Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof

Go down 
+3
MetalGuy71
Addy
manny
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Empty
PostSubject: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Pretty much anytime someone asks me who my favorite guitarists are, I usually mention Stephen Stills near the top of the list...and I always get the strangest looks. Regardless, he is a true original on guitar and one of the best songwriters of his generation. He had one helluva run from the late 60's to the late 70's, involved with many classic artists and bands.

I grew up hearing this music around the house, my Mother was a huge fan of CSN&Y and through her I started discovering all the other albums these guys were involved in.

Buffalo Springfield - Even though their career was short-lived there are few bands more influential than this one. The Eagles and any alt-country band on the planet owes their paychecks to this band. Both Stills and Neil Young recorded some of their most amazing songs for this band (Stills - For What It's Worth, Bluebird, Hung Upside Down, Everydays), (Young -Expecting To Fly, Broken Arrow). Recommended album: Buffalo Springfield Again (1967)

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Not even the Beatles could touch the harmonies these guys were able to create. Their debut album sounds like it dropped from another planet, a style of music that didn't exist before this album and has rarely been matched since. Using varied tunings, eastern modality and too many other advances to mention they crafted some of the most original folk/rock songs of all time: Suite:Judy Blue Eyes, Wooden Ships, Guinnevere, Long Time Gone, etc. Recommended albums: Crosby, Stills & Nash (1969), Daylight Again (1982).

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - The addition of Neil Young upped the ante even more, adding a darker edge to the music without ruining the already amazing rapport the band had going. Another short-lived group (a band with this many great songwriters can't co-exist for long) but they left some real masterpieces behind - Carry On, Woodstock, Deja Vu, 4+20, Helpless, Ohio. Recommended albums: Deja Vu (1970), 4 Way Street (1971).

I won't try to tackle the solo careers in this thread (and manny already started a Neil Young topic), but there is so much musical treasure to be discovered by these guys for the un-initiated.

Any other fans here?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Of course, the self titled debut album is a classic as is my favorite Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young album 'Deja Vu" which contains the classic hippie anthem " I Almost cut my Hair'. Great harmonies, excellent songwriting.

BTW Stephen Stills found an albums worth of material sitting on the valuts featuring the master of the Stratocaster Jimi Hendrix. Stills wants to release, I hope no legal mumbo jumbo holds it up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 11:27 pm

manny wrote:
Of course, the self titled debut album is a classic as is my favorite Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young album 'Deja Vu" which contains the classic hippie anthem " I Almost cut my Hair'. Great harmonies, excellent songwriting.

BTW Stephen Stills found an albums worth of material sitting on the valuts featuring the master of the Stratocaster Jimi Hendrix. Stills wants to release, I hope no legal mumbo jumbo holds it up.

Interesting! Hendrix plays on the first Stills solo album, so I'm guessing it's from the same session.

Another Stills tidbit, he plays guitar on the first Bill Withers album which was produced by Booker T.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 9:43 am

I really like what I have heard (Greatest Hits). Wooden Ships is a personal favorite, but I like the Jefferson Airplane version better.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 am

The only Neal Young song i really dig is Rockin in the Free World
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 am

I just started getting into Neil Young and some of his back-catalog years ago, then all of the sudden, when Pearl Jam started sucking his nuts in every interview, it turned me off. Childish, I know, but I have a deep seated hated of Eddie Vedder. If he thinks it's good, I'm against it.

As for CSN, they were/are good at what they do, but it never really appealed to me. Too "hippy-ish" for my tastes.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Very, very talented group of musicians. Unfortunately, I only have a greatest hits compilation right now. So many cd's and so little money. Sad
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 2:48 pm

I like CSNY but I have to be in the mood for them as they are so mellow much of the time.

We actually studies CSNY in music class in 6th grade; first as an example of harmony vocals and later to try and interpret Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 2:51 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I like CSNY but I have to be in the mood for them as they are so mellow much of the time.

We actually studies CSNY in music class in 6th grade; first as an example of harmony vocals and later to try and interpret Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

My girl and I were in Chili's Bar and Grill late Saturday night for dessert and they were playing Suite Judy Blue Eyes on the satellite station. Funny. Toho, did you ever figure out the meaning?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 2:52 pm

If I did, I sure don't remember it. I'm sure David Crosby could give us some drug-induced explanation though.

SJBE is still my favorite CSNY song though.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 3:27 pm

My Father has always been a fan of "Suite Judy Blues Eyes", so I've always had an interest of the band. I tend to like Neil Young's solo stuff a little more, but I consider myself just a casual fan.

I've always been happy that Neil Young allowed one of his backup singers at the time Nicolette larson to record the song "Lotta Love". It proved to be a huge hit for her, and it's one of my favorite pop songs of all time. Sadly, Nicolette died at a fairly young age (a little more than a decade ago) from a cerebral adema. She left behind a young girl and her husband Russ Kunkel. Russ has a very impressive resume as a session drummer. He also has the distinction of playing one of the drummers in "This Is Spinal Tap". He played albeit briefly, Eric "Joe Stumpy" Childs. He was the drummer that died from choking on someone else's vomit. But remember, "You can't really dust for someone else's vomit".
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 1:27 pm

His Manasass stuff is really good as well!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof   Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or any combination thereof
Page 1 of 1