Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Disappointments 2008

Go down 
+24
Metalgiant
scottmitchell74
thejokeriv
the sentinel
Metal Misfit
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
candlemass
Troublezone
XYZ
nevermore
exact33
Temple of Blood
MetalRob331
mez
kmorg
Thrasher73
mc666
Lurideath
biddle
sam
ultmetal
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:31 am

Wow! A lot of hate for the Metallica. I thought that album was the best they have done in a very long time. So what if its not the next Master Of Puppets it definetly isnt St. Anger and thats all I asked for was just something listenable.

Some stinkers I got this year were....

Edguy- Tinnitus Sanctus- They almost completely dropped their power metal roots with this one. Something Im ok with with Avantasia but for edguy it just isnt working.

Alice Cooper- A Long Came A Spider- I wish Alice would find a real band that doesnt look like they are all from some whiney EMO band. They play that kind of style as well in a way that just doesnt fit Alice Cooper.

Guns N Roses- Chinese Democracy- Already knew this was going to be crap but I still bought it anyway. Its not total crap it does have some good songs on it but theres just too many slower songs and a lot of electronic things going on to actually be GNR.

Yngwie Malmsteen- Perpetual Flame- As usual a horrible production job. There is so much reverb on everything on this album I think the reverb has reverb. This guy needs to stop producing his own albums and let someone come in there and do everything. I cant believe ROY Z couldnt even make this sound better.

Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man- I just couldnt believe how boring this was and how much I missed ripper after hearing this. Please let the next one be better.

Into Eternity-The Incurable Tragedy- They were on a roll with making great albums this one even though its a very personal album for these guys just failed to deliver for some reason.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:42 am

nevermore wrote:

Children Of Bodom - Blooddrunk It seems they're getting worse with each new release.

agree with you on that, sad too because they were on quite a roll with the first 3
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 11:14 am

Another vote for Death Magnetic and Nostradamus. Also:

Haggard - Tales Of Ithiria (this trend of putting 20-30 second filler tracks of sound effects between songs on concept albums needs to STOP)

Tiamat - Amenethes (waaaay too much growling)

Falconer - Among Beggars And Thieves (lost most of the folk/Celtic influence)

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 11:48 am

Judas Priest-Nostradamus (good music but just too much and not what one expects from Priest-of course that was the whole point of the album)

Dragonforce-Ultra Beatdown (they tried too hard to be more varied than the last three albums-it worked with their debut, but they're trying too hard with this one)

The Showdown-Back Breaker (rediculous, turn away from metalcore and release an awesome mondern southern metal album only to go back to a metalcore-ish sound)

Soul Embraced-Dead Alive (not a bad album mind you but just not up to par with This Is My Blood)

Circle II Circle-Delusions Of Grandeur (I'm starting to really like this one and it might very well be in my top 20, but after Burden Of Truth, I'm just not feeling it as much)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 pm

So far, I've been pretty satisfied with most of my 2008 purchases. GnR, Metallica, Testament, Motorhead and Sebastian Bach have all garnered repeated spins from me.

Along with most others, I'd almost agree with Priest if it weren't for the fact that I didn't have high expectations for it in the 1st place. Also, I tapped out on Iced Earth after ...Something Wicked Part 1.

I guess I'd say Death Angel was the biggest disappointment for me. I thought the last album was good at the time, but it didn't have the staying power I thought it might.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Alice Cooper
Def Leppard (I always hold out hope they'll rock)

I'm sold on Priest's Nostradamus these days. I listened to it last month again and it was blowing me away. Definitely a grower.

sam wrote:
death magnetic

How'd I know this would make the list? Razz
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 5:45 pm

GnR Chinese Democracy, this is not the GnR I knew. I think it would have been better received going in with a new band name. It basically is, but holding on to the GnR name seems to be confusing to its roots.

The Cure - I know many people probably laugh that I like this band, but I loved them back in the day. This album is complete crap, unlike Chinese Democracy which I dont hate this album I definetely do.

The Sword - (Gods of the Earth) - I love the first album , but this album never clicked, not sure why.

Melvins - (Nude With Boots) - I realize these guys get experimentall but this starts off good and then just dies. It becomes way to far gone and I find myself forgetting there is even music on at times
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm

I am pretty satisfied w/ all of my 2008 purchases. The only ones that haven't gotten repeated spins after the week of release are Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles (just not catchy enough) and JP's - Nostradamus. I knew going in that I would like it and I do, but I said it then and I will say it now that it is just too long for me to play in the car or in the gym. Peace.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 9:37 am

Quote :
The Sword - (Gods of the Earth) - I love the first album , but this album never clicked, not sure why.

Interesting. I think I like the 2nd album better than their debut, and I like the debut very much.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 10:29 am

mez wrote:

The Cure - I know many people probably laugh that I like this band, but I loved them back in the day. This album is complete crap, unlike Chinese Democracy which I dont hate this album I definetely do.

Really? I love 4:13 dream. I would add that to my suprises of the year. I really like it!
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 5:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
mez wrote:

Really? I love 4:13 dream. I would add that to my suprises of the year. I really like it!

