Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

All things Metallica - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:43 pm

manny wrote:
BTW listening to the 'Beyond Magnetic' EP and these are great songs, maybe even better some of the tracks that made the final track listing on 'Death Magnetic'

Is that an ep of those songs they played live last month? 'Hate Train' and some others?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
BTW listening to the 'Beyond Magnetic' EP and these are great songs, maybe even better some of the tracks that made the final track listing on 'Death Magnetic'

Is that an ep of those songs they played live last month? 'Hate Train' and some others?

I believe so, yes...they were recorded during the Death Magnetic sessions...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Hmmmmmm, I didn't exactly go ape-poopy over the new-ish tunes, but it might be worth grabbing the ep if the price is right.

Wouldn't it be funny if the ep outsold LuLu? Razz

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Hmmmmmm, I didn't exactly go ape-poopy over the new-ish tunes, but it might be worth grabbing the ep if the price is right.

It will outsell Lulu...and Walmart has this EP for $5.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:57 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That won't be a stretch, this also happens to be one of Lou Reed's worst selling albums in his discography
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I have become so jaded regarding this band that it might be possible for them to record something good and I would miss it.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 5:49 pm

I just bought the "Beyond Magnetic" cd. Good price.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

It will outsell Lulu...and Walmart has this EP for $5.

Just to be clear, Walmart is selling a physical copy for $5? Not a download? I might go pick it up for that price. I had no plans on getting it, but 5 bucks seems like a reasonable enough price.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Yes $5 for a CD...

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Amazon also carries the CD for $5, there are used copies for around $3.

I think the song "Just A Bullet Away" should definitely have been on the album, in fact I think it's one of the best songs from those sessions. Excellent tune.

The other songs are "okay" but I can understand why they weren't chosen.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 pm

James B. wrote:
I have become so jaded regarding this band that it might be possible for them to record something good and I would miss it.

I feel the same way about 90% of the bands that came out in the 1980's. Just not interested AT ALL any more.

the few exceptions: Iron Maiden, King's X, Slayer. Metallica and Overkill to a certain degree.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Yes $5 for a CD...

ill have to go to wally world sometime...
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:25 am

exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Yes $5 for a CD...

ill have to go to wally world sometime...

Best Buy has it for $5 too. I ended up picking it up last night with the regular edition of Van Halen.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

There are people who liked St. Anger?

You wouldn't think so... but Metallica seem to have some diehard fans that will defend anything they do. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they worked with Lil Wayne (or another popular rapper) for a movie soundtrack. They're rich, bored and willing to do anything...

Ask and ye` shall receive:

Back to top Go down
Spyder Jonez
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 am

You know, Metallica is an interesting case to me. As a wee lad in the 1980's with older brothers into Metal I absolutely loved Metallica. In the 1990's I loved Metallica. In the 00's I got busy with other bands and Metallica was largely shelved after St. Anger. Although after hearing rave reviews on their "return to form" Death Magnetic I rushed out and bought it the day it was released.

It's been shelved since shortly afterwards.

About a week and a half ago I decided to dust off the whole catalog and listen to it. Along with my vast array of Metallica merch. I was figuring on the near decade long absence would at the least give me a nostalgia feeling, or bring back to the forefront my fanhood that while it waned a bit was still there.

Quite the opposite happened, actually.

I instead came to the realization that Metallica is actually pretty lazy and the second most overrated band in history, second only to The Beatles.

Don't get me wrong, Kill 'Em All? Ride The Lightening? Master of Puppets? All really good albums. Yeah i'm going there, going to the place I spent the 1990's and 00's defending against. It HAS been downhill ever since. And Justice is alright however I wouldn't personally classify it with the first three.

That leaves us with the last two decades. Metallica's foray into Arena Rock is okay, it certainly isn't horrible and has its moments but sadly that is the last inspired Metallica album.

Think i'm wrong? Let's continue up through the years. First there was Load, an attempt at Grunge/Rock, after Grunge had already hit and was starting to fade. Then there was ReLoad, AKA all the songs we couldn't fit on Load. After that was Garage Inc, their second covers album. Two cover albums in a decade. Next up was S&M which was of course them rerecording their songs with an orchestra.

