Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Nail in the CD Coffin?

Go down 
+11
Rex
Metal Misfit
Stender
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Schbopo
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
manny
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:51 pm

As long as I can see and hear a movie, I don't need HD...or Blu-Ray...DVD is fine with me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:51 pm

When DVDs came out, I rebought all my old VHS tapes on DVD. This was before I knew you could just burn copies of DVDs. Of course, not that I would do that. Smile

My point is, I don't care what comes out next. I'm keeping my CDs and DVDs. That's as far as I go.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37668

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 pm

spectrefate wrote:
When DVDs came out, I rebought all my old VHS tapes on DVD. This was before I knew you could just burn copies of DVDs. Of course, not that I would do that. Smile

My point is, I don't care what comes out next. I'm keeping my CDs and DVDs. That's as far as I go.

I have only "re-bought" a few VHS movies on DVD, then I sold off all of my VHS tapes at a yard sale a couple of years ago. To be honest, I don't miss any of'em. That format sucked. Laughing

I never have time to watch DVDs anyway so I don't buy a lot of'em, unless I find'em real cheap. I think I have maybe 50 DVDs tops. My kids have a bigger DVD collection than I do.

If and when Blu-Ray ever becomes the norm and "regular" DVDs get phased out though, I understand that a Blu-Ray player will play "old" DVDs, so whenever I do have to upgrade, at least I won't have to go re-buying anything.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm

I rebought a few things on DVD...but many of my VHS fell into the "why the hell did I buy this?" category...

I'm with Spec...CD's & DVD's are as far as I go with new formats...well, ripping my CD's to my iPod...but that's it...no memory cards, flash drives, HD-Super-Blu-Ray-Audio...keep it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:05 pm

spectrefate wrote:

I am with Spec I am not going to keep replacing my music and movies everytime a new format is introduced. I am sticking to CD's and DVD's, I have already spent enough money replacing old vinyl and VHS tapes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:13 pm

I keep trying but I know deep in my heart that I will never finish upgrading all of my old cassettes to CD. I've still got about 100 or so to go and I don't have the time or $ to go dumpster-diving in used CD stores like I used to. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:16 pm

Do you listen to those old cassettes, Freddy?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:18 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Do you listen to those old cassettes, Freddy?

Once in a blue moon, yea. I have a couple scattered around the inside of my car, which still has a tape deck. The rest are in a box in my closet. A while ago my son found them and asked me what they were, and I said "Those are Daddy's tapes." He said "what are tapes?" and I said "The CDs of the 1980s" Laughing

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:21 pm

I used to love cassettes but just hearing albums close to the way they were meant to sound on a CD just made get rid of all the old tapes. It wasn't until I got the CD in 1995 that I heard the entire second side of Fates Warning's Spectre Within because my tape was jacked up. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:23 pm

I still have like 60 cassettes to replace, some of them I doubt I will get around to replacing, I still listen to them once in awhile, and a few these cds go in and out of print on all the time like White Lion's Fight to Survive and Gillan discography which have mostly on cassette. If I had more expendable money I will have completed uptrading to CD by now.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:24 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I used to love cassettes but just hearing albums close to the way they were meant to sound on a CD just made get rid of all the old tapes. It wasn't until I got the CD in 1995 that I heard the entire second side of Fates Warning's Spectre Within because my tape was jacked up. Smile

Yea, I was a cassette fiend too. Back in the day I must've had close to 500 of'em. The only reason my brother and I finally switched over to CDs was because we noticed that every time we went to Tower Records (side note: GAWD I miss Tower Records...!), the cassette department was getting smaller and smaller while the CD section kept getting bigger and bigger. We finally saw the writing on the wall and went halfsies on a CD player in '92 or early '93.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

I still have some old cassettes - still have Live to die by bride on cassette - the liner notes are so small I can't barely read it! They didn't sound as good as vinyl, but they were portable. The sound quality of cassettes did get better in the late 80's (right before they died!)

On Blu-ray, I got one for my B-day (I waited until the format war was over - no way was I buying a betamax!) - they play Blu-ray, DVD and CD, and the other related rewriteable materials. I also waited for the newer bluray generation - this one has an ethernet port so you can upgrade the firmware - it's pretty much "upgrade" proof (unless bluray gives way to a new format).

I won't be "upgrading" my DVD collection to Bluray, just buying new ones on blu ray as they come out.

And 8 Track did SUCK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Nail in the CD Coffin?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3