Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Lost Gem Thread

Go down 
+9
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
manny
SAHB Healer
mc666
akeldama
Stender
Hamer12
GrandNational
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:16 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Come on RP, back me up on Mott Very Happy

I will back you up, Ian Hunter one of the best British songwriters of his era, a huge influence on Def Leppard, both Alice Cooper and David Bowie are fans, as is Bruce Dickinson who covered their standard " All the Young Dudes"
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:17 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Look DeathCult i told ya before.....start a thread on Hunter/Mott and i will talk all day.....but i don't think Mott The Hoople are a "Lost Gem". Quite a well known popular band......you know a couple of years ago they were offered a 7 figure sum to reunite!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:18 pm

Stender wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Mott the hoople is good, wasnt that David Bowies first band?

No but David Bowie did help them by producing and writing " All The Young Dudes" singel.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:18 pm

rattpoison wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Look DeathCult i told ya before.....start a thread on Hunter/Mott and i will talk all day.....but i don't think Mott The Hoople are a "Lost Gem". Quite a well known popular band......you know a couple of years ago they were offered a 7 figure sum to reunite!

I just mentioned that somewhere else on here actually lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 pm

Stender wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

No, they decided to break up because they werent really going anywhere, Bowie wrote Dudes for them and produced the album, convincing them to come back and not the break up.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:25 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Stender wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

No, they decided to break up because they werent really going anywhere, Bowie wrote Dudes for them and produced the album, convincing them to come back and not the break up.

.....And thank god he did.....this also mean't Mick Ronson hooked up with them aswell which later evolved to the Hunter/Ronson partnership on Ian Hunter's great solo records.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:26 pm

rattpoison wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Stender wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

.....And thank god he did.....this also mean't Mick Ronson hooked up with them aswell which later evolved to the Hunter/Ronson partnership on Ian Hunter's great solo records.

Indeed, although, some of my favorite MTH songs are from the early albums
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 pm

DeathCult wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Stender wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Indeed, although, some of my favorite MTH songs are from the early albums

I'd go as far as calling Brain Capers their best record.....i'm going to stop now for hijacking this thread...you'e to blame too DC.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:38 pm

rattpoison wrote:
There's some great lost stuff in this thread....which is like this thread but a little more extensive on the details............

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/i-can-hear-music-f8/lost-bands-updated-the-scientists-t3743.htm?highlight=lost

I'll add one myself.....

Name: X

Album: At Home With You

The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Superd_7505570

Year: 1985

File Between: Motorhead and Gang Of Four!

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/xaustralia (Listen to 'The Feel')

Not bad RattPoison, I should have known you would not have been as obvious to choose the more famous X from Los Angeles, cool band and thanks for turning me on to Aussie's X
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Yes i love both X's equally.

A bit of background on them, they were formed by Ian Rilen who was the original bass player for Rose Tattoo and played on their classic '78 debut even writing Bad Boy For Love their most enduring (non) hit.

He left the band for the reason of Rose Tattoo being too 'soft' (which is kinda absurd), and wanted to play harder less traditional rock n' roll.

The first X record from '79 X-Aspirations is a seminal period classic....although i like At Home With You better.

Did you listen to the Cosmic Psychos.....cited as a big influence by various members of Mudhoney, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, L7.....even though their rock n' roll was like a Australian backwards hick car crash between the Stooges and Rose Tattoo with a bit of Motorhead, AC/DC and Ramones thrown in.

Last edited by rattpoison on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:15 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Yes i love both X's equally.

A bit of background on them, they were formed by Ian Rilen who was the original bass player for Rose Tattoo and played on their classic '78 debut even writing Bad Boy For Love their most enduring (non) hit.

He left the band for the reason of Rose Tattoo being too 'soft', and wanted to play harder less traditional rock n' roll.

The first X record from '79 X-Aspirations is a seminal period classic....although i like At Home With You better.

Did you listen to the Cosmic Psychos.....cited as a big influence by various members of Mudhoney, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, L7.....even though their rock n' roll was like a Australian backwards hick car crash between the Stooges and Rose Tattoo with a bit of Motorhead, AC/DC and Ramones thrown in.