The fun was in between that. First we get a cool song called "I Disappear"... Followed by Metallica collaborating on a rap song.... Then a Nu-Metal album as Nu-Metal was heading out the door and fading out. Of course there's that awesome Documentary where 4 millionaires can't figure out how to get along and have to hire a freaking therapist to discuss their feelings with them.

But let's move along to Death Magnetic. Decent? Sure, in a way. Although not as interesting as the fact that if you go onto youtube you can probably find the clips but basically Death Magnetic is simply the Presidio tapes and St. Anger B-Sides remixed and remastered.

Now we get some sh*t album where they collaborate with some irrelevant 70 year old and the Death Magnetic B-Sides(AKA St. Anger C-Sides).

I have to think they're laughing at people and I have pondered if this isn't some elaborate dare to see how far they can go with the putting out substandard discs before people stop paying them attention.

Now i'm not trying to bash on them that bad. I'm merely observing that good God, the way people go on about this band... The way *I* used to go on about this band you'd think they were pumping out all this killer material for the last 30 years instead of for the last 20 spending their time attempting to hop from trend to trend while pumping out filler in between.

If people enjoy it more power to them. Personally I found by the time I made it to St. Anger last week that I no longer care about these guys and as far as i'm concerned they are as irrelevant as Lou Reed. Those two really do deserve one another.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 am

I really enjoy the Beyond Magnetic EP. It's clearly a handful of songs that didn't get the full studio treatment, but it's quite enjoyable. Sounds more natural to my ears than much of what's on Death Magnetic, though some parts do have that "spliced in" feel.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 am

Beyond Magnetic sounds more natural to me than anything Megadeth have done in years.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 am

mc666 wrote:
Beyond Magnetic sounds more natural to me than anything Megadeth have done in years.

I agree. Lets hope they continue in that direction.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:35 am

mc666 wrote:
I agree. I've felt Megadeth has been trying too hard since Risk.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 6:23 am

Just a Bullet Away sounds great! I've abstained from listening to any of the new songs until the ep was released - Always great with some new Metallica.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 am

Quote :
I instead came to the realization that Metallica is actually pretty lazy and the second most overrated band in history, second only to The Beatles.

I stopped reading after this statement...sheesh.

How can anyone "overrate" decades of impact, influence and sustainability.

Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

It was in the part you supposedly didn't read: "good God, the way people go on about this band... The way *I* used to go on about this band you'd think they were pumping out all this killer material for the last 30 years instead of for the last 20 spending their time attempting to hop from trend to trend while pumping out filler in between."

While i'm sure that is somehow James Hetfield's fathers fault the point still stands.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Spyder Jonez wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

It was in the part you supposedly didn't read: "good God, the way people go on about this band... The way *I* used to go on about this band you'd think they were pumping out all this killer material for the last 30 years instead of for the last 20 spending their time attempting to hop from trend to trend while pumping out filler in between."

While i'm sure that is somehow James Hetfield's fathers fault the point still stands.

"Filler" and "trend hopping" being in the (clearly jaded) ear of the listener not withstanding, that doesn't negate the impact that Metallica's first 10 years have had and continue to have on Metal fans/Metal musicians.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Spyder Jonez wrote:
Now i'm not trying to bash on them that bad. I'm merely observing that good God, the way people go on about this band... The way *I* used to go on about this band

Used to? You just spent 14 paragraphs talking about them Smile
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Spyder Jonez wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

"Filler" and "trend hopping" being in the (clearly jaded) ear of the listener not withstanding, that doesn't negate the impact that Metallica's first 10 years have had and continue to have on Metal fans/Metal musicians.
And what trends were they hopping onto? Sure, the black album was clearly a shift toward the mainstream. Musically, though, it set the trend; it didn't copy anything. Load and Reload deviated from that so much, it again set the trend. They weren't copying anything with those albums. The St. Anger came along...and again, it wasn't following a trend at all. It's a crap album, of course, but it was no copy-cat, bandwagon-jumping album. Nor was Death Magnetic.

I don't get where people insist Metallica followed trends and sold out and all that. It doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next