Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

All things Metallica - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

James B. wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:
In my opinion Lars was the one who brought a certain type of energy and punk attitude to the band. Without him the band would've been a lot less energetic

If you mean "punk" as in not really knowing how to play your instrument then you'd be correct. Laughing very hard At least in their formative years.

Yeah, I mean it almost exactly like that. Just add "and not giving s*it" into that and there you go. Smile
Lars pounded those drums with an amazing enthusiasm without a need to show off how technically able he is (not that he would've been able to do that anyway). It was all about the energy.

Not being good to play the instruments is in no way a bad thing, especially when the style of music is heavily depending on the energy it brings. A musician can be technically very talented but still lack any kind of a soul or charisma.

Quote :

and of course there was "punk" elements to Metallica and every other thrash band in the early years. Thrash was a combination of punk, NWOBM, and traditional heavy metal stylings.

True. I didn't mean Metallica had some special punk-quality to their music when compared to others. In fact for example early Sodom was way more "punk" (not exactly meaning the music style but the attitude) than Metallica has ever been. I just said that it was Lars who brought the most of the "punk" attitude to the band.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Maybe it's because I'm in more of a Rock rather than Metal place right now but I decided to revisit 'Load', I hated this record when it came out but it really does have some fantastic songs on it and I enjoy the feel of the album. It still has quite a few filler tracks but it's not the terrible record that I remember.

ReLoad still sucks though!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm in more of a Rock rather than Metal place right now but I decided to revisit 'Load', I hated this record when it came out but it really does have some fantastic songs on it and I enjoy the feel of the album. It still has quite a few filler tracks but it's not the terrible record that I remember.

I kind of feel the same way about Load these days. I still think it's too long. Cut out about 3-4 songs and you got a pretty decent album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 pm

I think Load and Reload are great albums. Some tunes aren't amazing, but I don't think there are any truly bad songs. I've always enjoyed these two albums.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think Load and Reload are great albums. Some tunes aren't amazing, but I don't think there are any truly bad songs. I've always enjoyed these two albums.

Those two albums are quite good, however, they're like some food on the table that you'd likely to grab last (or the least palatable so to speak)

it's always the First 5 albums that define the Metallica sound
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:40 pm

compared to St. Anger, those are really good albums.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:40 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Those two albums are quite good, however, they're like some food on the table that you'd likely to grab last (or the least palatable so to speak)

it's always the First 5 albums that define the Metallica sound

For me, nothing touches the first three but I don't blame them for changing things up a bit, people get older and tastes change. Looking back on it Load was a brave album and it's pretty hilarious that people accused them of selling out for commercial success, they had just had more commercial success than any metal band in the history of metal and the safe thing to do would have been to release The Black Album II, but they didn't, they made the record that they wanted to make and I respect them for that.

It's by no means a perfect record, for me they could have lost the last few songs with no ill effects but it really has it's moments and was perhaps the last Metallica album to feature more than one or two great songs (Death Magnetic has some great moments but there's something missing)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 am

Load is okay I guess, I haven't owned a copy since 1997. I listened to it again a year or so ago and there are a few songs that aren't bad but nothing I ever need to own again. I also listened to Reload but that one was just as terrible as I remembered.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 am

I have always liked the " Load" album and at the time I was such a Metallica fanboy I bought its first week of release.

As far as "Reload" I have to agree with S.D. just not very good album.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 am

Boris2008 wrote:

I agree bout Reload but since Load has come out Ive been a fan of it I would seriously put it at my top 2 favs by Metallica (bear in mind im not a big fan of theirs as Im more of a megadeth kind of dude) but I love Load....

Reload was a collection of b-sides and unused stuff from the Load sessions so I can see why its nto very good. I remember buing Reload expecting Load II and all I got for my hard earned money was a cup coaster hehe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 am

I'm not sure how people can like Load and say Reload isn't very good. I don't get it. To me, both albums are pretty equal in quality and style. I would say, however, that Load is the better of the two, but only barely.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:31 am

manny wrote:
I have always liked the " Load" album and at the time I was such a Metallica fanboy I bought its first week of release.

It's not as good as Load but nonetheless, good...it's a 'left-over' album so what would you expect
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:43 am

...and I still don't get the "Black Album" hate, it's the most musically-diverse, beautifully crafted Metallica album ever....it easily tops as my ultimate "grower" album (in any genre) ever.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 am

Eyesore wrote:
I'm not sure how people can like Load and say Reload isn't very good. I don't get it. To me, both albums are pretty equal in quality and style. I would say, however, that Load is the better of the two, but only barely.

Equal in style, yes, since they were made at the same time, but " Load" the songs and they way they are sequenced are much better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 am

I like the Load and Re-Load albums better now than when they were new, but they're still not frequent spinners for me. I don't think they're bad, but they just don't sound like Metallica to me. When I want to hear something from those guys, I'll go to the first 4 albums everytime.

