAO's re-recording of their 1996 debut album All Else Failed in 2003 was much better in the vocals department but the drums sucked.

And yes, First Strike Still Deadly kicks major ass. I listen to that more than any other Testament album.
Back to top Go down
Daybreaker
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 7:38 pm

I think it's cool that on the Iced Earth re-recordings, not everything was redone. I guess it's still showing respect to the people that laid down those parts all those years ago. Sorry Gene, peace out with your shrill ass yelps, but keeping Dave's bass or Randall's leads was kinda nice.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 7:30 am

But it just sounds very messy and not cohesive at all. Maybe it was a bit of a respect thing, but it just doesn't fully work. Also, I think Randall was still technically with the band at that point, so he could've re-recorded his leads. It's not a bad package at all, but I really think it could've been better.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 am

I'm not too familair with most of the bands mentioned, but of the ones I've heard, I like 'em. The Testament one is awesome, the Anthrax one is great, although I still have a soft spot in my heart for the originals and the Saxon one I like alot. However, with that one, I'm not real familair with the originals, so I can't compare.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 am

I am not huge fan of bands re-recording songs, and I just don't see the point really, I would prefer that they go in and record brand new material as opposed to re-recording or trying to improve what they have already done in the past.

I understand the temptation and I do like some of re-recordings that alot of these bands have done but I about 99% go back to the original recordings, despite the warts, imperfections and all, that is way I am used to hearing it and it is also hard to combat one's memories.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:50 am

First Strike Still Deadly is awesome with a modern productions.
The only re-recording i don't care for at all is Exodus's Let There Be Blood (re-recording of Bonded By Blood).
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:28 pm

I actually like the production of a lot of the records that where released back in the 80's or when ever. Those records have the "classic" production I just love so much. But, I can also see why people might want to re-record some of thier old stuff as well. It's all good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:09 am

INVADERS wrote:
The only re-recording i don't care for at all is Exodus's Let There Be Blood (re-recording of Bonded By Blood).

Why is that? I've heard nothing but good things about this one.

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:10 am

ult, what do you think about the Molly Hatchet re-recordings with Phil McCormack? I think they are just as good or better than some of the originals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:02 pm

*bump for ult*
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 pm

spectrefate wrote:
ult, what do you think about the Molly Hatchet re-recordings with Phil McCormack? I think they are just as good or better than some of the originals.

I agree. I think they are great!

I love the new line-up of Molly Hatchet. They have released some of the best Southern rock to be released in decades.

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Quote :
I love the new line-up of Molly Hatchet. They have released some of the best Southern rock to be released in decades.

Agreed. Bobby Ingraham is awesome. Plus I think Phil McCormack is just close enough to Danny Joe Brown. You're right. Everything they have released since '96 is gold, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Sodom - The Final Sign Of Evil

Their re-recording of In The Sign Of Evil with the added tracks there WERE to be released on that album, but were left off for one reason or another. Though the production isn't modern (still quite raw actually), it was much cleaner than that muddy soup sound from the original. The musicianship is much tighter now, as I thought the playing on the original was sloppy (poor timing between the riffs, drums beats, and vocal lines). They actually sound like a thrash band on it, as oppossed to a third-or-fourth-tier wannabe death metal band.

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Quote :

I don't know. The rawness of the recording gave the originals a certain "feel". I can't describe it. But I haven't heard the re-recordings. I didn't realize he did those.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:34 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Quote :

I don't know. The rawness of the recording gave the originals a certain "feel". I can't describe it. But I haven't heard the re-recordings. I didn't realize he did those.

Yah, Tom brought back the original line-up when he redid the album. Trust me, the production on the re-recording still can't be called anything BUT raw. I think he stayed pretty faithful to the "spirit" of the original, but made it so you can actually hear the individual parts that made up the whole this time but without giving it a modern production. If you had never heard the original recording, you would swear that this WAS the original recording from '84 and I believe that was Tom's idea all along.

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:37 pm

Sounds awesome, Sideshow. Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 am

Listening to Suicidal Tendencies this morning and remembered another one:
Suicidal Tendencies - Still Cyco After All These Years

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 10:01 am

ultmetal wrote:

...Which should be re-titled "Still A Contract Obligation Album After All These Years" Laughing

Seriously, I never understood the point of this album, it just didn't seem necessary, especially since the original self-titled album was still widely available at the time STILL CYCO...was released.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 am

ultmetal wrote:

I just listened to this CD a couple of days ago, great album but I prefer the original album over the re-recordings.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 11:44 am

ultmetal wrote:
INVADERS wrote:

let there be blood is very good, good to here classic songs with the beefy production. rob doesn't do to bad a job.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
steelers
Metal student
Metal student
steelers

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:10 pm

How about Once Dead Visions of Hell? Oh wait, that has not been re-recorded yet. Here is hoping that one day it might be!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:33 pm

manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I just listened to this CD a couple of days ago, great album but I prefer the original album over the re-recordings.
I think the original is one of the most overrated albums ever.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:55 pm

sam wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
INVADERS wrote:

let there be blood is very good, good to here classic songs with the beefy production. rob doesn't do to bad a job.

Yeah I like it better than the original.Although I dont have a problem with Dukes voice and I never liked Baloffs.
Back to top Go down
Moderus
Metal novice
Metal novice
Moderus

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Living Colour's Cult Of Personality. I like the re-recording more vocal-wise, but the guitar solo leaves much to be desired. The reason it was redone was because the master tracks were lost, and GHIII wanted it, so the band redid it.

Also, Meshuggah's Nothing was somewhat re-recorded, as the guitars are all different. The album was recorded using detuned 7-string guitars because their custom 8-string ones weren't ready. So when they were, they re-recorded the all the guitars with the 8 string ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-recorded Material   Re-recorded Material - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-recorded Material
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next