Yes I did listen to them very cool, first time I heard of these guys, this is fast becoming my favorite thread but my wallet is worried it will have to go on life support.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
sam wrote:
Band: Grinder

Album: Dead End

Great German thrash from the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge992l8yyV8

🤘

They also put out two great albums under the band name "Capricorn" in the early 90's.

didn't know that, thanks for the info

another good one

Band: Wrathchild America

Album: 3-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGM2q__Osk
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm

didn't know that, thanks for the info

another good one

Band: Wrathchild America

Album: 3-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGM2q__Osk[/quote]

A great lost American Thrash metal LP
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:33 pm

Stender wrote:
Band: Burning Spear

Album: Resistance

Year: 1983

Burning spear AKA Winston Rodney is a reggae roots artist that formed in the mid seventies coming out of the same recording studio as Bob Marley...the legendary one studio, I think they are better then Bob Marley actually. Unique in the fact that a lot of his music ecspecially the 80's era had many synth and keyboard lines...pretty rad IMO for reggae roots music. 🤘

I have a Burning Spear Best Of somewhere in my collection, might have to take it out and give it a spin. I'll also been wanting to check out Wraithchild America for a long time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Look inside the CD booklet for 3-D and you'll see a note that says something like: "all songs written and arranged by Wrathchild America in Kenny's Garage, Martinsburg WV".

Kenny's Garage...was actually a nightclub called Slammers, but they were closed during the day so Wrathchild was practicing there prior to going into the studio. My best friend was dating Kenny's daughter at that point in time, in fact he lived in a trailer behind the nightclub. We both went and hung out in the club quite a few times during those rehearsal sessions...Wrathchild was having so much fun just PLAYING music and writing together. That joy is clearly audible on 3-D. A great band and a real loss that they didn't survive the grunge holocaust.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 1:19 am

rattpoison wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

I think "Drive On" and "Shouting And Pointing" might qualify. The latter is impossible for me to find on CD. But I like the Not Hoople era a lot myself.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 2:09 am

rattpoison wrote:
The Undertones are great.....depends what you call a lost gem though, Teenage Kicks is like praised as one of the greatest singles ever.

That's good to know. It eases my blank-stare fatigue a little.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 3:46 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Stender wrote:
Band: Burning Spear

Album: Resistance

Year: 1983

Burning spear AKA Winston Rodney is a reggae roots artist that formed in the mid seventies coming out of the same recording studio as Bob Marley...the legendary one studio, I think they are better then Bob Marley actually. Unique in the fact that a lot of his music ecspecially the 80's era had many synth and keyboard lines...pretty rad IMO for reggae roots music. 🤘

I have a Burning Spear Best Of somewhere in my collection, might have to take it out and give it a spin. I'll also been wanting to check out Wraithchild America for a long time.

Is it called the "Burning Spear expirience"? It has 2 discs of unreleased, rares, and hits, plus a dvd of a show in the states somewhere. thats a good compilation if you dont have it.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 4:29 pm

another great one

Band: Zoetrope

Album: Mind over splatter

couldn't find any samples but it's a great thrash/traditional metal disc
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 5:46 pm

sam wrote:
another great one

Band: Zoetrope

Album: Mind over splatter

couldn't find any samples but it's a great thrash/traditional metal disc

Streetmetal for life! 🤘

I actually found out about them through schogo...believe it or not. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 12:44 am

Time to reanimate a rad thread...

Band: Dread Zeppelin

Album: Re-leded: best of

Basically take Led Zeppelin add reggae then throw in a vocalist that sounds Elvis esque and you have Dread Zeppelin all slampacked with some great humor...awesome, awesome band in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
HamburgerBoy
Metal novice
Metal novice
HamburgerBoy

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 1:43 am

Band: Antagonist
Album: Antagonist
Year: 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVgjIgXywiQ

Aggressive technical speed/thrash, one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Gem Thread   The Lost Gem Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Lost Gem Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2