Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest

Go down 
+25
Troublezone
glassprison
Gilbert
tohostudios
Wrecked Neck
Lari
James B.
Glower
MoonChild
SAHB Healer
Leatherface
thejokeriv
XYZ
TheGooch
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
Lurideath
skullsmasher
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
mc666
Mattallica667
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Judas Priest - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 5:51 pm

Hey Lari: cheers 

Travis is 60, so is that considered young?
As far as a JP franchise goes, WTH Laughing very hard

A franchise can't write a riff, a hook, a vocal melody, a solo that stays true to an originators sound. How many JP clones were ever successful outside of a niche European market, much less wrote stuff in the same league? 

You can't just ask a singer and a guitar to player to sit down and BOOM! get a JP tune.
If it is just gonna be new guys doing a JP tribute show no interest in that by me, and probably not by tons of other Priest fans.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 7:30 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Why take KK back at all? His pet project Nostradamus was absolute trash and the two albums without him have been good to great. KK is only whining because he made terrible investments and lost all his money. I don't see the point in bringing him back.
Funny because I seem to read more about Halford pushing for that album, and how disappointment he is in not being able to do the shows they had planned. He's also been quoted as saying he wished that it could still be in the cards for a future tour. Pretty sure Nostradamus was a group effort, and to call it trash is comical. It has some filler, but there is some amazing songs on it. Point of bringing him back is he's a great guitarist that helped shape metal the way it is today. He is due just a bit of respect for that at least.

It's well known that KK was the impetus behind Nostradamus. I'm not saying the other band members didn't like it or anything, it's just that he took it very personally when it stiffed.

It's a bloated album and a really stupid move after re-establishing themselves with Angel Of Retribution. Using one of their worst songs - "Loch Ness" - as a template for a new album is idiocy. Of course it stiffed.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 7:37 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Why take KK back at all? His pet project Nostradamus was absolute trash and the two albums without him have been good to great. KK is only whining because he made terrible investments and lost all his money. I don't see the point in bringing him back.

Apparently Nostradamus has gained a pretty decent cult following. Did KK mastermind the Demolition album? I think that might have been more bashed by the fans when it was released. Was Turbo KK’s idea? I’m pretty sure Tipton was the shot-caller on those. You maybe partly right about the financial mishap, but it sounds more like a convenient excuse from fans that dislike him.

You point to the last two albums sounding good without him…
When you have a controlled environment in the studio with two great producers at the helm, it’s hard to go wrong. And Priest isn’t just about the studio albums. Their main attraction was the live shows. KK was an integral part of the dual guitar sound for decades. It’s second nature.

KK made a series of well documented terrible business decisions and lost his shirt. This has nothing to do with who does or doesn't like him. https://search.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-downing-on-collapse-of-his-luxury-golf-course-venture-i-made-a-few-rubbish-business-moves/

Priest is by far my favorite band but I don't have rose colored glasses on about them and their decisions. As far as KK is concerned he's not been missed at all either on stage or in the studio. Would it be cool if he was back? Sure, but he's hardly essential at this point.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 pm

If you've read KK's book, Nostradamus came from a suggestion from their management. KK was really into the idea, though, for some reason.

He seemed to have unrealistic expectations for it... he thought they should take it on the road playing it in its entirety like they were Trans-Siberian Orchestra or something.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 7:51 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
If you've read KK's book, Nostradamus came from a suggestion from their management. KK was really into the idea, though, for some reason.

He seemed to have unrealistic expectations for it... he thought they should take it on the road playing it in its entirety like they were Trans-Siberian Orchestra or something.

Yeah, that's what I remember from when I read it.

Priest's management has always been terrible. Just look at the state of their back catalog and reissues. They have no idea what they are doing.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 10:20 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Funny because I seem to read more about Halford pushing for that album, and how disappointment he is in not being able to do the shows they had planned. He's also been quoted as saying he wished that it could still be in the cards for a future tour. Pretty sure Nostradamus was a group effort, and to call it trash is comical. It has some filler, but there is some amazing songs on it. Point of bringing him back is he's a great guitarist that helped shape metal the way it is today. He is due just a bit of respect for that at least.

It's well known that KK was the impetus behind Nostradamus. I'm not saying the other band members didn't like it or anything, it's just that he took it very personally when it stiffed.

It's a bloated album and a really stupid move after re-establishing themselves with Angel Of Retribution. Using one of their worst songs - "Loch Ness" - as a template for a new album is idiocy. Of course it stiffed.

Rob took it personal too, and why wouldn't they? If I worked on something and poured my heart into it for a year or more, and it got shit on then I'd take it personal, as well as just about everyone else it the world. Do you like it better when your boss says you did a good job on something, or when they say you really screwed up? Same thing. If a boss jumps down my throat, I take it personal, right or wrong, so why should a band be any different?

