Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Empty
PostSubject: Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch   Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Heading out to the show, will posts thoughts later...if I'm sober enough.

Wish some of you cats lived in Austin.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch   Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:42 am

Have a great time, man

Review shall be expected by he who shalt attend the show Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch 505193
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch   Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm

Review:

The Venue: Stubb's (outdoor show) - capacity 2300, according to one of the bartenders they oversold by about 300 at the door, so that put the crowd at around 2600.

Graveyard - What a difference a month makes. I'm not sure if it was the size of the crowd or what, but they were much improved at this gig than they were at the Witchcraft show. These guys show guts and the desire to do whatever they feel like...so they weren't afraid to start their set with a new song...and that song was a very mellow slow blues (with a few heavy sections). Most groups couldn't pull this off without losing the crowd, but they were so convincing they had the crowd in their pocket by the end of this song. Next up was the song The Thin Line from their debut album, they have completely changed the arrangement on this one and it ended up being about a 9 minute jam tune. That was the norm for all their songs actually, they have all gone through significant arrangment overhauls since the album was released...they've even changed since the last time I saw them. Graveyard are an improvisational band, I doubt they play any song the same from night to night. I have no complaints with their set, I just with they would add a B3 player to their lineup...it would fit perfectly.

The Sword - Since they are a local act a large majority of the crowd came to see them (I think one out of every 5 people were wearing Sword t-shirts). The first song of their set was plagued by some sound issues, but once they got the mix corrected it was all smooth sailing from there. In fact I can't remember seeing a band this tight and focused for a very long time. Some observations: They are MUCH heavier live, they have one of the best rock rhythm sections I've heard in years and they just flat out raged from beginning to end. They got a long set (almost co-headline length) and played the majority of their two albums. They also threw in a crushingly heavy cover of Kiss' Parasite for good measure. All in all they were flawless and the crowd was psycho...despite all the "no moshing" signs around the venue a pit started almost immediately and continued despite continued efforts by security to get it under control...they were severly outnumbered. Prior to seeing them play live I thought their albums were "good" but not great...but after seeing them last night I'm a FAN. There is no earthly reason this group shouldn't become huge...the opening slot on the Metallica tour should help their exposure.

Clutch - I'm a little ashamed to mention that this was my first real exposure to Clutch as I've never seen them before and don't own any of their albums (yet). Sometimes it's good to see a band like that though, because it throws all pre-conceived notions out the door. I was surprised to find out that they are basically a heavy jam-band. Boogie guitar riffs played over funk rhythm grooves...a combination that definitely works. Their lead guitarist was really on fire last night, he pulled out all the Hendrix/Trower tones in his arsenal...Kirk Hammett should take wah pedal lessons from this guy. The vocalist is charasmatic as hell and has attitude to spare. I could picture him and Henry Rollins hanging out together...

Final thoughts:

1) Three very different bands (a psychedelic blues/rock band, a metal band and a groove/jam band) but a marvelous combination because the show never got boring.

2) All three groups have AMAZING drummers.

3) The Sword were probably the most impressive all around but there wasn't a single wasted moment last night. One of the best shows I've seen in a very long time.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch   Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 9:12 pm

I've seen Clutch a few times, never been dissapointed. I am a Clutch fanboy though.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch   Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Good review.

Glad to hear about The Sword live. I love their latest and would love to see them.

I stumbled upon Clutch in the mid-90's with their S/T.....they are a very unique band, for sure.

Sounds like a good night!
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch   Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 6:50 pm

damn thats a killer Line-up 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch   Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graveyard, The Sword, Clutch
Page 1 of 1