I know it has been getting some terrible reviews, but honestly, I try not to judge an album to quickly, so there is still a chance 4:13 Dream can reveal itself to me. Many bands I listen to usually take time to reveal what they was going for, bands like The Cure or Rush. However so far I have been left unimpressed by it, only time will tell. I will say I am glad your enjoying it, maybe I will join those ranks with time.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 5:24 pm

Quote :

Love this!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 6:29 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :

Love this!

same here, I thought it was classic, I even saw it in wal-mart! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Edguy- Tinnitus Sanctus- They almost completely dropped their power metal roots with this one. Something Im ok with with Avantasia but for edguy it just isnt working.

Haven't heard it yet myself, but this seems to be the general consensus among others. Check out Amazon, almost every review is under 3 stars.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:36 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Haven't heard it yet myself, but this seems to be the general consensus among others. Check out Amazon, almost every review is under 3 stars.

My copy just came today. This is the version with a bonus live disc from an LA show. I like the track list for the live disc.

We'll see how the new album is...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:23 pm

mez wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
mez wrote:

I know it has been getting some terrible reviews, but honestly, I try not to judge an album to quickly, so there is still a chance 4:13 Dream can reveal itself to me. Many bands I listen to usually take time to reveal what they was going for, bands like The Cure or Rush. However so far I have been left unimpressed by it, only time will tell. I will say I am glad your enjoying it, maybe I will join those ranks with time.

I had no idea it got terrible reviews. I lent it to a friend at work and he loved it too. I like the ST, but thought bloodflowers was just OK and the one before that (can;t even remember what it's called) was a disappointment. To give you an idea of my tastes, my favorite Cure CD is Wish
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Wow! A lot of hate for the Metallica. I thought that album was the best they have done in a very long time. So what if its not the next Master Of Puppets it definetly isnt St. Anger and thats all I asked for was just something listenable.

Agreed. Haters will be haters. I think it was their best since Justice.
Back to top Go down
Metalgiant
Metal novice
Metal novice
Metalgiant

Number of posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 5:38 am

SAINT - Crime Scene Earth (Yeah really sad, they have a huge potential but for the last two albums they could not really bring it on CD)
FIRES OF BABYLON (Rob is great but the songs are just o.k.)
JIMI JAMISON - Crossroad Moment (Not bad but also not the killer expected)
FAITH FACTOR - Against A Darkened Sky (Mix and Sound are really not that good and destroy the potenital of the album but also the songs are not really as good as I hoped.)
JACOBS DREAM - Dominion...(Yeah the sound makes the album nearly unlistenable.)
VIRGIN BLACK - Requiem - Fortissimo (A really good Album but not enough VB.)
MAD MAX - Here We Are (Could have been better.)
Back to top Go down
zelote
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:48 am

Once Dead Vision of Hell
The metalcore vocals dont work for me and the production could be better.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 7:57 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

My copy just came today. This is the version with a bonus live disc from an LA show. I like the track list for the live disc.

I'm liking the new Edguy so far.

I never really considered them power metal in the first place. More like heavy metal with some symphonic and prog leanings and for my money, Tinnitus Sanctus sticks to that formula.

I'm through 9 tracks of the new one and I'd say anyone who liked Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride would like this.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:03 pm

tohostudios wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I'm liking the new Edguy so far.

I never really considered them power metal in the first place. More like heavy metal with some symphonic and prog leanings and for my money, Tinnitus Sanctus sticks to that formula.

I'm through 9 tracks of the new one and I'd say anyone who liked Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride would like this.

I loved Hellfire Club so I might check this one out. I on the other hand always thought of them as power metal (even on Hellfire Club), go fig. Besides, many albums I love have been hated by long time fans so I would check this album out anyway.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:08 pm

It's follows the same style DB.

I'm not sure what PRD's definition of power metal is but for my money, this one is in the same vein as other recent Edguy albums. Personally, I wouldn't even consider their best album "Mandrake" "power metal" by my definition.

Anyone who's enjoyed the last several albums will enjoy the new one IMO.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
It's follows the same style DB.

I'm not sure what PRD's definition of power metal is but for my money, this one is in the same vein as other recent Edguy albums. Personally, I wouldn't even consider their best album "Mandrake" "power metal" by my definition.

Anyone who's enjoyed the last several albums will enjoy the new one IMO.

for me Edguy is Vain Glory Opera and Theater of salvation. Mandrake was ok too but not as good as those other 2. My recent theory with Edguy is to buy the Ep's. I loved lavatory love machine ep and Superheroes EP but hated the full lengths that those songs showed up on...

Alex

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Quote :
I never really considered them power metal in the first place.

I'd say they ride the fence. Their rip-roarers are as Powermetal as can be, but they write some great straight hard rock/heavy metal tunes, as well.

I have Theatre, Mandrake, and Hellfire Club. Like/love them all. Love all 3 Avantasia, and I like at least 3 of the songs off Superheroes (bought the songs as MP3's) so I'm confident I'll love the new one. Tobias has talent in truck loads.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 7:57 am

The "bonus" track on Tinnitus is real tripe. A silly country sounding song about being a pervert. Edguy always have at least one really dopey song on every album.

PostSubject: Re: Disappointments 2008   Disappointments 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disappointments 2008
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next