Far as it being a stupid move, I disagree. They earned the right to try something different, it didn't work, so they moved on and did what they do best. Just happened to be without KK anymore. But lets say he was still in the band for Redeemer, do you think it would be better or worse? Far as him being missed goes, that's rubbish. You don't think the fans would go crazy if he just popped on stage and did a show with them? You're lying to yourself if you think not. Essential? Can't answer that since we have no clue what kind of albums could have been if he was still writing them with the band. I'll take his solo album any day over that garbage Glenn released years ago.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 11:53 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Rob took it personal too, and why wouldn't they? If I worked on something and poured my heart into it for a year or more, and it got shit on then I'd take it personal, as well as just about everyone else it the world. Do you like it better when your boss says you did a good job on something, or when they say you really screwed up? Same thing. If a boss jumps down my throat, I take it personal, right or wrong, so why should a band be any different?

Far as it being a stupid move, I disagree. They earned the right to try something different, it didn't work, so they moved on and did what they do best. Just happened to be without KK anymore. But lets say he was still in the band for Redeemer, do you think it would be better or worse? Far as him being missed goes, that's rubbish. You don't think the fans would go crazy if he just popped on stage and did a show with them? You're lying to yourself if you think not. Essential? Can't answer that since we have no clue what kind of albums could have been if he was still writing them with the band. I'll take his solo album any day over that garbage Glenn released years ago.

Priest can do whatever they want, but it was clearly the wrong move because Nostradamus did nothing for their careers. It was a bizarre choice at the wrong time from a business standpoint. Nobody at all was asking for a bloated concept album from Priest of all bands. They aren't Iron Maiden - thank God!

I'm sure Redeemer would have been fine with KK but the problem with that album was Tipton's bizarre production/mixing choices.

I'm sure fans would be excited to see KK on stage. He obviously is not missed in the studio if you listen to KK's Priest which is not very good at all. I found it to be rather lifeless affair.

Tipton's solo album was not very good.

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 1:49 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

They aren't Iron Maiden - thank God!
Tipton's solo album was not very good.

Well finally a couple things we can agree on lol

Still say Nostradamus was better than most Priest fans give it credit for. If it was released by Maiden, they would have praised it was the best thing since sliced bread. Yes like I Saud, there are some boring parts in it, but I think overall it's a very good album.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 2:27 am

Lari wrote:
I always wanted Priest to continue on with the younger members (Ripper, Travis etc), and keep holding the flame. To make the band more like a franchise, where members can change, but the story just keeps going on. It's never about one band member, but the logo and the vision. Like a sports franchise.

The Cowboys could have used Troy Aikman though, the way the eliminated themselves...

I feel the same way about my favourite bands. Riot would be one of the examples. Still going on strong and releasing awesome music.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 10:33 am

Gilbert wrote:

I feel the same way about my favourite bands. Riot would be one of the examples. Still going on strong and releasing awesome music.

(IMHDO) It is not the same thing as Priest. Root never sold albums or headliner arenas.. There is not that name recognition and what percentage of people seeing  Riot V at a club know they were Riot, much less name a Riot song or album from 40 years ago. Hard to franchise something that is just an obscure version of a cult band.

Not to mention, awesome music is subjective. I don't care for much of what Riot did after Guy split. Cool ya dig them and get enjoyment from their music. 
cheers

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Apparently Nostradamus has gained a pretty decent cult following. Did KK mastermind the Demolition album? I think that might have been more bashed by the fans when it was released. Was Turbo KK’s idea? I’m pretty sure Tipton was the shot-caller on those. You maybe partly right about the financial mishap, but it sounds more like a convenient excuse from fans that dislike him.

When you have a controlled environment in the studio with two great producers at the helm, it’s hard to go wrong. And Priest isn’t just about the studio albums. Their main attraction was the live shows. KK was an integral part of the dual guitar sound for decades. It’s second nature.

KK made a series of well documented terrible business decisions and lost his shirt. This has nothing to do with who does or doesn't like him. https://search.blabbermouth.net/news/k-k-downing-on-collapse-of-his-luxury-golf-course-venture-i-made-a-few-rubbish-business-moves/

Priest is by far my favorite band but I don't have rose colored glasses on about them and their decisions. As far as KK is concerned he's not been missed at all either on stage or in the studio. Would it be cool if he was back? Sure, but he's hardly essential at this point.  

How can you say that KK has not been missed by fans? I haven’t seen any surveys about it… but I’ve read plenty of comments from fans wanting him back. Unfortunately, Priest are stubborn. I have a feeling Scott Travis would want him back. In fact, I’m sure they all would except for Tipton.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 am

Troublezone wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Not missed as in his absence is not felt on stage on in the studio. Richie Faulkner is fine on stage and in the studio. It would be different if their albums without KK had been terrible, but they haven't been.

How can you say that KK has not been missed by fans? I haven’t seen any surveys about it… but I’ve read plenty of comments from fans wanting him back. Unfortunately, Priest are stubborn. I have a feeling Scott Travis would want him back. In fact, I’m sure they all would except for Tipton.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest   Judas Priest - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5