Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"

Go down 
+22
powermacho
Mordor
RevBilly6207
Svengo
Troublezone
skullsmasher
exact33
candlemass
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
thejokeriv
Tall Tyrion
the sentinel
Lurideath
manny
A Handful of Wayne
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
kmorg
akeldama
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 6:06 pm

DreamingNeonBlack wrote:
skullsmasher wrote:
DreamingNeonBlack wrote:
And, by the way, I am a hetero female, so no lady's bum for me.

OMG!!!! A female!!!

I think this may be a first

LOL. What? There are no other females on this board? Am I crashing the boys club? I was invited, but I'm not going to say by whom for fear you will pummel him with tomatoes for inviting an icky girl along to play.
There have been a few, but they always pull the fart in a tornado routine and disappear. My guess is that they can't stand all the PMs they get from the old perverts here, asking if they look anything like Samantha Fox or Lee Aaron.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Alright, heard what Q has brought back with them from the middle-east, yet again. "One more time around..is all I ask for now." In all fairness, this thing is lacking. Oh, fo' sho' fo' sho'. There aren't any memorable guitar hooks, or any significant guitar playing at all to mention. But, then again, Tate wrote the entire piece himself...under duress by the American govt. I do think he did a mighty fine job for a one-man gig. There aren't any quick and easy tracks you'd reach for to turn someone else onto this recording. It's pretty much a inseperable whole... a take-it-all or leave-it-all kinda endeavor. If that's the case, then I will take it, but probably listen to it only as much as Priest's Nostradamus. One can only imagine how this piece might have been elevated by the imput of Chris DeGarmo. Now it's time for some Death Magic Doom, courtesy of Candlemass. I'm hoping that this recording is in the same league as King of the Grey Islands. Because, then we're all in business, son.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 6:35 pm

I heard "If I were King" just now. :eyesore:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
Alright, heard what Q has brought back with them from the middle-east, yet again. "One more time around..is all I ask for now." In all fairness, this thing is lacking. Oh, fo' sho' fo' sho'. There aren't any memorable guitar hooks, or any significant guitar playing at all to mention. But, then again, Tate wrote the entire piece himself...under duress by the American govt. I do think he did a mighty fine job for a one-man gig. There aren't any quick and easy tracks you'd reach for to turn someone else onto this recording. It's pretty much a inseperable whole... a take-it-all or leave-it-all kinda endeavor. If that's the case, then I will take it, but probably listen to it only as much as Priest's Nostradamus. One can only imagine how this piece might have been elevated by the imput of Chris DeGarmo. Now it's time for some Death Magic Doom, courtesy of Candlemass. I'm hoping that this recording is in the same league as King of the Grey Islands. Because, then we're all in business, son.
Ugh. Now the album is lacking? First off, Tate didn't write the entire album himself. Secondly, I'd like to know what the running story is here, because despite what Tate says, this album is themed; it's not a concept album as far my ears can tell.

And just for the record DeGarmo has done nothing but alt-rock projects since leaving QR. Even when he did briefly return to co-write a few tune on Tribe, the results weren't anything spectactular. People need to bury DeGarmo, when it comes to QR. In fact, can Tate even write a complete song himself? He hasn't written a single QR song alone. Oh, wait...he did write "Convict," all 8 seconds of it. That's his one solo contribution to the QR catalog. His solo album doesn't even have songwriting credits, which screams ghost writers to me.

Just saying. Tate writes lyrics and plays the sax. That's it.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 6:56 pm

If you haven't heard the album yet it's streaming here:

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/queensryche/2397012/album.jhtml
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:35 pm

DreamingNeonBlack wrote:
skullsmasher wrote:
DreamingNeonBlack wrote:
And, by the way, I am a hetero female, so no lady's bum for me.

OMG!!!! A female!!!

I think this may be a first

LOL. What? There are no other females on this board? Am I crashing the boys club? I was invited, but I'm not going to say by whom for fear you will pummel him with tomatoes for inviting an icky girl along to play.
My sister often uses my account to read some posts and make some comments on this forum. But most of the girls on this forum are gone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm listening to Q's Tribe right now...and I didn't notice it the first time 'round, but this recording bears striking similarities to both U2's Achtung Baby and Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth.

It mimics the modal, harmonic patterns found on the former, and pays homage to the sweeping arpeggiated guitar flourishes found on the latter. Didn't catch those things the first time 'round.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
I'm listening to Q's Tribe right now...and I didn't notice it the first time 'round, but this recording bears striking similarities to both U2's Achtung Baby and Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth.

