Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"

Go down 
+22
powermacho
Mordor
RevBilly6207
Svengo
Troublezone
skullsmasher
exact33
candlemass
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
thejokeriv
Tall Tyrion
the sentinel
Lurideath
manny
A Handful of Wayne
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
kmorg
akeldama
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Isn't this a post about queensryche? Just go back to the topic and stop arguing Mr Manson
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:20 am

Quote :
I completely agree with you, friend. But, that kinda thing should fly both ways, no? I feel like I was accosted for merely drawing a comparison, which definitely didn't seem as far fetched as it was being portrayed. But, I did over-react. As, I often do. I'm gunna calm down now.

Ok, cool. I don't think you were being accosted but you come across heavy handed and your fairly new here so try to listen (read) more and talk less. You know, get the feel for the place. You have opinions, great, give them but with an attitude of this is how I feel, not, this is what is. Some great people here but we're all different so there are some differences, just treat others with respect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:24 am

Marc Mason wrote:
Alright, that's enough of that. People can read backwards and weight the strength of both arguments if they choose. Now, onto the purpose of the thread, Ned.

I'm listening to this recording now for a fifth time, and it was only during this runthrough that I began to feel totally confident in my assertion that this is the second best Q album since Empire. Before I was saying it without full conviction. The album was already unfolding for me, but hadn't fully. Thing is, this title, like Mindcrime 2, are incredibly sophisticated recordings. I remember so many people dismissing O:M2 offhand, before they had let all the subtle intracacies of that album unfold and settle with them. Then, once it had, they came back saying that they liked the album much more than they had initially. I have a feeling that the same will be the case with this album. This isn't another simple collection of unrelated tunes. All of the songs are inter-related and dependent on one another for their coherence and cohesion. I'm listening to the song, 'Dead Man's Word's' and this track would never work on a collection of unrelated songs. The music and the lyrics are incredibly deep and go a long distance in conveying the crux of the storyline. By the seventh spin of this thing, the entire piece will have completely unpacked itself, and each segment will be readily accessible to me. At that time, I believe I'll care for this recording as much, or even more than Mindcrime 2. I think that when all is said and done, this album will be their best since Empire. And, by that time, most people who love one specific facet of this band, the important one, will be on board with me.
OM II, while having some great songs, was shallow as can be. There was no story there at all. The original Mindcrime, however, has everything a concept album needs. The follow-up was crap in terms of concept.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:46 am

Ok, that's all fine and good and all, but that post was really about the quality of the music on American Soldier, and how, like O:M2, it only reveals itself to the listener with repeat exposure. How it's not a collection of unrelated songs which, individually, can stand on their own, apart from whatever it is that comes before and after each selection. Some folks can only appreciate the type of album where every tune is formatted for a run on the radio. But, Queensryche fans, I'd like to think, are on a higher intellectual plane, and can appreciate a disc that runs like one long suite of music, with 10 or so individual movements within that larger piece. That's what I see when I look at American Soldier.

I hate to draw another parallel, but, in some ways it reminds of the last Judas Priest effort, Nostradamus. Some longtime fans thought that this one was absolute crapola. I think I felt that way at first too. But, it's another sleeper. Has to be given ample time to unfold. And, even when it does, the tracks only really make sense musically when taken as part of the whole. Just last week I listened to all of Disc One while food shopping, and thought to myself that, unlike all the other Priest efforts, people really need a nice chunk of time to get into this one. Both bands are now moving into the territory of an Ayreon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 am

Ayreon?

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Doh

Time for bed.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:18 am

Marc Mason wrote:
Ok, that's all fine and good and all, but that post was really about the quality of the music on American Soldier, and how, like O:M2, it only reveals itself to the listener with repeat exposure. How it's not a collection of unrelated songs which, individually, can stand on their own, apart from whatever it is that comes before and after each selection. Some folks can only appreciate the type of album where every tune is formatted for a run on the radio. But, Queensryche fans, I'd like to think, are on a higher intellectual plane, and can appreciate a disc that runs like one long suite of music, with 10 or so individual movements within that larger piece. That's what I see when I look at American Soldier.

I hate to draw another parallel, but, in some ways it reminds of the last Judas Priest effort, Nostradamus. Some longtime fans thought that this one was absolute crapola. I think I felt that way at first too. But, it's another sleeper. Has to be given ample time to unfold. And, even when it does, the tracks only really make sense musically when taken as part of the whole. Just last week I listened to all of Disc One while food shopping, and thought to myself that, unlike all the other Priest efforts, people really need a nice chunk of time to get into this one. Both bands are now moving into the territory of an Ayreon.

