Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Archives - Why did they change?

Go down 
+11
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Leatherface
krokus
DeathCult
mc666
Gilbert
Stender
Jesusandmetal23
325ad
15 posters
AuthorMessage
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

Metal Archives - Why did they change? Empty
PostSubject: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Anyone know. I use to use Metal Archives all the time now I can not find anything on the site. Did they change owner or was it hacked or what? I sure miss the old format were you could see all the bands and the members and former members of the bands and the band they had played in. Now most of that content is void. This suck I miss the old Metal archives!! Boo Hoo for the once excellent Metal Resource minus Glam and Sleaze.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 pm

I like the new setup quite a bit. Easier to use.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 11:14 pm

I think they ran out of bandwidth or something. I like the old one better also.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:09 am

I like the older version more.

Besides, the various opinions of reviewers make it harder for me to make a decision.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 am

the new version works just fine. the search thing hasn't changed much, so i'm not sure why you can't find what you need. scratch

there are tabs there to see discography, members, reviews, similar artists, & related.

DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 am

mc666 wrote:
the new version works just fine. the search thing hasn't changed much, so i'm not sure why you can't find what you need. scratch

there are tabs there to see discography, members, reviews, similar artists, & related.

X2

Outside of having to open other tabs, I don't see a difference at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 am

I dont like it, before it was a lot better because all the ex band members were listed together with the bands they played in before. Now just a couple of band members are listed, if you are lucky and not all the bands they played in are next to their name.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:10 am

I perfer the old. That's just me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 am

krokus wrote:
I dont like it, before it was a lot better because all the ex band members were listed together with the bands they played in before. Now just a couple of band members are listed, if you are lucky and not all the bands they played in are next to their name.

They just haven't updated everything yet. The new format made it impossible to copy the line-ups directly from the old website, so they must update all the line-ups manually. That is going to take time. This time they will also add line-ups to the actual albums. It will be great when everything is up to speed.

Besides, there are links to the original band pages on every new band page also.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:07 am

kmorg wrote:
krokus wrote:

They just haven't updated everything yet. The new format made it impossible to copy the line-ups directly from the old website, so they must update all the line-ups manually. That is going to take time. This time they will also add line-ups to the actual albums. It will be great when everything is up to speed.

Besides, there are links to the original band pages on every new band page also.

Thanks for the info, i didnt know about this. Thanksssssss.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:24 am

The only time I ever use that site is when I'm doing reference for a Discography Thread here, so I don't mind the changes. The layout seems cleaner and easier to get around in.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:55 am

There is also this new site...sister-site to ProgArchives.com

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 11:34 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Thanks. Will take time to check this out.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 11:47 pm

kmorg wrote:

Serious, where is this found at?
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 am

They changed it for the worse,
it loads slower now,
-instead of having all the info on one page - you have to open multiple tabs,
-they have steadily deleted a lot of NWOBHM bands that were listed,
-there is controversy right now about MetalArchives revealing the real names & birth dates of band members who use aliases, which will cause them problems, such as identity theft, loss of employment, or if they are political (left wing/right wing) then physical violence or property damage (if they wanted to use their real names in their activities, they would have)
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 4:41 am

325ad wrote:
kmorg wrote:

At the bottom of most pages there is a link saying "V1 version of this page".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:33 am

kmorg wrote:
325ad wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I checked out 10 bands and not one had the linkg V1 VERSION OF THIS PAGE.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 12:06 pm

krokus wrote:
kmorg wrote:
325ad wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I checked out 10 bands and not one had the linkg V1 VERSION OF THIS PAGE.

Ah, looks like only moderators/contributors can see this. There was no links there when I was not logged in either. My mistake.

The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:23 pm

I like the new version, aside from a few things:

1. The artist thing they're doing that you all have mentioned above.
2. The increased point values for ranks (it annoys me that this change means it's going to take me even longer to reach Veteran).
3. It messed up quite a few links on the pages, which is very annoying. Many of them are fixed now, but still.

Overall, I'd say in a few months things will be better than ever, but for now we'll just have to bare through the process.

Also, if you know a lot about a band, then help out! Register and add on the info they need! Especially when it comes to lineups.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 pm

holydiver97595 wrote:

Also, if you know a lot about a band, then help out! Register and add on the info they need! Especially when it comes to lineups.

No thanks, and here is why -

Years ago ,
I tried adding info for a few bands and most was not accepted,
(or it would be deleted then reposted by others without any changes),
also when another member emails me for answers, or just copies my info off of other websites ,
even though they still do not have "proof of the release",
the information gets added ?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

The advertisements are so annoying on these sites.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Archives - Why did they change?   Metal Archives - Why did they change? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Archives - Why did they change?
Page 1 of 1