Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Nail in the CD Coffin?

Go down 
+11
Rex
Metal Misfit
Stender
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Schbopo
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
manny
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Why can't we have this kind of united front toward TheGooch? Smile I actually like this Schobopo kid.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:51 pm

I have a full 8 track system that I think is the bomb, the only cassettes I have for it are...Gary Puckett and the union gaps--greatest hits, Rolling Stones--beggers banquet, and Tommy James and the shondelles--best of.

I dont know much about the sound quality of those older medias, but I think 8 track sounds pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
That's all I need. Music on tiny little memory cards that are easily lost (or if you have small children, carried away and hidden, or even worse, swallowed).

Exactly my thoughts.

tohostudios wrote:
I don't even have anything that would play these damn, stupid memory cards. Why the hell would I play it on a cell phone anyway? Until cells come with subwoofers, I'll stick with a stereo.

Again, same here. Razz
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:10 am

I will resist this microchip music as long as they make cd's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 10:35 am

I don't think CD's will ever go away totally either...for the simple fact that A- Underground genres will rebel against anything else and B- your average person can't hear the difference between a CD and DVD-Audio or SACD (which is one big reason those formats never took off). Your severe audiophiles may try and latch on, but for most people (the kind of people corporate radio and MTV market to), they can't tell the difference between a CD and a 96kb MP3 or a radio broadcast...they want what's easiest for them.

Cassettes killed vynil for portability, CD's killed cassettes for durability over years of play & sound. These were two events your average consumer could get behind quite easily. MP3's haven't killed it, just slowed it down...again, because it was easy. I do believe that, if labels kept things closer to cost, (like not charging $19.99 for a CD it cost them $4 to make), CD's could pick up a little again. But I see this memory card format going the way of the mini-disc...nowhere.

Even vynil and cassettes still exist for underground genres. Nothing is going to kill CD's...especially in underground Metal...
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 10:48 am

CD's are the ManOwaR of music formats!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 am

Rex wrote:

So,you're saying CD's are merry?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:02 am

thrasher73 wrote:
Rex wrote:

So,you're saying CD's are merry?

I've yet to buy a CD with a fur covered slipcase.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:16 am

They are strong and cannot be killed by the dragon!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:24 am

Stender wrote:
I have a full 8 track system that I think is the bomb, the only cassettes I have for it are...Gary Puckett and the union gaps--greatest hits, Rolling Stones--beggers banquet, and Tommy James and the shondelles--best of.

I dont know much about the sound quality of those older medias, but I think 8 track sounds pretty good.

8-tracks sucked in every way possible. They sounded bad, they faded out in the middle of songs to switch tracks, the artwork sucked, etc. etc.

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:32 am

ultmetal wrote:
Stender wrote:

8-tracks sucked in every way possible. They sounded bad, they faded out in the middle of songs to switch tracks, the artwork sucked, etc. etc.

+1

I hated 8-tracks...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Stender wrote:

+1

I hated 8-tracks...

+10
I hate 8- tracks, the worst thing to have happened to music til MTV came along.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Makes cd's cheaper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 3:40 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Makes cd's cheaper

That's part of what I was getting at...if CD's were $7.99 for a single and $11.99 for a double or special edition, I think they'd be selling better...not like in the 90's, but better than they are now...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:47 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
detuned wrote:
Why?

Cuz I liked em.

Everybody knows that manufactured cassettes used to suck. I would buy the vinyl and burn my own tape from it because I could run the signal through an EQ first.

There were a few exceptions but generally, cassettes from the record companies sounded like crap.

Indeed they did, and I hated cassettes generally, for that exact reason.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:10 am

Quote :
But I see this memory card format going the way of the mini-disc...nowhere.

What happened to that format? I remember seeing them a long time ago then poof they were gone. Did they sound as good as normal cd's?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 am

troublezone wrote:
Quote :

What happened to that format? I remember seeing them a long time ago then poof they were gone. Did they sound as good as normal cd's?

I'm sure they sounded fine...but they weren't practical and you had to buy a whole new format of player when CD was booming like crazy...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 am

troublezone wrote:
Quote :

No, they compressed frequencies to save disc space, similar to the way MP3's work...but they sounded worse than that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 am

Does anybody remember the short lived "Digital Compact Cassette" (or "DCC") that appeared briefly in the early 90s? The idea was they were similar to plain ol' cassettes but the tape was of higher quality, therefore the sound quality was supposedly equal to that of CDs. You had to buy a new player, of course, but you could use your old cassettes in a DCC player and it would supposedly make your old tapes sound better too.

I was working in the electronics department of a K-Mart when they rolled those things out.... we had a huge display of the players and a bunch of the tapes (I remember Kiss' REVENGE was one of the titles available) but to the best of my knowledge we never sold a single one of 'em...players OR tapes... I came in to work one day after a month or so and the entire display had mysteriously disappeared overnight... I said "Well, so much for that" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:33 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette

Yup, that's them.

Quote :
The DCC was discontinued after October 1996.

They didn't hang around the store I worked in for that long! They were gone pretty quick!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:21 pm

Wow, I never heard of those until just now. They must not have done well at all. Damn.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Wow, I never heard of those until just now. They must not have done well at all. Damn.

Years from now, people will be saying the same thing about HD-DVD. Haha!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm

HD-DVD is the Laserdisc of the 00's. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:48 pm

I am sooooo glad I was too broke to take part in the recent DVD format war. I'll stick with my plain ol' DVD player, thanx. Besides, I probably would've invested in the losing side and now I'd be stuck with an HD-DVD player.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Nail in the CD Coffin?   Another Nail in the CD Coffin? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Nail in the CD Coffin?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next