I can see where you are coming from Marc, for me personally I usually have to live with an album for awhile before I can give it a fair assement especially when it comes to a band like Queensryche. The comments on the quality the music that members of this board are making IMO are not hasty comments, some of postings about Queensryche come from long time and hard core Queensryche fans and I do tend to believe their opinions are just as valid as yours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Just shoot me now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 1:00 pm

I just listened to the new single, unfortunately it did absolutely nothing for me. Well produced but ultimately soulless.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 1:47 pm

detuned wrote:
I just listened to the new single, unfortunately it did absolutely nothing for me. Well produced but ultimately soulless.

I didn't expect much to begin with, but I concur with your feelings on this tune.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:01 pm

I stand by my "it's not as bad as it could be" statement, but will concede that a large chunk of it is just kinda "there"...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Why are people afraid to say "sucks"?
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:17 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

If this was the album to follow "Empire" or "Operation Mindcrime", I probably would be seething right now. There's been that separation of 19 years now between what "I" felt was the band's last great effort, and this upcoming album. I've just rolled with the punches, as it pertains to this band. I haven't invested much in the group in a long time. I never even listened to "Operation Mindcrime II", and that is due to the fact that I just hate it when bands try to follow up on an effort some two decades later (and their sound isn't anything like it was back in the day). Not to mention the fact that I didn't hear many good things regarding the follow up. I'm basically resigned to the fact that this band will be languishing in mediocrity for years to come. It's obvious that the band could care less to get back to any sound that would resemble the efforts of their first E.P, and the four albums that followed. That being said, it's obvious that my interest in the band will continue to fade...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:35 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

You're right, it sucks. There, I said it.

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 505193
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:35 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

I haven't heard the whole album yet. But the first single definitely sucks.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:58 pm

I just heard 'If I Were King' for the 1st time and while I didn't think it was all that bad, it's certainly a weak pick for the lead-off single. I didn't mind the soldier talking in it. If that's a running theme throughout the album, it might be pretty cool. However, if that song is any indication of the overall sound of the entire album, it's gonna be a bit of a snoozer. The first single should really jump out and grab you by the short & curlies, making you want to hear more.

I've pretty much lost interest in these guys since Empire and this one isn't changing that opinion. Too much other music out there that I'd rather spend my hard-earned sheckles on.

Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:01 pm

I don't have any problem with a band having a different sound than they did on some of my favorite albums. Heck, I don't even think a band should continue with the same formulaic sound year after year after year. That's what growth is all about. People change, their musical palate becomes slightly different it can be a good thing.

But what I don't care for is a band that continues on in mediocrity in comparison to what they are capable of. I think that in the case of Queensryche most here would agree with this and I think at some level the band knows this too. I know these guys are much older now but I can think of many bands who have been around much longer yet still manage to put out good stuff that still maintains a sense of drive that you can feel.

Maybe it's just inevitable as bands age, maybe it's just because I liked their earlier stuff so much. I don't know. Maybe they'll hopefully prove me wrong in the future.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm

I could really care less about this album

The Ryche came out strong with a kick @$$ EP
and it was downhill ever since.

The Warning had it's moments and Rage For Order even less so. Operation Mindcrime had one hell of a story, but it came across better onstage with the video backdrop to help tell it.
To this day, I can barely listen to it all the way through without being bored to death. Oh well !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 pm

I can't say it sucks until Marc gives me the ok.

FF-Some bands get better with age, like Saxon for example, but overall I think it's hard to maintain the fire as they get older.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:17 pm

James B. wrote:
I could really care less about this album

The Ryche came out strong with a kick @$$ EP
and it was downhill ever since.

The Warning had it's moments and Rage For Order even less so. Operation Mindcrime had one hell of a story, but it came across better onstage with the video backdrop to help tell it.
To this day, I can barely listen to it all the way through without being bored to death. Oh well !

Wow!!! I completely have an almost opposite view, the EP was cool but had a very strong Judas Priest influence in my opinion, 'The Warning' to me was a great album where they found their own sound and have liked every album since than, well ok 'Q2K' or whatever is called was not that great, but I have liked most of their material.