If it was any other band name on there, they'd probably rank higher in my mind. The sound and even the look of the band was too radical of a change for me. It wasn't what I wanted Metallica to be and it had negative effects on the whole listening experience. I've gotten over that part of it now, but they're still not frequent spinners.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:02 am

Geez, it just occurred to me that it's been seventeen years since Load was released .... and thirty years since Kill'Em All. Goddammit we're getting OLD!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Easy I believe the songs in Reload to be of sub par quality, theres a reason they were unused in Load
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
manny wrote:

It's not as good as Load but nonetheless, good...it's a 'left-over' album so what would you expect
It's not a leftover album, nor are they b-sides or songs left off Load because they were considered sub-par. It was supposed to be a double album but the band couldn't get it finished in time, so they split it into two separate releases over the course of a year or so.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
manny wrote:

It's not a leftover album, nor are they b-sides or songs left off Load because they were considered sub-par. It was supposed to be a double album but the band couldn't get it finished in time, so they split it into two separate releases over the course of a year or so.

It sounds like a leftover album. The songs just aren't there.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Whatever anybody calls them both, I can't get into it. Sounds like a group of musicians "trying" to believe that this is what they really want to do music wise. (yet it still sounds like them doing what others are telling them to do)

opinion

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 pm

What I cannot get is why people try so desperately to get into those Load and Re-load things... There is so much music out there worth discovering, a 1000 life-spans won't be enough to check it all... why waste time on such derivative products (and I specifically avoid using the word album here) conceived with the "expert help" of a special marketing team... I really don't get it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 am

stormspell wrote:
What I cannot get is why people try so desperately to get into those Load and Re-load things... There is so much music out there worth discovering, a 1000 life-spans won't be enough to check it all... why waste time on such derivative products (and I specifically avoid using the word album here) conceived with the "expert help" of a special marketing team... I really don't get it.

Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

James B. wrote:
Whatever anybody calls them both, I can't get into it. Sounds like a group of musicians "trying" to believe that this is what they really want to do music wise. (yet it still sounds like them doing what others are telling them to do)

opinion
See, I think Load and Reload are the complete opposite. Those albums were the band doing what they wanted to do. St. Anger and Death Magnetic, on the other hand, are albums that, to me, sound like a band doing things others were telling them to do. And to an extent, the black album can be put it that category, too.

But Load and Reload? I don't buy it. The albums aren't in a style that was popular at the time, so who were they trying to please? You can easily pinpoint the demographic and market the black album, St. Anger, and Death Magnetic were specifically aimed at. Was bluesy rock with slight metal overtones popular when Load and Reload came out?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:35 am

Eyesore wrote:
James B. wrote:

opinion
See, I think Load and Reload are the complete opposite. Those albums were the band doing what they wanted to do. St. Anger and Death Magnetic, on the other hand, are albums that, to me, sound like a band doing things others were telling them to do. And to an extent, the black album can be put it that category, too.

But Load and Reload? I don't buy it. The albums aren't in a style that was popular at the time, so who were they trying to please? You can easily pinpoint the demographic and market the black album, St. Anger, and Death Magnetic were specifically aimed at. Was bluesy rock with slight metal overtones popular when Load and Reload came out?

You touched base on how I feel everything has been since they stepped into the studio for the first time after Cliff Burton passed away. You make a valid point about "bluesy rock with metal overtones" being popular or not, but from where I sit the music was secondary to the other things that were constructed by a marketing firm. Metallica could of done "anything" after the success of the black album and it would of been succesful on some level or another. Which is pretty much what they did. I have a hard time buying it was what they really wanted to do music wise when the drastic image change came along with it. When ya start bringing in boatloads of cash like happened with the black album, there are ALOT of people who are not only gonna wanna dip into that gravy train but tell ya how to keep it comin in. Of course, there isn't anything thing wrong with success and making money. I just think it shows in the music that everything was contrived in a board room before any song was ever written.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 am

The thing I didn't like about the Load/Relaod albums is sorta what James was talking about. They were certainly no longer a thrash band and by that time, they were barely a heavy metal band. The music on Load/Reload had a hard rock feel with some groove to it. And since heavy metal wasn't popular at the time, Kirk seemed to play more reserved. No shredding solos. I missed that. The songs didn't have that frantic, fast-paced controlled mayhem that I liked in their earlier albums. The music didn't sound like the Metallica I knew.

And then the look. It wasn't that they just cut their hair. They hired "stylists" that told them how to look and dress. That irked me. And around that time, they toured with bands like Linkin Park and Deftones, which irked me as well. It seemed to me that they hit that successful plateau with the Black Album and then turned their backs away from the stuff that got them there.

I've since been able to seperate all that stuff from the music and listen to it for what it is and those albums aren't all that bad. And if some other unknown band at the time put them out, I'd probably like them more. But they just don't sound like Metallica albums to me.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 33 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 33 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next