It mimics the modal, harmonic patterns found on the former, and pays homage to the sweeping arpeggiated guitar flourishes found on the latter. Didn't catch those things the first time 'round.
Shut up and die.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 am

Marc Mason wrote:

Get it all out now. You won't be here this time next week.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 am

Eyesore wrote:

Shut up and die.

Ouch...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 12:45 am

Schbopo wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Shut up and die.
Ouch...
lol!

It's tough love.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 10:15 am

DreamingNeonBlack wrote:

I'm just kidding,

Hope we don't chase you away, I always welcome a different perspective on things.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

Shut up and die.

Mark Mason has been more than a little over the top (and the mods have taken note of this), but I think comments like these are being a little bit excessive. I hope you're kidding...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 2:37 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

Shut up and die.
Mark Mason has been more than a little over the top (and the mods have taken note of this), but I think comments like these are being a little bit excessive. I hope you're kidding...
Of course I'm kidding! I would never seriously tell someone to shut up.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

Shut up and die.
Of course I'm kidding! I would never seriously tell someone to shut up.

I'm now having a flashback to a story that Bill Curry told while playing for the Packers in the 65/66 seasons. Lombardi was known for ripping into players at practice, and ripped into a player who I think remains nameless to this day. Lombardi called him a stupid bastard. Bill Curry said to coach Lombardi, "Don't you think that was a little harsh"?

Lombardi: "I apologize; he's not a bastard".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Eyesore, I commend your restraint because you've held out a long time. sign
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 6:14 pm

Alright, I want to be entirely serious now. Well, at least, I will give that idea a real shot at happening. I am now, at present, totally confident in my assertion that if the long-time Queensryche listener gives this album anywhere from a half dozen to dozen spins, in their entirety, they will feel the same as I do about this 2009 recording...and, that is...that this particular Q album is THE BAND's BEST effort since 1990's Empire.

And, that the only recording that truly really gives this one competition during that entire timeframe is Promised Land, with that one lacking the overall coherency and consistency evident throughout American Soldier. Put it this way, if you begun with absolutely no love for Judas Priest's Nostradamus, but stuck with that convoluted concept piece to the point where the tide actually turned and you began seeing the album for the brilliant work it is...then, it is very likely that the same will happen for you here, with American Soldier, as well. Just stick with it, with ample time seperating each spin. Pull out Nostradamus in the interim.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying it...but:

- I've been a major 'Ryche fan since 1986
- I've seen them live 3 times
- I've listened to the new CD about 7 or 8 times in its entirety
- IMO, it's still in the bottom half of their discography in terms of ranking...a few really good moments, but those are outweighed by the boring, stale moments
- Both Hear In The Now Frontier and (especially) Promised Land blow this album away, but it is certainly better than Tribe or Q2K...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:54 pm

Better than Tribe, q2k or hitnf, but I need to listen to it more to decides. For some reason, reminds me of promised land, but that is only off one listen - I need to give it a few more spins before I decide
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:04 pm

I just got done spinning it through for the 1st time and I like it. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:06 pm

I like it better than Mindcrime 2...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:18 am

Mindcrime had to grow on me so maybe with a few listens this will also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I'm glad you're enjoying it...but:

- I've been a major 'Ryche fan since 1986
- I've seen them live 3 times
- I've listened to the new CD about 7 or 8 times in its entirety
- IMO, it's still in the bottom half of their discography in terms of ranking...a few really good moments, but those are outweighed by the boring, stale moments
- Both Hear In The Now Frontier and (especially) Promised Land blow this album away, but it is certainly better than Tribe or Q2K...

I am totally perplexed by what you see in 'Hear in the Now'. Astounded, really. I am befuddled with bewilderment. lol. I might have to go back and re-examine that title since you afford it so many Q-points. It's been a decade without hearing that one...in the now. If I hear now what was 'in the now' back then, will I create some kind of time-continuum paradox, effectively branching together the then and now? I was just so turned off by the corny title and the attempt to make the band sound all modern and grungy. I remember liking sp00l though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 am

I don't think I want to get this album, as those I respect here have panned it. And let's be completely honest here. Queensryche has not been GREAT since Empire. I don't think one could put together enough good songs from their entire post-Empire catalog to come up with even one above average album. With that said, I am a total QR fan and I don't know why they didn't get in the RnR Hall o' Fame their first year of eligabilty!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 am

IMO, the last "great" album they did was Promised Land...that's a dark, weird album and I love it...the last "really good" album was HitNF...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"   Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier" - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queensryche gives new info on "American Soldier"
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next