As far as the new single, it is ok, but it sounds like it should have been saved for Geoff Tate's next solo album instead of being released under the Queensryche logo.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:44 pm

I find it kind of difficult to review an album before it is even released. Doesn't it come out on the 31st of March that is still 5 days from now? The song If I were King, is not too bad in my opinion. So far that is all I have heard. They don't have the same fire they did 20 years ago but very few bands do. My favorite album so far is still their first EP but I have heard good stuff from all of their albums. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:39 pm

I don't mind if a band changes and evolves as long as it's good music - back to the Maiden comparision (and SSOSS and O:M are totally different albums - the only common thread is that they are both METAL concept albums, O:M seems to be fleshed out a bit better!) - the last three Maiden album ahve been FANTASTIC! Do they sound like the golden years stuff? No, but they are GREAT albums. Now, unfortunately Queensryche's last three albums have been OK listens. I will probably buy the new one and I hope it's really good, but Queensryche has tended to let me down since Geoff Tate took the reins after Chris Degarmo left. FYI - I hold both Degarmo and Tate responsible for the abysmal hear in the now frontier - I even listened to again last week and thought "blah", I tried to give it another chance since some of you on this board like it, I just couldn't get into it.

I'll give American Soldier a chance, but I'm guessing it will be an OK album, not a great one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Ayreon?

Time for bed.

LOL. Why can't ya see that a comparison might just be pinpointing one single variable amongst many? Do you know why I mentioned Ayreon? It's right there in front of ya, friend. I was drawing the parallel because Ayreon makes albums where the individual tracks do not hold up so very well on their own, but, as part of an ensemble, they work just fine. That's the only element I'm comparing to the new 'Ryche. Please tell me that you're really not that obtuse. I know you're not. You're just F'n with me, brah. But, I really can't believe that the longterm Q fans here aren't finding any quality with American Soldier. None? I actually want to hear only from those who have heard this recording six times straight through, or more. If you've heard it that many times and still think it's gar-bagio, then the prosecution rests.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

If this was the album to follow "Empire" or "Operation Mindcrime", I probably would be seething right now. There's been that separation of 19 years now between what "I" felt was the band's last great effort, and this upcoming album. I've just rolled with the punches, as it pertains to this band. I haven't invested much in the group in a long time. I never even listened to "Operation Mindcrime II", and that is due to the fact that I just hate it when bands try to follow up on an effort some two decades later (and their sound isn't anything like it was back in the day). Not to mention the fact that I didn't hear many good things regarding the follow up. I'm basically resigned to the fact that this band will be languishing in mediocrity for years to come. It's obvious that the band could care less to get back to any sound that would resemble the efforts of their first E.P, and the four albums that followed. That being said, it's obvious that my interest in the band will continue to fade...

Well, you should have given the recording a shot, even though close to two decades worth of time seperates the original and the sequel. What I was most impressed about with O:M2 was that the band and their producer was able to essentially capture 'the sound' of the original Mindcrime outing. Way before I was accepting of the actual material presented therein, myself, and a close friend of mine who has been down with the original release from day one, was blown back by how close O:M2 approximates the sound of the original recording. I doubt anyone here will deny that. But, ya never know. And, I've already spoken a few times on how good I feel that the seven tracks in between 4 and 10 on O:M2 really are.

I too gave up on this band a looong time ago. I basically wrote off Q after the Hear in the Now debacle. I couldn't believe that the band was sinking so low as trying to sound like someone else, be someone else. The three other guys I know who are fans never even made it to that album. Those guys gave up on Q during Promised Land. So, I never heard Q2K and Tribe when they first came out. It was only the strength of the core tracks on O:M2 that sent me back in time to check out Tribe. I guess that I'll eventually make it to Tribe as well.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm

I need to go study

where do I enroll in this pyschological musical theory class scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 6:08 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Ayreon?

Time for bed.

LOL. Why can't ya see that a comparison might just be pinpointing one single variable amongst many? Do you know why I mentioned Ayreon? It's right there in front of ya, friend. I was drawing the parallel because Ayreon makes albums where the individual tracks do not hold up so very well on their own, but, as part of an ensemble, they work just fine. That's the only element I'm comparing to the new 'Ryche. Please tell me that you're really not that obtuse. I know you're not. You're just F'n with me, brah. But, I really can't believe that the longterm Q fans here aren't finding any quality with American Soldier. None? I actually want to hear only from those who have heard this recording six times straight through, or more. If you've heard it that many times and still think it's gar-bagio, then the prosecution rests.
If you are pinpointing a single variable, why are you comparing it to a band's entire catalog? Do you honestly expect people to understand you if the very basis of your logic is entirely illogical? Stop trying to be the smartest person here. You're not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next